Suitable Amplifier for Epos ES14 Speakers?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all, have bit of a quandry...

My amplifier of 22 years vintage is starting to show its age (crackling after running for 30 minutes or so) so looking at buying a replacement. Problem is there's a lot more choice than I remember last time I looked.

So was considering a Creek Destiny 2 but having now seen the Heed Obelisk SI that has tweeked my fancy.

So any words of advice people can offer?

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

Maybe time for an upgrade then ! :)What kind of source( s ) you use? And what musical taste you have? And you already invested in some quality cables?

tterminus said:
Hi all, have bit of a quandry...

My amplifier of 22 years vintage is starting to show its age (crackling after running for 30 minutes or so) so looking at buying a replacement. Problem is there's a lot more choice than I remember last time I looked.

So was considering a Creek Destiny 2 but having now seen the Heed Obelisk SI that has tweeked my fancy.

So any words of advice people can offer?

Thanks.

Hi tterminus

What amplifier are you using?

Is your preference for an integrated amplifier, pre/power or either?

Is there anything in particular you would like the amplifier to have (such as remote, headphone socket, phono input etc.)?

The size of your room?

Your general listening level?

Your overall budget?

What kind of presentation are you looking for the system to reproduce?

In the mean time Naim and Densen amplification is also worth considering as these work very well with ES14 speakers.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys.

So current amplifier is a Technics SU-X901 Integrated.

Main source is a Pioneer DV-575A DVD/DVD-A/SACD. Though I do want to also get a decent DAB/FM radio and some form of digital streamer to go with it.

Options, headphone output would be good but not bothered about input for a turntable as I don't have any vinyl.

Room size, about 26' by 9'.

I listen to anything but suppose main are the likes of rock, grunge, metal, anything of that ilk.

Budget, now that's a contentious issue. Was ideally looking around £1500 for the amplifier but am flexible. Have been looking at the likes of the NAIM Superuniti but balk at the price. Though saying that I would also be adding a DAB/FM radio and streamer perhaps the NAIM doesn't seem quite so expensive (was planning on using a low powered PC I have running linux and combined with perhaps an Arcam rDAC through the SPDIF for the digital side).

Hopefully the speaker cables are good quality as they weren't cheap when I bought them and are chased into the walls.

Listening level, generally around a third of the way up on the dial (maximum output 100 watt @ 8 Ohms), though have sometimes extended to half way when the neighbours are being annoying (have had the amp up to full volume on a couple of occaisions but that was just to see if it would do it without distortion, it did).

Cheers.

Hi tterminus

Thanks for your reply and your welcome.

If Naim's SuperUniti is within budget then have a listen to one with your speakers. I feel the SuperUniti be an excellent match for ES14's and will also suit the genre of music that you listen to just nicely :rockout: I stand to be corrected but as far as i am aware ES14's designer Robin Marshall mainly used Naim amplification to design these speakers :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts