Suggestion for Amp for Pmc 22 speakers

5wilm

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi People

Was wandering what amps i should be looking too listen to before buying... to go with PMC 22 speakers.

Any recomendations would be great!

5wilm

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi

Sorry budget 2k to 3k... Room size 4m x 6m. mostly like to listen mid volume.

I have mixed music taste anything from Led Zepplin to Etta Jones!

rainsoothe

5wilm said:
Hi

Hm... Nice budget. The usual supects for me would be Naim Supernait 2, Electrocompaniet ECI 3, and maybe Rega Elex-R, but with them PMCs and your type of music, I would seriously consider valves - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum (which I haven't heard, but a lot of people seem to like what Rogue do, and they have a lot of power), Audio Research VSi60 or, my preference, Jadis Orchestra RC (the Orchestra without the RC it's way cheaper, but no remote). I cannot emphasize how good this amp sounds, it's absolutely beautiful. If you can find a place to audition one, even if it's a small trip, try to do it :) Or maybe find an online seller with a return policy.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
5wilm said:
Hi

Hm... Nice budget. The usual supects for me would be Naim Supernait 2, Electrocompaniet ECI 3, and maybe Rega Elex-R, but with them PMCs and your type of music, I would seriously consider valves - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum (which I haven't heard, but a lot of people seem to like what Rogue do, and they have a lot of power), Audio Research VSi60 or, my preference, Jadis Orchestra RC (the Orchestra without the RC it's way cheaper, but no remote). I cannot emphasize how good this amp sounds, it's absolutely beautiful. If you can find a place to audition one, even if it's a small trip, try to do it :) Or maybe find an online seller with a return policy.

I totally agree with the above suggesions, and would add:

Electro ECI-5

Ayre AX 7E

Arcam A39

Sugden A21SE

Pathos Classic One Mk111 or Ethos (slightly over budget)

Apart from suggestions already given, I'd seriously look at Bryston. PMC are the UK distributor for Bryston so should be a good match. However, I've not heard the combo personally.

I would also look at Creek Evo 100A, Arcam A39 and Audio Analogue. I have heard Rega Elicit-R with PMC Twenty 23 and that sounded impressive.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
rainsoothe said:
5wilm said:
Hi

I totally agree with the above suggesions, and would add:

Electro ECI-5

Ayre AX 7E

Arcam A39

Sugden A21SE

Pathos Classic One Mk111 or Ethos (slightly over budget)

Of couse I'm biased, but If you're going to go a little (okay, quite a bit!) over budget, I'd recommend a Devialet 120. It includes a very high quality DAC and that silky smooth, powerful and exhilarating Devialet sound. - I'd at least recommend you listen to one before you decide. I heard many Amps around this price before listening to the Devialet and as an all-round package, nothing came close. SAM is available on the Devialet for your PMC speakers too!

The Mad One

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Give the speakers the amp they deserve and there's only one amp that'll do the job(of course this is only my opionion)and that the fantastic sounding and gorgeous looking:

ABRAHAMSEN V.20 or ABRAHAMSEN V.20up.

Give colin from of IQ Speakers a call he's a true gent and will offer you a 30 day trial which im sure you'll end keeping the amp its that good.

T1mb0

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
5wilm said:
Hi People

Was wandering what amps i should be looking too listen to before buying... to go with PMC 22 speakers.

Any recomendations would be great!

Would you look at second hand?

Can imagine either of these would sound absolutely fantastic with the 22s and excellent value now 2nd hand.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Musical-Fidelity-Tri-Vista-300-Monoblock-Integrated-Amplifier-/321781050749?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4aeba52d7d

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Musical-Fidelity-KW-500-Dual-Mono-Integrated-Amplifier-Serviced-with-Guarantee-/291500107325?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item43dec2a63d

Bryston would be worth a look at too if you can find anything in budget.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
The Mad One said:
Give the speakers the amp they deserve and there's only one amp that'll do the job(of course this is only my opionion)and that the fantastic sounding and gorgeous looking:

ABRAHAMSEN V.20 or ABRAHAMSEN V.20up.

Give colin from of IQ Speakers a call he's a true gent and will offer you a 30 day trial which im sure you'll end keeping the amp its that good.

A good call *biggrin* .

Or perhaps an Abrahamsen V30UP pre amp with two V40UP power amps bridged into monoblocks, they are under budget and about 280 wpc into 8 ohms !

5wilm

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Guy's, For all the suggestions... Boy I've got some amps to listen too!

Like the idea of the valves especially Audio Research VSI60, Jadis Orcchestra & Pathos....

Abrahamsen has been recomened a few times, so will ave a listen, and can be picked up at good prices. *smile*

But will try some of the other amp's mentioned where poss, and report back..

Cheers

D

Deleted member 116933

To be honest at that budget nothing will be bad and will be very hard to tell the difference between any of them (amp wise).... My suggestion would be to go for the one you like the sound of the best. Ask your dealer what he has to offer in that range.

But I complety agree with the above mentioned. But from expeirance with my PMC 23 i went with naim. Just the right sound for me

m0n5t3r

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
I just got a set of PMC 21's and paired them with a Caspian M2, sounds great. Maybe better out there with your budget as the Caspian is £1900 now but I would say still worth a listen.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
You can grade the amps on how "rich" and euphonious you want your music to sound.

IME. Valves are truly wonderful for Orchestral, Jazz, Opera and Human Voice. Less good for hard hitting rock and bass driven music.......Look at Jadis, Unison Research, Icon Audio.

Hybrid Amps like Pathos are great for mixing the benefits of Valves with that of Solid State (extra power/bass control).

Solid State - Class A (eg. Sugden), Class G (Arcam A39/Creek 100A), or Class AB which are highly biased into A (Electro/Abrahamsen), are the closest sounding to the above two.

Ayre is clean and very "musical".

Bryston is very neutral.

FWIW. I think the clean, neutral, detailed and slightly lean sound of the PMCs, will match very well with the likes of Pathos/Abrahamsen....and Valves, as they have decent sensitivity.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts