System mods

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
It was very difficult trying to disagree with Mrs Fubar's reasoning that the expense of buying, repairing and upgrading the Cyrus 2+PSX needs to be met by selling something else. Consequently this afternoon I've spent some time ripping out my Marantz PM66 SE KI and cleaning it up with a view to selling it, and instated the C2+PSX.

So as it now stands, we have a 2010 Mac Mini running iTunes, HRT Streamer II+, mkII Cyrus tuner, Samsung BD player (God knows what model, I know it only cost me about £50 years ago), a Panasonic dumb TV (it was smart but at five years old the so-called smart features are slowly dropping off), Cyrus 2+PSX, Wii (kids') and EB Acoustics EB2. Out of shot is my Thorens TD160. I still have to tidy the wires, but I reckon this is how it'll stay for a while now.

IMG_2749_zpsyektzvop.jpg

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Forgot to say still in storage are my Nakamichi DR1 and my CD63 KI, but the 63KI is probably on dangerous ground and could be up for sale with the amp or afterwards.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Cheers Cno, yeah it does actually look quite neat especially with the cupboard door shut. Or should I say it will do when I've re-hidden all the wires.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. Just need to figure out a way to connect my TT when I fancy a vinyl fix. It's sat on the cabinet you can just see on the right hand side of the photograph. I could be wrong but I suspect a 2m male-to-female RCA extension lead won't exactly do wonders for the sound quality.

Cynic-al

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Thanks. Just need to figure out a way to connect my TT when I fancy a vinyl fix. It's sat on the cabinet you can just see on the right hand side of the photograph. I could be wrong but I suspect a 2m male-to-female RCA extension lead won't exactly do wonders for the sound quality.
Found a discussion online regarding the same.

output impedance of the cartridge is the critical link here. Most phono preamps will have a fairly high input impedance. OTOH, the output impedance of cartridges can be all over the place.

If the cartridge has a low output impedance it can drive a long cable without worrying about high frequency attenuation, as the capacitance will not come into play unless the cartridge has a higher output impedance.

A short cable is still desirable due to the chance of noise pickup, but once again that is less of an issue with a low output impedance cartridge.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
drummerman said:
Very nice and may you enjoy for a long time to come.

Hope I do, I'm under very strict instructions to do so. Mrs Fubar does not fully understand the concept of upgrading, and views the HiFi in the same way I perhaps view the fridge or the washer, ie you replace it if it breaks.

TRENDING THREADS