system update/upgrade advice

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there, new user, but longtime hi-fi enthusiast

the usual background: over the past year or two, my cdplayer has had trouble reading probably half of my cd's. it sounds like it's trying to dila up an internet connection, then fails.

it is my own fault, as i stacked my amp on top (uh-oh, instant banishment?)

so, i figured it's time for an upgrade of some sorts.

i'm dithering between replacing just the cdp, thereby retaining the amp's sounds, which i love; or replacing both cdp and amp, and starting afresh.

my existing system hails from 1998: arcam alpha 7 cdp, arcam alpha 8 amp, which is then bi-wired through a pair of kef q35s.

having read several threads and reviews, i am at a bit of a loss as to why some folks don't like the 'warm sound' given by the arcam. i have had no issues with it.

the FTW seems to be the marantz cd6004/pm6004 combo, and the current prices are equally as attractive.

i do wonder if just replacing the cdp would be too much of a mismatch with an older amp, or if the marantz would be too different to what i'm used to listening?

my musical tastes remain grounded in the rock/metal genres, although i listen to all sorts including 'world music', electronic stuff, right through to Floyd, Rush, Porcupine Tree etc.

i will admit to not having demo'd anything, which i'm sure is something you will suggest doing.

any advice is welcome

Thanks in advance

Neil

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
If you're happy spinning the silver discs for the foreseeable future, just replacing the CD player with a recent Marantz 6004 or 6003 should be worth a try.

If you're feeling more adventurous and thinking about upgrading the amp, you should also think about if you will also upgrade the speakers, as amp/speaker matching is more critical than source/amp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts