jamie_h92

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I have recently bought a pair of Mordaunt-Short 908s which have 10 inch subs in the bottom however despite this, coupled with my CA 640a V2 the bass is great but really controlled and it all just doesn't come alive much so I am think of adding an active sub to the pre-out. I have a couple of questions:

1. What subs will match well with this system at a reasonable second hand price?

2. As the low frequency section on my speakers only controls the sub; would it be possible to bi-amp them using my sub to power the subs on my speakers?

Cheers, Jamie

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Controlled bass sounds like a good thing, no? Perhaps you are used to boomy bass? Or do you mean controlled as in subdued and not forceful enough? I don’t know your amp well, does it come with a matching power amp that could perhaps give the bass a bit more authority?

Don’t get a bad sub, you’re better off having restricted bass in my option, the best value are from BK Electronics. I use the XXL400 which is deep and fast, a very good musical sub. If you want even deeper (a touch to the expensive of musicality ) and can accommodate the Monolith is a beast.

Joshuamessenger

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
Have a look at rel if your looking at subs and BK are good for price but think you have uncontrolled bass mix with musical bass, in this seance or you just what out right bass go for the biggiest velodyne you can buy or the mono +

tomlinscote

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I am not taking the mick here but the subs are working are they, I only ask because I have some 8 inch woofers in my own design speakers and even with a 25yr old Trio amp and an old ipod there is loads of bass.

Can you try the speakers with a differnt amp and if they are biwire-able then you can add a power amp, but you will need one that has the same gain as the power amp stage in your own amp otherwise the balance between the tweeter and woofers/sub

Tommo

Joshuamessenger

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
I was reading the other day on this site that CA amps are bass shy and they like high mids and tops. If I was you change amp if you can ? To test. Or to see if they are working full stop, look for movement when Turing up the volume or feel for movement.

jamie_h92

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Yes by controlled I mean subdued and whilst the bass is pretty great on something like classic rock, blues and so on (was listening to some AC/DC and Clapton this morning and it was great), I have gotten into a certain type of music where the bass is more prominant!

I have heard some good things about REL subs

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Pretty sure bk made so rel subs oem, not sure on current models for rel but I know in be past their respective lineups were very similar in some models spec wise but the bk were around 30% cheaper.

Joshuamessenger

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
My REL took a week to get hear, when buying it was looking at bk. would of been happy to buy a bk as they are made in my home town, but I feel that REL have a touch of class and next level performance and Finnish

jamie_h92

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Well from what I've heard REL seems to come up a lot but I'm not looking to buy new as I'm a student and I would always rather go second hand as you get a lot more for your money, especially in the audiophile world.

I have tried them facing in and out but its not really that, its when you try it against more bass orientated bands such as submotion orchestra and the xx where the speakers don't have such a great impact

Joshuamessenger

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm only a student my self if your name is to go buy, your my age 20/21. All I do is save up from my job working in a night club. If you go look online you can find ex dem or graded rel subs T7 or 9 you can pick up quite cheep. I got my REl r528 but it cost quite a bit £1400. All I would do is save don't cheep out on some thing your not going to be happy with. Go try it and test it out and save to buy it. Remember cos you tested it dose not mean you have to buy it. I find that to be a golden rule.

jamie_h92

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
You would be right, but I wouldn't be prepared to pay in the thousands ever, regardless of how much I like music, and whilst I am at University I don't want to be dishing out loads of money for things that can easily get damaged during parties and such like, but I mean to what extent is the Yamaha YST-SW320 going to benefit my system for instance?

Joshuamessenger

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
You could always go DIY and get an active car sub and power it with a pc power supply and hock it up to the back of your amp.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_723155_langId_-1_categoryId_265872

http://www.amazon.co.uk/500-WATT-ATX-POWER-SUPPLY/dp/7135799313/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367249970&sr=8-1&keywords=pc+power+supply

there are a few vids on YouTube to help connect it all but it's cheep for bass and that will set you back £100.

TRENDING THREADS