Switch to BT and problems.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Switched to BT Infinity broadband and TV. Cocked order up was without BT TV and Disney channel for 3 weeks.

Now i want to upgrade from 20Gb useage to unlimited haveing used 60Gb in first month! Easy hey? Keep my offer of free braodband for 6 months? All i want is to pay whatever the offer on unlimited was at the time of taking out 20Gb. NO i must pay the full £23 and lose all my offer straight away. Unreasonable profitering? Evidently this is an impossible request. Any thoughts simular experiences way around it?

daveh75

Im no fan of BT, but personally I think its you that's being unreasonable.

You agreed to a deal and the t&cs that come along with it, and now you've realised it isn't suitable, you expect them to honour (and backdate) a different one.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
OK, but all i want to do is upgrade, surely a fair deal would be to make me pay the difference? It wont cost them anything surely its common sence, they wanted my custom in the first place thats why they made the offer. Now they think they have me they are not giving me the offer as i need to upgrade. Surely this is how they lose customers, I am not asking for somthing for nothing i will pay the differance. Its moraly the sensible thing to do. Found this on there website
What happens to my contract if I upgrade my BT Broadband to a higher option?

When you upgrade your BT Broadband - for example from Broadband to Unlimited Broadband extra - you transfer with it any discounts as well as the remaining months of your current contract.

daveh75

It isn't costing them nothing. Apart from the fact ISPs make very little on those type of deals in the first place, the support/staff doesn't come for free.

The moral and grown up thing to do would be to take responsibility for your mistake...

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Just to add i phoned back and they have done it straight away did not even have to quote there upgrade policy of transfering discounts. So ill just pay and extra £5.99 for unlimited instead of free for the first 6 months. Now so this impossible task esculated to a supervisor who said no, me e-mailing a complaint, was completly unnecessary as it was possible and commonsence.

dave while i appreciate youre honesty in your reply and not just telling me what i wanted to hear it made no sence at all and that has been proven as they did it straight away with no pressure or esculation somebody in BT cost BT time and money in getting it wrong again. Im not a complaing person and dislike the way service staff are treated in resturants etc by people not accepting mistakes and taking the moral high ground.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
daveh, I appreciate he's stuck in a contract that he stupidly agreed to, but I don't think it's unreasonable to think that BT might migrate him to the more expensive package without sticking the knife in. That's more Ryanair's business model - BT (thin margin or not) are meant to be one of the premium suppliers.

That said, the experience I've had with BT has been the most stressful and painful of my life. (And I negotiate stressful and painful contracts for a living). Apparently my local cabinet is open for fibre tomorrow. BT (contract expired ten days ago) will be binned and will never again receive my business.

stavvy

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
left BT after I continually went over my allowance even though I use the internet at home very lightly (no downloading films, music or games and only very occaisionally watching iplayer). They also couldn't explain why my usage went up 5Gb the week I was on holiday! A quick google reveals threads with streams of people saying the same thing. Not an issue if you have unlimited usage but still, sneaky. Changed to sky and although now unlimited my montly usage is about a third of what BT insisted it was (and thats me using iplayer and downloading movie a lot more than I did before).

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Big Aura said:
daveh, I appreciate he's stuck in a contract that he stupidly agreed to, but I don't think it's unreasonable to think that BT might migrate him to the more expensive package without sticking the knife in.

How would you suggest I "cleverly" get Broadband fibre into my house without a contract?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm moving to BT in two weeks. I realise they're probably not perfect but if they can at least improve on the shambles of a 'service' that I've suffered at the hands of Talk Talk for several years, I'll be happy.

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
I was with Sky broadband before and can genuinely say that their customer service was excellent. Any problems I did have were quickly resolved. I stupidly cancelled my contract with them when switching to bt infinity. So contract had to be opened again which I thought would be a nightmare. They were great and sorted out in what I thought was a reasonable length of time.. They were quick on the phones too. Bt are slow to pick up. No problems with infinity so far..

john

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
I recently left Sky having left Talk Talk before that, I agree that Sky's customer service was pretty good, always managed to get someone on the phone pretty quickly and had any minor faults dealt with. I left Sky for Virgin as I have 3 kids who are constantly on line along with smart tv, laptops, tablets and phones which slowed things down with Sky (Fibre) dramatically - got VM's 152MB BB now and it works fantastically well. Not had to use theiir customer service dept as yet...

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I would probably have gone with Virgin if we had cable. But cable comes no closer than within 250yds of my house in any direction, and after 15 years of that being the case, it seems highly unlikely now that will ever change.

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
That's a shame Major, I was limited to a fibre connection by BT, Sky or VM - both BT and Sky were limited to 38MB though so VM was an easy decision. It's not so much the speed but the available bandwidth that works so well - I have about a dozen or more devices always connected and I constantly get a wireless speed of around 120MB on my phone.

Boggit, I would go for the 60MB BT connection if you need the extra bandwidth.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I would mind slightly less if there weren't spates where the adverts for it in papers and in the media are absolutely shoved down our throats like we all have the choice to subscribe to it, yet last time I checked only 46% of the UK was covered.

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
grdunn123 said:
I recently left Sky having left Talk Talk before that, I agree that Sky's customer service was pretty good, always managed to get someone on the phone pretty quickly and had any minor faults dealt with. I left Sky for Virgin as I have 3 kids who are constantly on line along with smart tv, laptops, tablets and phones which slowed things down with Sky (Fibre) dramatically - got VM's 152MB BB now and it works fantastically well. Not had to use theiir customer service dept as yet...

152mB!! That is fast. I am delighted with my new 26mB infinity.. Using it loads and loads. Sky go on iPad especially. On season 2 of the west wing. Before it would be pixelated and buffer for the 1st minute. Now it doesn't buffer at all. I was only getting 6 or 7mB.

Thats a good houseful of streaming there. Our youngest has just started on postman pat on iPlayer. Next due 1st week in March... Not long!!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
stavvy said:
left BT after I continually went over my allowance even though I use the internet at home very lightly (no downloading films, music or games and only very occaisionally watching iplayer). They also couldn't explain why my usage went up 5Gb the week I was on holiday! A quick google reveals threads with streams of people saying the same thing. Not an issue if you have unlimited usage but still, sneaky. Changed to sky and although now unlimited my montly usage is about a third of what BT insisted it was (and thats me using iplayer and downloading movie a lot more than I did before).

That sounds suspiciously like someone else had access to your wi-fi, which they now don't have since you've replaced the router. BT do make hotspots available to Openzone customers on their routers, although I'd be surprised if that usage counted against your personal limit.

JMac

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Had VM before and really miss it. Currently on a combo of sky and BT but with sky's latest price hike, they're getting binned off. Whats the quality of BTs TV box like?

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Never really thought about it!! Seems just fine, very good. Interface and remote not as good as Sky. Plus you have to fanny about for the different services but to be honest don't watch much TV any more.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts