system upgrade, do I need it?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Firstly, hello all. I've been reading product reviews the past couple of nights with a view to getting a Denon DM35DAB or an Onkyo CR-515DAB, I've pretty much decided on the Onkyo with some Q Acoustics 1020's. However my question is about my current setup, which I've had for about 10 years. I've not upgraded it in this time as I've put other priorities first, but feel that now is the moment.
Firstly my speakers are some shocking Wharfdales which I feel let the package down, they are 'Modus four, 100W, 8 Ohm'
Amp is a Technics SU-A600 Mk3 (170W) (40w RMS)
CD Player is a Technics SL-PG390
I suppose that these seperates aren't all that special by todays standards but I was wondering if I invested in some quality speakers and a DAB tuner (£350 max budget) would I end up with a decent setup, or shoud I just flog off what I've got cheap and put the money towards the Onkyo?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi and welcome
emotion-2.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="pptom"]Firstly, hello all. I've been reading product reviews the past couple of nights with a view to getting a Denon DM35DAB or an Onkyo CR-515DAB, I've pretty much decided on the Onkyo with some Q Acoustics 1020's. However my question is about my current setup, which I've had for about 10 years. I've not upgraded it in this time as I've put other priorities first, but feel that now is the moment.
Firstly my speakers are some shocking Wharfdales which I feel let the package down, they are 'Modus four, 100W, 8 Ohm'
Amp is a Technics SU-A600 Mk3 (170W) (40w RMS)
CD Player is a Technics SL-PG390
I suppose that these seperates aren't all that special by todays standards but I was wondering if I invested in some quality speakers and a DAB tuner (£350 max budget) would I end up with a decent setup, or shoud I just flog off what I've got cheap and put the money towards the Onkyo?
[/quote]

With only £350 to spend, i'd go for the Onkyo - it sounds fantastic for a micro, especially - as you're already planning - to buy the system on its own with a better pair of speakers.

A

Anonymous

I'd actually keep the Technics,it was a good £200 amp,and the 390 CD player was a entry level machine of the same period,if it's still working well,I'd keep it,I always have a special place for Technics,so I'd put the £350 to better speakers myself.

If doubtful,listen to the Onkyo and compare to the Technics,that way your more sure in your own mind.

A

Anonymous

Trouble is that i can't find anywhere locally (northants) with either an Onkyo or Denon and some Q Acoustics for me to listen to. Bearing in mind that for the £350 I not only want speakers but a DAB tuner aswell, does anyone have any suggestions?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
John Lewis (including John Lewis.com) stock the Onkyo (for £279) and offer a 28-day money-back guarantee (as long as you don't damage the product or packaging). Sure some of the other big retailers do the same, which will give you the opportunity to try it at home.

It's a start!

A

Anonymous

Good price inc std speakers and delivery, are the QA 1020's really worth £70 extra?

But now I'm intrigued by the Technics option!

A

Anonymous

went to a currys this morning, they list the 515 on their website, but they only had a 315 in the store. To be honest it sounded pretty poor with the standard speakers, worse than I'd expected and nowhere near my current setup!

A

Anonymous

Told you,hehehe. Do you really want DAB?I can't see that format going anywhere,a bit of a white elephant?

A

Anonymous

I listen to various DAB stations loads at home on my little portable set which is now about knackered. So its essential!, What pair of speakers would you recomment for around £200?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I think this all depends on how you see your hi-fi life going over the next few years. The beauty of separates is that you can upgrade one bit at a time, something you will never be able to do with the Onkyo.

If I were you I would upgrade your speakers now, as you have admitted that these are the weakest link, then buy a DAB tuner separate in a few months and then over the next couple of years start saving to upgrade first the CD player and then the amp.

You don't have to buy new, retailers always have ex demo models and there are some great bargains on eBay - you can be assured that most people with decent kit will look after it.

IMHO I think a good separates system will have you cooing, an Onkyo maybe not!

Anyway that's my tuppence worth.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
By the way speaker choice depends on what sort of music you like. To spend £200 new you are looking at the Monitor Audio BR2s or perhaps something from B&W. I would also be tempted to throw in some EPOS m12.2s and some AVI Neutron IV, although you would almost certainly have to get these last 2 models 2nd hand. Get you local dealer to let you listen to a few.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I'd second the 'keep the Technics' suggestions. It was a great little amp, designed in the days when Arcams ruled the Earth - or at least the UK hi-fi market - as a means of taking on the Brits at their own game. Lots of British design input, and a very nice sound. The player isn't quite in the same league - I'd be looking for a 'pre-loved' Marantz CD-63MkII KI as a possible replacement - but I think the other posters are on the money with the speaker suggestions.

TRENDING THREADS