SUB-WOOFER PROBLEM

DJEPSON

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Not so much a problem as a neighbour complaining I was shaking his walls,

I have just got the PV1 and have been playing around with it this weekend, but I need to tone is down to keep the neighbours happy, I have turned the volume down to half is there anything else I can do, do the pads work that you can stand them on ?

Thanks

Damian

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
if you have a joining houses make sure its not against the joining walls - also try turning through 90 degrees so not backing on to the wall but running against it.

if they live above or below you its tough i would check out the vibration platforms to see if that helps - mines sat on a latge piece of marbel

A

Anonymous

DJEPSON: do the pads work that you can stand them on ?
Thanks

Damian

i have just bought the Auralex gramma pads for the same reason -and the short answer to your question is unfortunatly No
emotion-6.gif

i have tried also many other tricks but nothing works...bass is very tough to control specaily the LF part , u just can,t stop it from traveling thro walls floor and ceiling , if u realy wanna keep your neighbours happy -u have two options , either u make total isolation for your room or turn the subwoofer Off , realy it,s as simple as that , because no matter how much u turn the volume down on the sub , if u can hear it and feel it your neighbour can as well , infact sometime LFcan be heard and felt more in your neighbour room than in your room
emotion-1.gif

However i realy liked what the gramma pads did to the subwoofer , the bass are more cleaner tighter and faster now , but it dosn,t stop the neighbour from banging on my wall ,even though i watch movie at moderate level , and the volume knop on the subwoofer it,s just below a quarter.

Goodluck!

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
As a self confessed "BassHead" I actually fitted a dBX sub harmonic synthesizer to my surround system that generates the bass information an octave lower to feed a pair of ridiculous sub bass cabs, so you REALLY feel those explosions
emotion-4.gif

It actually blows stuff off the coffee table when it's in full flight.

But if you are having trouble with the neighbours (I have a well detached house!) then there is a solution to your bass woes, but it's not a very "hifi" one.
You can fit small bass effect units onto the bottom of your chair/sofa/etc that you connect to your amp the same way as you would an ordinary loudspeaker.
These will vibrate with low bass signals, thus giving the listener the impression of wall shaking bass without the hassle of NDN (next door nagging).
emotion-12.gif

You can also get some pretty good transducers these days that affix to any flat surface such as a window, coffee table, etc, that will turn it into a loudspeaker.
Again, not the pinnacle of hifi reproduction but it can produce a startling effect!

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post the website link of the supplier of such delights within these sacred walls, which is in Germany but in the English language, so if the inimitable Mr.Everard approves, I will re-edit this post with the details of said emporium.

EDIT :

Thanks Andrew.
Have a snoop around at www.thomann.de for the bass shakers and transponders.
P.S. I am not affiliated to this company in any way, I just find there range and prices to be pretty good.

A

Anonymous

DJEPSON:I have noticed that the low pass frequency is turned to the maximum, would it make a difference if I turned that down ?

That,s indepence to how the crossover for LFE is set within your AV/receiver , if it,s also set to maximum then yes it will make a huge difference if u set it down , it,s recommended to set the crosscover for the LFE some where between 80-90 HZ . the higher u set the crossover for LFE the more u risk having boomy bass , and u don,t want that!

Goodluck!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I have to disagree with marco_1: assuming you have made a crossover setting in your receiver, the adjustment of the crossover on the sub itself will make no difference until its set to a lower frequency than that of the receiver, at which point you will start having a 'hole' in the bass response.

Turning down the subwoofer level, or improving positioning and/or isolation, is really the only solution here.

And Tonya, provided there is no connection between you and the company in question, there is nothing in the House Rules to prevent you posting the link.

A

Anonymous

Allmost forget. u don,t want your subwoofer in a corner because bass usually build up in corners, if u have your subwoofer in a corner . move it out of there make sure it,s about 3-4 feet away from any corner in the room.

DJEPSON

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
it is currently in the corner about half metre from both sides, I will have to experiment with the volume which is currently at half and also move it around so i can reach a happy medium with my neighbour and if all else falls move to a detached house!

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
I have to disagree with marco_1: assuming you have made a crossover setting in your receiver, the adjustment of the crossover on the sub itself will make no difference until its set to a lower frequency than that of the receiver, at which point you will start having a 'hole' in the bass response.

Turning down the subwoofer level, or improving positioning and/or isolation, is really the only solution here.

And Tonya, provided there is no connection between you and the company in question, there is nothing in the House Rules to prevent you posting the link.

Andrew Everad: That was excatly my point! i was saying that would be indepence to how the crossover for the LFE is set within his AV/receiver, and that he should check it and make the changes within his AV/receiver to start with....

DJEPSON

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
I will check the settings in my amp (Denon) to ensure that the LFE is set to between 80-90 as well and see how that goes. Thanks for all the advice, it seems a shame to spend so much on the sub and not be able to use it to the full !

A

Anonymous

DJEPSON:
I will check the settings in my amp (Denon) to ensure that the LFE is set to between 80-90 as well and see how that goes. Thanks for all the advice, it seems a shame to spend so much on the sub and not be able to use it to the full !

DJEPSON:

Iam in the same boat and i can understand that it,s realy pity when u have a good gear and can,t use it to it,s full
emotion-6.gif

but anyway check the seting for the LFE in the Denon , make sure it,s about 80-90HZ.

if your Denon has the Dynamic Volume feature , then try it , it will help a good deal as it will soften the loud passages and the impact of the subwoofer , while at the same time it keeps soft passages and dialogue at reference level.

A

Anonymous

I use one of these and I live in an appartment, up to date absolutely no NDH (next door hassle)

And my sub is on everytime I switch my amp on, even for radio.

http://www.auralex.com/sound_isolation_gramma/sound_isolation_gramma.asp

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts