Subwoofer Setup

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Can anyone tell me the best settings for my Tannoy TS12 subwoofer and Onkyo 806

Here is a picture of the back of my subwoofer. I have no idea where to start with all these dials.

All I know is LFE Mode is switched to On.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
Presumably you have a subwoofer cable? There is no such thing as "best settings" for a subwoofer as it should be calibrated in your room. The recommended starting point is to set the crossover at 80hz and your speakers to small in the amp's setup (You didn't specify the speakers but I would start there). It is best to use a spl meter to properly calibrate your amp using some test tones:

http://rapidshare.com/files/160314249/full_range_testtones.zip

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Assuming you're going to run the automatic calibration on the Onkyo, set the

power switch to on, not auto

LF extension to 30Hz

Gain to about 2 o'clock

LFE mode to on

And ignore the Xover Freq control, as the LFE mode bypasses it. Connect the subwoofer cable to either of the line level inputs.

Now run the automatic calibration, have a listen, and then adjust the sub's gain control by ear, or using the subwoofer levels in the 806's menus, to taste.

If the bass still sounds very weak, try turning the phase control to 180 and see whether this improves things. If it does all well and good, if it doesn't put it back to 0 and crank up the gain a bit more.

When you're happy, switch the on/auto switch top left to auto, which now means the sub will power off when the system hasn't sent it a signal for a while, and 'wake up' when a signal is detected.

We only turned it off before because it can confuse the auto-calibration if the sub has gone into auto-standby, as the calibration test tones may not be loud enough to 'wake it up'.

A

Anonymous

Hello: Can you help me?
I have 2 "Q series KEF IQ9" speakers and the Model "PSW 3500 Subwoofer".
My receiver is a JVC RX-5000VBK which has a subwoofer output. When connected it sends (unknown)ÿÿbass frequencies to the subwoofer without affectingÿÿfrequencies to the 2 main speakers. There is no crossover setting and according to JVC all frequencies are being sent to the IQ 9's.
I'd like to know how to set the crossover frequency on the subwoofer.
Since the IQ9"s go down to 38 Hz and the Sub's crossover frequency seems to start at 40 Hz should I just not set the crossover at all (?) or would setting it at the first or second LED light-I believe 50hz-- or-- 60hzÿÿallow for a smoother transition?
(My other settings on the sub are "music" " slope 24b" " low pass" )
Thank you,
Irwin Rubin

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts