Sub in Stereo configuration

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I have a stereo configration (NAD 320bee, NAD CD player and JBL northbridge e80 speaker) in a 50m² loft and have a probleme.

I do love the sound of the set but the bass are a bit messy. For example, in Bjork's "HyperBallad", the low frequecy notes do not soud as defined as i know they are. The notes are waveing a bit and don't get that. Some bass notes get higher volume than others etc.

And globally, the low frequencies are quite intrusive.

I was wondering if a external subwoofer would help. I tough it could manage all the low frequencies much better than the tower speaker.

But a sub in a stereo set up seems to me a bit strange, isn't it?

What do you think? Is it a good idea? Have you any suggestion for this probleme?

Thanks and sorry for my english

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
Thats quite a lot of driver in a big ported box - sounds to me like the NAD is struggling keep them under control! Adding a Sub won't help particularly unless it has a very good high pass filter which will stop the lower frequencies getting to the JBLs at all. If it doesn't, the JBLs will still be producing the full range like they are now and you'll still have the problem you have now.

Presumably you've made sure there is plenty of space betwee the rear wall and speakers (at least a couple of feet I'd say)?

Personal taste admittedly, but I would rather forgoe absolute extension in bass terms and have decent and proper pitch defenition in the mid-bass. If you can find a dealer who will lend you a sub to try in your room try it and experiment try it out - but don't buy one 'blind'!

And if you really want to grasp the nettle, audition a few 'smaller' floorstanders or even a good quality standmount to see if you can get a better room balance.

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
Ive recently tried a sub on the end of my system and to be honest it just messes up the balance. I did want a wee bit more bass but not at the expense of speed and quality bass. It could just be the quality of my sub whcih is the tannoy arena one with 500watt driver. Its great with movies. Not with music.

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
I would imagine that being a loft, your room probably has wooden walls and ceiling? Not a great recipe for tight bass- the volume shifts between frequencies would bear this out, as panels resonate and either reinforce or cancel, depending on frequency.

If this is the case, for goodness' sake don't lob a sub into the mix- it will just give you more of the same. Try repositioning your speakers a little further from the rear wall, and definitely not in the corners! The sound may be lighter in weight, but give yourself a while to get used to the new sound before making adjustments.

As for a single sub in a stereo setup, low bass is fairly non-directional- the stereo effect is almost all conveyed at the top end of the scale, so one unit is sufficient. However, for music use, most subs are no help, especially if you are using floorstanders anyway.

Better to spend the money on some decent speaker cable and interconnects, if you haven't already...

Your English is better than that of many English people, so no need to apologise!

Jon

A

Anonymous

Sounds to me like you have some obvious room modes bigging up certain bass frequencies.

Rig a PC up to your hifi, get ahold of cool edit pro (now adobe audition) trial version or any other bit of software you can create and analyse a waveform on.

Do a sweep from 1hz up to 100hz. You will hear the frequencies where suddenly everything gets really loud. Narrow it down and work out the resonant frequency(ies) of your cavity (loft) and then you can start figuring out ways to deal with this.

One way is a notch filter at these frequencies, another is bass traps tuned for that frequency.... or it might be something as simple as moving a little funiture around a bit. Perhaps moving your listening sofa back a foot will help things out? beaming sine waves through there will help you figure this out... but annoy your neighbours because it is a waste of time to try and do this at anything but high volume.

But do yourself a favour and determine as accurately as you can (be bothered) which frequencies are resonating because that is what is making one bass note louder than the other.

A

Anonymous

Having done a bit of reading on your speakers, perhaps you should try borrowing a partner power amp for your NAD and seeing how they work out bi-amped.

The e80's get criticised for their lack of bass control, but also commented on how biamping improves it.

Aside from that, perhaps you should consider new speakers instead of a sub. In a room as big as that, perhaps some MA's.

have a look on ebay, you might find some cheap GR20's or silvers going.

TRENDING THREADS