surround advice for Sony BDP s570 - please help

tommyb

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
Hi Guys,

My parents have just purchsed a Sony BDP s570. Now they want a surround sound system for their lounge.

What would be a good suggestion in order to make the most of the decoding within the unit. They aren't serious techies - just want a good surround system to match it. (circa £200)

If no suggestions of actual models - then what types of features should I be looking for? and how should it be connected to the amp for sound?

sorry for the basic question - but I'm not sure what to advise them.

Thanks in advance for your help

A

Anonymous

A

Anonymous

Hi Tommy,

Are you after speakers and an amp for £200? It's not much for both but it might be worthwhile popping into Richer Sounds as they have AV amps starting at £99.95, and 5.1 speaker packages starting at £79.95. There's a couple of Sony amps that should be within budget and would be well matched to the Blu-ray. I'm sure they could sort you something half decent out within, or slightly over your price range depending on what you need...

Do they need/really want surround sound? You would get better sound quality with stereo, especially if the budget is tight... Maybe something along the lines of the Marantz PM5004 at £170 and a pair of Wharfedale 9.0s at £60, and some speaker cable at £20 and you'd be looking at a nice stereo system for just under £250. They would probably throw the speaker cable in for free if you asked nicely.

I think you'd notice the difference in sound quality over a surround setup for the same sort of budget... Either way, for your sort of budget, I don't think you can go far wrong with a visit to RS. They should be able to demo the kit for you too.

A

Anonymous

Good point there! Tommy you have two completely different suggestions their. The full separate system will definitely sound better, just depends what your parents are after!

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site

TRENDING THREADS