Subwoofer modifications

Bob1753

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone, I have bought samsung hw-f550 wireless subwoofer because I was going to use it on my av receiver but it turns out that it is not compatible. Would i be able to bypass the inbuilt amp and connect the sub to a power amp? And connect the power amp to the subwoofer pre outs on the av receiver? Thanks for reading

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
You'd probably be better selling it and getting a different sub. An active sub can be bought for less than £75. Might be easier than trying to modify your sub.

SpursGator

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
The problem with bypassing the inbuilt amp is that it contains the crossover circuitry. If you bypass it, and run the sub driver with an external amp, you will be running it full range and won't be able to adjust it (the crossover is 'upsteam' of the in-built amp).

Ideally you would want to bypass the wireless conenction but still use the amp in the sub. But since it's wireless, it is transmitting a digital signal almost certainly - which means that it probably has a digital filter, which includes the crossover and probably some DSP equalisation. So you will not be able to create a new line connection for the inbuilt amp that still uses the crossover - there is some kind of D/A converter in front of the amp, inside the sub.

So in effect, the answer to your question is no, you really aren't going to be able to. To preserve your bargain, perhaps you could pull out the sub driver, build a new box for it, and buy a subwoofer plate amp from the likes of Stage-Line, Dayton, or Hypex. Spending five bob on the driver would be a bargain - but even for someone experienced, it will be hard to calculate the box, since you don't have any of the stats on your OEM driver.

You either need to find a way to get the sub to work with your amp, or declare defeat, I'm afraid.

TRENDING THREADS