Subwoofer vibrating off its feet

Joshuamessenger

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
When turning up the sub on low Hz tracks its starts to wobble back and forth, I just have the spikes what it’s provided with. It’s going on to thin carpeted concrete floor. FYI the floor is not very even.

Should I think about getting better spikes of some feet for the spikes to go onto?

I have only just dared to turn it up as I what the woofer to where it’s self in and not to cause damage to its self.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
For the driver to work as intended it needs a firm foundation.

I'd be inclined to a/ mount the sub on a solid granite/stone base ie. via bolts making sure the distance to the floor is as suggested by the manufacturer to allow the passive radiator to do the work, then spike the base or add weight to the top of the subwoofer, perhaps both.

regards

Joshuamessenger

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
I managed to sort the problem out by putting the spikes on to steel mango chutney bowl. They are shallow but give perfect support.

im quite shocked this happend as its going onto carpeted concreted floor, the sub it's self is 27kg so it not light. Might still pick up a granite bord.

would using one bord be better ? Due to the size of the woofer I might only be able to buy 2 smaller ones would this effect anything ? Or glueing them together would stop them vibrating ?

scene

It's possible that the feet (or your floor) aren't 100% level. With spikes on carpet on concrete, I'd recommend leaning on the top of the sub until the spikes penetrate the carpet (and the underlay) and end up on the concrete. Then use a spirit level cross-ways (i.e back left to front right, and vice versa) to adjust the feet (lean on the top after adjusting). I've got floorstanders on carpet on conrete, and I used to get a bit of judder because I'd forgotten to do this. With most spikes and carpets, the holes will close up (eventually) if you move the speaker).

I agree, that a granite slab under a sub is a good thing - as carpet can absorb a bit to much bass if the sub is downwards firing.

Joshuamessenger

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
I did make sure it was on concrete but the floor is uneven in this crappy student flat. My floor standers were easy to set up. The sub is front firing but with a passive down. Think ill go get some bords and remove the temp fix after the weekend when I'm of work.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
If you don't mind what it looks like, buy 2 concrete paving slabs, 1 for under the sub, and 1 for on top of the sub. They cost about £1 each and weigh a good 10kg.

Joshuamessenger

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
Would not what to buy a slap on top of piano black surface, it's ok on what it's on. No movement plus I'm moveing it to a larger room with better flooring so that will all help but I may get one for the bottom tho !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts