Suggestions appreciated for Arcam setup

eternaloptimist

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
Hi all,

Have just upgraded my components (to Cyrus :) )... as a result my old Arcam gear is going to my sister-in-law:

Arcam A65+ amp, CD 62CD player, T61 tuner.

Will be in a small room and given the 40W amp, am looking for bookshelf speakers which will ideally brighten up a little the restrained Arcam sound, while also (ideally) retaining solid base (sister-in-law's preference) within the limits of the equipment!

Budget is tight, approx. AUS $700 which equates realistically to about GBP £250 - 300 - given Australia may as well be Mars as far as Hifi is concerned....

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Hi

Yup, your right - although very good for the money, the A65+ does need a little encouragement to bring the best from it. My A65 is powering Monitor Audio RS6 speakers. Does it sound impressive? Yes.

Given that space is limited, M.A. BR2's spring to mind and should be within your budget. Likewise, Mordaunt Short mezzo 2, although may be over your budget [brand new] you may be able to pick-up an ex-dem pair.

B&W are also a good match for the Arcs, although they do need a decent amount of power - but if it's played in a small room that might not be insignificant.

A

Anonymous

hi eternaloptimist,

I'm also from OZ - and know exactly what you mean with your Mars comment!

I've just upgraded from my Arcam A70 as amongst other things I found it too recessed/restrained with my Quad speakers. What about some Monitor Audios, KEF IQ range or the Usher S520? THe B&W 686 might just squeak in budget-wise. If you're in Melbourne, Carlton audio visual have a reasonable range of bookshelf speakers. I tried the A70 out with my wharfedale diamond 9.1s from my other system, and they sounded quite good (although it was only a quick listen).

Anyway, good luck!

eternaloptimist

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the replies!

I am in Melbourne and actually bought the Cyrus components from Carlton audiovisual.

I am quite fond of B&W - the Arcam was into small B&W bookshelf speakers previously and the Cyrus is into B&W 683s. I will have a look at the B&W 686 and the Monitor Audios as suggested.

Thanks again,

D

eternaloptimist

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
Thanks all.

OK,
So this seems to be the choice:

1. Monitor Audio BR2s for AUS $550 or.....

2. B&W 685s for AUS $799 ("best price" from $999)

I am biased towards B&Ws due to experience with them, but is the extra money worth it???

Any advice appreciated!

Cheers,

D

A

Anonymous

I also note that audiotrends in ringwood have the Rega R1s on special for $700 down from $999

See link: http://www.audiotrends.com.au/documents/Bargains_08April09_doc.pdf

eternaloptimist

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
Thanks jrwright, will check out the R1s.
Unfortunately the Rega R2s at Carlton audiovisual have all just sold out... :(

Just had a thought from left field.....

Although I have been looking at deciding between the MA BR2s and B&W 685s... what do people think about the Dali Concept 6 - Dali's entry, entry level floorstander ?? A bit of a left field query... could be wrong on several levels: is an Arcam A65 too underpowered for a 2 1/2 way floorstander, is the Concept 6 too entry level compared to better bookshelf speakers....? The Dali Concept 6 is available for only AUS$777 in Australia and could be quite fun. My sister-in-law does tend to play "bassy" music...

Thanks again for any advice.

Cheers,

D

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I will second the suggestions for any of the Rega R range if you can still get them. (R1 or R3)

I have also recently had a listen to the new Rega RS1 and can vouch for it being a superb speaker system. (Also just been reviewed by another UK magazine and been awarded 5 stars and a 'Best Buy' in a group test.)

You can see from my signature that I am a fan of my Rega R3's with Arcam.

eternaloptimist

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
Absolutely agree. Unfortunately, she lives > 5 hours from Melbourne and light years from Hifi goodness! She has asked me if I would sort out the speakers for her....

eternaloptimist

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
JoelSim:
Dali and Arcam are a very good match.

Thanks JoelSim,

I note you have Dali Ikon 6 speakers which I have heard before and are beautiful. I wonder, though, if the Dali Concept 6 is the ugly ducking in the Dali range as the very entry level speaker. The Dali Concept 6 are so cheap is this comparing apples with apples?

Cheers,

D

roten

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
I agree with eternaloptimist

ÿ

Stay away from Concept. Try to get the Lektor or Ikon series. I have just been listening to some Lektor 1's through Acram gear, and the sound is amazing. I used AVR250 and DV139 trying Metallica, Black Sabbath, Jack Johnson, Powderfinger and Pete Murray + Edvard Grieg for classical. Very good allrounders

A

Anonymous

eternaloptimist:Absolutely agree. Unfortunately, she lives > 5 hours from Melbourne and light years from Hifi goodness! She has asked me if I would sort out the speakers for her....

Whereabouts does she live - SA or NSW?

eternaloptimist

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
Tarquinh:
eternaloptimist:Absolutely agree. Unfortunately, she lives > 5 hours from Melbourne and light years from Hifi goodness! She has asked me if I would sort out the speakers for her....

Whereabouts does she live - SA or NSW?

Far west Victoria, between Hamilton and Portland, <1 hr from the SA border.

D

A

Anonymous

Figured it had to be far west or east. You're right, that's no man's land. How does she survive out there?

TRENDING THREADS