Subwoofer positioning on Sony DAV-IS10

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am seriously considering purchasing the DAV-IS10 but after reading your review in Octobers edition I think I may have a problem.
I had originally intended positioning the subwoofer at the rear of the room as there is limited available space at the front, but you pointed out that because of the small size of the satellites the sub helps cover the mid ranges "provided the subwoofer is positioned close to the front speakers"
How much will the sound be compromised with the sub at the back of the room? Room size is 4m deep by 3m wide.

Thanks for any advice.

Steve

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
In a room of that size it shouldn't be too much of a problem, but it would be better to snaffle the sub away somewhere nearer the front and off to one side if possible. Or behind the TV, or somwhere like that. The DCAC set-up should take account of positioning, but you may find the front sounds a bit bass-light, and it's slightly obvious where the bass is coming from.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andrew,

Do you know the length of the system control cord that plugs the control unit into the bottom of the subwoofer? It looks as if that might dictate where the sub can go.

Steve

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Not sure, off the top of my head, and can't find any specs for this anywhere - but AFAICR it's at least 3m, but probably not enough to get the sub at the back of the room and the control unit at the front.

A

Anonymous

I don't know the length either but I do know that the centre speaker cable is only 3m and since the speakers are attached to the subwoofer(rather than the control unit), that will limit where you will place this set-up.

Sony do not recommend placing the sub directly behind the tv (or in any cabinet it may be on) but do you have sufficient space between the rear of your tv and the wall?

A

Anonymous

I have a Panasonic TH50PZ700 mounted flat on the wall so there is no room behind it. There is a small cupboard to the left of the TV and steps to an upper level to the right so not much space for the sub. I could place it on the upper level (about 1.5m to the right of the TV and at approximately the same level as the TV) but it would be outside the "magic circle" proposed by Sony in their brochure. I think given the advice I have been given this may be the best option.

Steve

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts