Suggestion for what hifi

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,
I have an idea that has worked on other forums that maybe a idea for what hifi to do. At times I notice that forum topics gets hijacked into debates for example on cables. A couple of other forums I belong to have a seperate forum topic set aside for debates. I think that helps when a person who asks a simple question there query dosent then turn into a debating match or just going around in circles trying to prove who is right and wrong.
Haveing a seperate forum for those who want to debate an issue could be set aside for this, just an idea.
Have a great day everyone :)
Cheers
Steve.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Hi Steve,

Sounds like a good idea, easy to implement... although I'm sure some of the more argumentative types around here will protest and shoot you down in flames. I would post more here but for some of the characters, I let them get on with their age old disagreements. Great entertainment when witnessed from the safety of the side lines! ;-)

Joe Cox

Content Director, What Hi-Fi?
Staff member
May 31, 2007
Visit site
Are all forum threads not for healthy debate, though? Genuine question. And how do you know when a thread will descend in to circular madness? Everyone trying to be civil sounds like a plan, though I know that doesn't always work in theory!

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Joe Cox said:
Are all forum threads not for healthy debate, though? Genuine question. And how do you know when a thread will descend in to circular madness? Everyone trying to be civil sounds like a plan, though I know that doesn't always work in theory!

Yes a forum is a place for discussion or debate, however some threads do seem to get rather tedious, long winded, vicious and with many similar ones can clog up the forum, I notice one other hifi forum bans posts about cables, maybe WHF could do the same or have a sub section for them? Sometimes it seems more like What cable than What hifi.

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

A couple of other forums do it and it works quite well, if for example someone forum topic is cables make no difference to sound, you know that belongs to the debating forums. If someone asks for recommeded cables for nad amp then it would belong tothe hifi or cables section. I suppose it hard if someone asks a question then it goes the way of debates then the moderator asesses the situation.

Have a look at stereo.net.au its well set up with clear guidelines, the section is called the great debate.

Cheers

Steve.

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Ooer, I don't think banning discussion is a good idea, but I do agree that cable threads are generally tedious and longwinded and an excuse for some people to take off the gloves when they're having a bad day (or life) and so maybe they could be moved to the Accessories forum, which seems to me where they should be anyway...perhaps they should be moved there if started in the main h-fi forum, or have a hi-fi Accessories sub fourm and move them there. Maybe if the spotlight was removed from them they wouldn't last so long...egos don't do so well in dimly lit rooms.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
BigH said:
I notice one other hifi forum bans posts about cables, maybe WHF could do the same or have a sub section for them?

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/accessories

Well either it should be pointed out more as many people don't put cable posts on there and the moderator maybe should move all cable and other accessory posts onto that section. As said cables are banned on other forum from the main hifi forum.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
The_Lhc said:
BigH said:
I notice one other hifi forum bans posts about cables, maybe WHF could do the same or have a sub section for them?

Well either it should be pointed out more as many people don't put cable posts on there and the moderator maybe should move all cable and other accessory posts onto that section. As said cables are banned on other forum from the main hifi forum.

There is no "main" hi-fi forum here. There is a Hi-Fi forum but I don't think you can argue it's the "main" forum here, I don't think here has a "main" forum.

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Well, it's the first main forum because it is at the top of the What H-Fi board, it's also called Hi-FI and there are subforums pertaining to hi-fi 'beneath' it, so it's therefore fair to refer to it as the main Hi-Fi forum..in my opinion. It seems to be the most frequently posted in as well, perhaps indicating it's the 'main' forum that people head to when posting regarding Hi-Fi...etc.

Sorry, ;) :silenced: :)

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
I agree with the_lhc just because the hifi section is at the top of the page it doesn't make the main forum, if i'm totally honest the hifi section is the one i normally avoid because it's the one i'm least interested in and tend to look at the other forums. :p

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
BigH said:
The_Lhc said:
BigH said:

There is no "main" hi-fi forum here. There is a Hi-Fi forum but I don't think you can argue it's the "main" forum here, I don't think here has a "main" forum.

Well the Hifi forum then.

Whats the point of having sections and sub-sections if people don't use them?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
The_Lhc said:
BigH said:
The_Lhc said:
BigH said:

Well the Hifi forum then.

Whats the point of having sections and sub-sections if people don't use them?

No idea, although with the limited amount of traffic on here I don't personally see the point, I almost never go into the different forums, just using (as I've said previously) the active threads/latest posts button instead.

TRENDING THREADS