Surround sound advice needed

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

Was wondering if anyone could suggest how I can upgrade/better my current living room 'surround' sound set-up.

I currently have a Sky+HD box, PS3 for blu-ray/dvd, and a yamaha soundbar - and herein lies the problem. The soundbar worked surprisingly well in our flat which was small and very square. We now live in a house with a much larger living room that has a massive bay window - and the soundbar now sounds awful/doesn't work well!

My initial thought was to get rid of the PS3 (i dont play games) & soundbar, and just get an all in one like Panasonic BTT 370 or the Sony BDV N590. However, I would ideally like to keep the PS3 as I've spent ages storing my music and dvd collection onto its 250G hard drive from my external hard drive.

Or, is there a speaker package that I could just add to the PS3/Sky box to give it good surround sound? I'm not totally against 2.1 sound set-ups either as I am used to having a sound bar/wide sound stage with no actual rear sound.

Lastly, I would also like to be able to play CD's/Ipod through the system so something that is decent with music is also important - apologies, I know this is a big ask.

Many thanks,

Jonesy.

A

Anonymous

What is your budget?

Also, personally I'd steer clear of the all-in-one systems you mentioned. I used to sell them when I worked at Comet (those were dark days) and those system can never compare to setting up your own.

A

Anonymous

My budget would be upto £400 max ideally.

I understand your point about separates v all in ones but I am up against the aesthetic wants of my other half - the main reason I bought a soundbar in the first place! I also realise that separates cost much more so budget is also a factor in my thinking.

Minimal boxes and wires would be ideal really.

Jonesy

A

Anonymous

I'm currently looking at the Onkyo LS3100 which may suit your needs. I have posted on here and am awaiting feedback from other users. Check out my post but remember I am a virgin to all of this.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
my advice would be to look at local dealers such as richer sounds or sevenoaks.tell them what you want,your budget and see what they come up with... :)

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi DJones1976

DJones1976 said:
I currently have a Sky+HD box, PS3 for blu-ray/dvd, and a yamaha soundbar - and herein lies the problem. The soundbar worked surprisingly well in our flat which was small and very square. We now live in a house with a much larger living room that has a massive bay window - and the soundbar now sounds awful/doesn't work well!

My initial thought was to get rid of the PS3 (i dont play games) & soundbar, and just get an all in one like Panasonic BTT 370 or the Sony BDV N590. However, I would ideally like to keep the PS3 as I've spent ages storing my music and dvd collection onto its 250G hard drive from my external hard drive.

Bearing in mind you already have some seperates ("I currently have a Sky+HD box, PS3 for blu-ray/dvd") you could keep, how about some speakers maybe a set of Tannoy SFX 5.1 & a Sony STRDH820 A/V Receiver? just less than £400 for the lot, I would demo of course before purchase :)

DJones1976 said:
Lastly, I would also like to be able to play CD's/Ipod through the system so something that is decent with music is also important - apologies, I know this is a big ask.

Many thanks,

Jonesy.

It all depends on how decent with music you want your system to be. You could play your CD's on the PS3, most of the newer amps from this year & last years models will connect via a USB to an ipod, or an add on dock.

Regards ..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts