surrouns sound speaker distnace!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
hello all

im in the process of building my kit up and i have a 3m room after putting in the couch i will have a viewing distance of 2m which is nice for a 40 inch tv.

the question i have is should the rear speakers(on stands,kef 2005.3) be flush against the back of the couch or is there a minimum distance so i dont become deaf?

and does angline the speakers instead of having them is a straight line still give the same effect?

thanks

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
You should be fine. I don't know what A/V amp you're using, but if it has auto set-up, it'll compensate for the distance to all the speakers, and also apply time delay, so it all sounds as it should.

If you don't have auto set-up, you'll have to input info like distances yourself, but other than taking a bit of time the end result should be the same.

Once it's all installed. Play a film and decide for yourself. If you think the levels are wrong, have a bit of a tweak until you're happy.

Oh yeah, almost forgot.......If the speakers are that close, you'll probably want to angle them towards the listening position, but again, experiment and see which sounds best for you.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
It's worth checking one of the online articles about surround sound speaker placement. ÿWhen you say 'rear' speakers, do you actually mean 'surrounds' in a 5.1 set-up? ÿIf so, they need to be rather more at the SIDE than behind - if the TV is 12 o'clock, the speakers at 20 to and 20 past, for example, just behind the sofa but along the side walls.

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hello,

I think really, for cinema sound, the surround speakers are supposed to be at least 90cm away from listeners and high up if you can.

This is because the surround effects are supposed to be more vague in where they come from. You aren't really intended to be able to identify the source of the sound, which you would be able to if the speaker was too close.

The same rule doesn't apply for surround music though.

I'm sure that's what I've read somewhere anyway!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts