Subwoofers

SteveR750

In the quest to better fill my particular room with a bit more bottom end 'grunt' I'm thinking of adding a sub to supplement the 40s, primarily to help with the room mode / node issues. ATC's own subs are an obvious choice, but at a price. Whate else is there worth considering at a less eye watering price, and what compromises would have to be made?

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Slow down i have not even picked up the hegel yet haha

Just checked prices online for atc subs ouch
Sorry got no decent advice but working nights.
Maybe 2 cheaper quality subs ?

Hi Steve

JL Audio's new Dominion D108 and D110 are also worth bearing in mind. They are not far off from being available and based on what I've heard worth waiting for
regular_smile.gif
Fwiw, AV Tech Solutions/JL Audio have used JL Audio subs to great effect with ATC passive/active monitors for the last two Bristol shows (this year 2 x D110 with curved SCM19, curved SCM11 and C3CASL)
thumbs_up.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

SteveR750

CnoEvil said:
JL Audio, Velodyne (Ultra/DD Series), Paradigm and SVS (SB13 Ultra)

Stereophile reviews: http://www.stereophile.com/category/subwoofer-reviews

FWIW. The best small Sub I've heard was the Paraidgm Seismic 110

Thanks for the link Cno, particularly the section on the science behind subwoofers. I think I'm in the camp of quality, not quantity, given my lounge is a suspended wooden floor, then it could easily be overwhelmed. My target is to get a flat response to 40Hz, so that bottom E on the bass guitar is reproduced fully. I think the Dspeaker Antinode will probably be extrememly useful in setting it up, so will need to factor that into the cost equation, unless I could borrow one of course!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I'll echo BogBoss' statement about the Ken Kreisel subs. Probably the best subs I've heard integrated with a pair of speakers - they can truly produce a seamless blend with virtually any speaker. Twin DXD808s or a single DXD12012 should be fine. Many subs tend to draw attention to themselves because they produce too much distortion, but the DXDs just disappear.

Other than that, a couple of SVS SB2000 subs should do the trick. For £650 you get a decent 12" driver and 500w to drive it with - probably the best value sub under £1,000. Two subs will better help with room modes.

If you really want to stick with one, the SVS SB13 Ultra will give you 1000w to drive a long throw 13.5" over engineered bass driver. At £1500, some manufacturers will charge you over twice that to get a driver of that size.

bebelacus

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
i have a BK XXLS400 and very happy with it. Great with music, excellent finish, reasonably priced. I couldnt find anything better at this price.

MattSPL said:
+1 on the JL Audio subs. I used an F112 with a pair of ATC scm50asl's.

A pair of the new JL Audio Dominion subs would be best I think.

Hi Matt

Top quality subs
thumbs_up.gif
Moving up a couple of gears you should hear a Fathom f212 and SCM100ASL's *biggrin*

Anyway, Dominion's along with another with their other new toy the JLink (wireless transmitter
shades_smile.gif
) start to ship next month.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
Other than that, a couple of SVS SB2000 subs should do the trick. For £650 you get a decent 12" driver and 500w to drive it with - probably the best value sub under £1,000. Two subs will better help with room modes.

If you really want to stick with one, the SVS SB13 Ultra will give you 1000w to drive a long throw 13.5" over engineered bass driver. At £1500, some manufacturers will charge you over twice that to get a driver of that size.

Hi David, do you have experience with / an opinion on SVS's cylinder subwoofers? They look like they would blend into the decor more easily than classical box-shaped subs. Which might help to convince my better half!

PC-2000DualPGMain.jpg

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
CnoEvil said:
JL Audio, Velodyne (Ultra/DD Series), Paradigm and SVS (SB13 Ultra)

Stereophile reviews: http://www.stereophile.com/category/subwoofer-reviews

FWIW. The best small Sub I've heard was the Paraidgm Seismic 110

Thanks for the link Cno, particularly the section on the science behind subwoofers. I think I'm in the camp of quality, not quantity, given my lounge is a suspended wooden floor, then it could easily be overwhelmed. My target is to get a flat response to 40Hz, so that bottom E on the bass guitar is reproduced fully. I think the Dspeaker Antinode will probably be extrememly useful in setting it up, so will need to factor that into the cost equation, unless I could borrow one of course!

If your floor is suspended, an Auralex Gramma is essential.

FWIW Here is an ex-dem Seismic: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Paradigm-Seismic-110-Subwoofer-/271856891944?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

I was so impressed when I heard it, I wrote this: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/paradigm-seismic-110-sub

On the test bench: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/subwoofers/subwoofers-reviews/paradigm-reference-seismic-110-subwoofer/page-4-the-paradigm-reference-seismic-110-subwoofer-on-the-bench.html

This little fellow is also impressive: https://www.hsound.co.uk/product/velodyne-spl-800-ultra-subwoofer/

DocG said:
David@FrankHarvey said:

Hi David, do you have experience with / an opinion on SVS's cylinder subwoofers? They look like they would blend into the decor more easily than classical box-shaped subs. Which might help to convince my better half!

Bear in mind the PC-13 ultra is about 4 feet tall!

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
bigboss said:
DocG said:
David@FrankHarvey said:

Bear in mind the PC-13 ultra is about 4 feet tall!

That's true. But I was rather thinking of a (pair of) PC-2000(s)...

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
DocG said:
Not yet, as the PC2000 only landed with us on Wednesday, but it is the same driver and amplifier as the excellent SB2000, but with the cabinet volume of the PB2000 (allowing more depth and slightly higher SPL, just with a more room friendly footprint. We decided to take it on as to get deep bass you need a big driver and large cabinet volume, and not everyone is willing to lose floor space to a big plain looking box, so much so we no longer keep the PB subs on demo - they're just stupidly big. The PC2000 allows the performance of the PB2000 in a smaller footprint. It's still not a small sub, but it's not a box. I suppose to help it blend in you could wrap the sides in whatever colour material you like...

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
DocG said:
Not yet, as the PC2000 only landed with us on Wednesday, but it is the same driver and amplifier as the excellent SB2000, but with the cabinet volume of the PB2000 (allowing more depth and slightly higher SPL, just with a more room friendly footprint. We decided to take it on as to get deep bass you need a big driver and large cabinet volume, and not everyone is willing to lose floor space to a big plain looking box, so much so we no longer keep the PB subs on demo - they're just stupidly big. The PC2000 allows the performance of the PB2000 in a smaller footprint. It's still not a small sub, but it's not a box. I suppose to help it blend in you could wrap the sides in whatever colour material you like...

Good idea! Now would they have dealers in Belgium...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts