Subwoofer

Q Bass

Sep 5, 2007
Visit site
Hello

As some of you may know I have just purchased the Teac CR-H255 micro with some Mission M32i speakers - I am happy with the sound in all areas but the bass

I have been told by some on here not to spend £200 on a sub for this system - someone has offered me a Tannoy EFX sub and what I want to know is would this do the job? I know it's not the best but for my little bedroom would it be ok

I know it doesn't drop really low but it's cheap

Thank you

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
£200 would be far better spent elsewhere, mains cabling would be a much better start as just one example. Subs around £200 will do next to nothing to improve the quality of a system - this is just economics i'm afraid! In my experience worthwhile subs start at around £500.

However, a point that is always missed in hifi - there is no point attempting to reproduce the lowest frequencies unless you have already brought the rest of your system up to a very good standard. Low frequencies are probably the hardest to reproduce, and when below standard can deteriorate what the rest of the system is trying to do.

A

Anonymous

Tear Drop:£200 would be far better spent elsewhere, mains cabling would be a much better start as just one example. Subs around £200 will do next to nothing to improve the quality of a system - this is just economics i'm afraid! In my experience worthwhile subs start at around £500.

However, a point that is always missed in hifi - there is no point attempting to reproduce the lowest frequencies unless you have already brought the rest of your system up to a very good standard. Low frequencies are probably the hardest to reproduce, and when below standard can deteriorate what the rest of the system is trying to do.

I disagree entirely. BK do a lovely sub (XLS200) for less than £300 which would transform this system and fiddling with mains cables is a pointless waste of time and money.

Olli1324

May 28, 2008
Visit site
I have an Epos ELS subwoofer (200 squids from Superfi.co.uk) with my Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s and Marantz PM6002. I think it is great; I miss it (hopefully a fixed one will come by early next week), because me Wharfes simply don't go as deep as a would like. The extra bass (not necessarily the quantity, but also the quality, which, in my limited experience, I do not think should be frowned upon for only 200) makes ÿa tremendous difference to the listening experience.

And you can go crazy and bring the house down if your really want. ÿ
emotion-21.gif

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
I think that positioned with care and used with subtlety a sub can add the sort of weight you're not going to get with standmounters. My subs are digging out bass lines on a Linton Kwesei Johnson CD that definitely add to the listening experience. Don't go too expensive with your system, but by the same rule don't go too cheap. £200 and a little over should be enough.

Q Bass

Sep 5, 2007
Visit site
So the Tannoy EFX is a no then? I just want that little extra low down thump I know I need to spend £££'s to get real quality bass but I'm running low on funds but I have to have some sort of bass

A

Anonymous

150 quid BK minotaur! will be more than adequate! ignore the wattage it will go louder and deeper than your speakers with agility to boot

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
Q Bass:So the Tannoy EFX is a no then? I just want that little extra low down thump I know I need to spend £££'s to get real quality bass but I'm running low on funds but I have to have some sort of bass

Check out the BK Electrics website - you don't have to spend a lot for quality bass.

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
Ok, I'll eat my words. I read a review that seems to rate the Tannoy sub quite highly. Given that you can get one for £100 new at Richers, and you're buying from a mate it should come in for peanuts money I'd look at it.
See if he/she will lend you it for a trial. I suspect it won't sound brilliant but might do some of what you want. Since you'll have saved a small fortune you might be well happy.

Q Bass

Sep 5, 2007
Visit site
Thank you for all your replies

I really want a BK sub but can't afford it right now but will add one to my main system at a later date but for now I just need something that will just help the lower end - I'm getting it for around £60 I think it's a good deal what about you?

Q Bass

Sep 5, 2007
Visit site
Hi

I've had my system for a while now but when I turn it up say to 55 out of 62 it starts to distort and the bass becomes boomy and sounds like a cheap walkman with the bass turned to full - I hope someone knows what I mean by that

Is it that the amp doesn't have enough power to run the speakers properly? Below 55 it is ok and sounds great but I'm missing that power - I like my music LOUD sometimes as I want to be immersed in it

Should I upgrade to the DR-H300DAB - would that have enough power for my Missions or should I purchase the Reference 300Mk3?

Thank you

Q Bass

Sep 5, 2007
Visit site
Can anyone shed any light on this for me - I knew it has a little power but this is not enough or are my speakers to blame?

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
I think a complete restart of your system might be in order if you need that much volume and lack bass.

If you are playing with the volume that high I'm not sure that the Tannoy sub alone would help you too much. It would give deeper bass than you're currently getting.

Your Mission's are 90dB@1m@1m I think. That's fairly (not hugely) loud for a hifi speaker given a fixed electrical input.

Unfortunately, upgrading to the bigger Teac 300 won't give you much extra volume. It's rated at 45W RMS. Doubling the power output from the amp generates an extra 3dB in volume. Going from 25W to 45W will be hardly noticeable.

The easiest affordable way to get more volume and better bass may be a pair of decent efficient headphones. I don't think that's what you want to be told though.

If you're struggling to find £150 for a BK sub, and £60 is all you can spare get the Tannoy. Then a cheap 2nd hand power amp later to better drive the Mission's.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts