System Rehaul Advice

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I recently sold my Arcam A70 (not enough power for my speakers at the time, dark, flabby bass) and my B&W 684s (too much sound for my apartment and liked to be played loud), so I am in the market for a new set up. I've dwindled down my choices, but I'm unable to audition the equipment because there are no dealers even remotely close to me. So, from review advice and hopefully the great advice you folks can give, could you help me create my new system?

I currently have a CA 540C that I'll keep as my digital source. I also have a Chord Crimson interconnect, Wireworld Luna interconnect, and Wireworld Luna 16/4 speaker cable.

My choices are locked to the following because I'll be able to purchase the entire system at a good price from one dealer. Also, my living room is small and a good intimate system is what I'm after. No plunging bass, no offensive treble. Solid imaging, spacious soundstaging, and pacy drive.

I definitely want to go analog with a Rega P1. I'd like to try a Pro-ject Debut III, but the Rega is what is on offer from the retailer I'll make the purchase from. I'm also thinking a CA 540P for the stage.

If I go with an amplifier I'm thinking CA 340A which I can get quite cheaply, almost 1/2 price, or the NAD C315BEE which I would pay full price for. Is the NAD much better for it's price, or given the discount CA 340A should I go for it? (The CA 340A is not an SE model, we don't have it across the pond)

If I choose a traditional hi-fi amp, then I'm thinking CA S30's which I can get for over 1/2 off, or should I pay twice that for Mercury F1 Customs?

Lastly, I'm intrigued by the option of going for Audioengine A5's to simplify the system and save on the purchase of an amp/speaker setup. Would I be short-changing myself by getting the A5's or would they be suitable for the setup with Rega P1?

I would like a good synergistic system and that is mainly what I'm trying to create. Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time and advice.

T

the record spot

As for your t/t, the P1 is fine, if you can twiggle the budget a bit, then the P2 would be the better buy (I think it's only slightly more expensive, but appreciate that may not be an option if availability is an issue). The P1 is fine, but the P2 will give anything a run for the money up to not too far off the P3.

Amp - I'd go for the NAD. The same reasons for buying it, you could apply to the CA340. Both fine amps, I just have a liking for what NAD do and have a still working 3020A from 1986!

Speakers - of the two, the Tannoys. Think the S30 enjoyed a good review, but the Tannoys were pretty special on release enjoying a lot of favourable coverage.

A

Anonymous

RS is spot on as ever. The only thing I'd add is that you might want to try the Rega fono mini as the phono pre-amp instead of the CA one.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts