Subwoofer(s) for my system

bebelacus

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Hi

I know, some say subs are evil but decided to try one (or two) in my system to see if it brings any benefits or excitement. If not happy i have the option to build a theatre in the attic. but i want the sub for music only.

the room is 7m x 5m x 3.5m (LxWxH) with a 2m opening to the kitchen on the right length and another opening at the back going to a pretty large hall. Wooden floor continued with ceramic in the kitchen and the hall. One big rug in the living covering about 30% of the living room. 2 big windows but with curtains and some furniture, not too much.

i would like posting a photo but dont know how.

i dont know if going with a bigger, more expensive woofer or 2 a bit cheaper. As an example a REL 328 or 2 REL T5 or T7s? or 2 x Tannoy 2.12s? i have no particular preference for a brand but would like a top one, be it REL, Velodyne or else (Tannoy etc.). maybe something more powerful (REL 528 or Velodyne cht-15q)?

you can imagine i would like something working well with my system, something easy to connect. I also have no idea about how to connect them, how to set them up properly for a good sound. i read some stuff on the internet which confused me even more.

i dont mind going ex demo, actually i would like that. total budget about 700; it can be stretched just a bit if some good deal comes up.

So, please, if anyone can help? all opinions are welcome, experts or not, owners or not. Thanks a lot

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
I would opt for one high quality subwoofer at this stage. The Jade 5's deliver a good bit of bass but a sub will bring more. Look to a model with a high level input ( REL is most likely from your list). If you are unsure how to set it up do you have a local dealer who you can speak to ? There are plenty of threads about how to do it properly but your dealer may do it for you and save you the bother.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
IME cheap subs tend to boom and don't integrate well. If you're on a budget a single expensive sub is usually better than two cheap subs. But as always try before you buy.

bebelacus

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
thanks for replies. Unfortunately i cannot demo as there is no hifi dealer around and if I buy one it will be an ex demo from an overseas shop.

do you think a REL R-328 would do the job for my room or is it too small? better a REL T-9 or a Tannoy 12.2? any other suggestions? i found a B&W PV1 for 600 a few weeks ago.

i am helpless because i really have no knowledge about subwoofers. they confuse me even more with high level inputs, low level,etc. how should i connect a sub? REL say they recommend comnecting the sub to amp's speaker outputs. Then where shall i connect the speakers to?

my knowledge is so little that i actually dont know what i dont know

bebelacus

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
narrowed down to 3 options:

REL R-528

Velodyne CHT-12Q

B&W PV1D

what do you think will manage my room better? if anyone from a hifi shop has an advice that will be very welcome as well.

Cheers

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Check out the BK subs too, I have a the XXLS400 and I doubt there is better for the money, many people use two of these with good results. They sell direct only and used to make subs for REL, the best value about.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
bebelacus said:
narrowed down to 3 options:

REL R-528

Velodyne CHT-12Q

B&W PV1D

what do you think will manage my room better? if anyone from a hifi shop has an advice that will be very welcome as well.

Cheers

For music only, I would go for the PV1D

philipjohnwright

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
I was going to suggest the BK 400 but someone beat me to it. £440 plus postage for a new one I think; much cheaper than equivalent subs as they only sell direct. They used to make RELs for them so know a thing or two. And they have very similar connections; as has been suggested using the high level inouts (basically connecting it to the speaker terminals on the amp) is probably best. Just make sure your amp isn't a dual-mono one, the RELs and BKs use a common ground (apologies if that has confused you even more but you get it wrong youll probably fry the amp. i know, i nearly did once)

ESLee

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Had a REL 328 for a while and currently have a BK XLS200. The BK is an improvement on my old REL, IMO, but I dont believe they intergrate that well, regardless of positioning and treatment. Thats my experience anyway.

The sub has it's uses but I could easily live without it.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
You'll need to consider the roll off of the speaker and sub, if like your Jade that roll off at 38 hz a sub that rolls off at 40 hz is a pointless venture.

BK's are a good shout (400's) , they will modify the filter to 30/110 at the factory before sending out, as well as adding some bottom end it will make it easier to integrate into the system.

Connection wise, run parallel from the cdq.

bebelacus

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
thanks a lot to all of you. That BK sounds interesting. can they buid it up to your specs? i understand that they can do some adjustments.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts