Sub £1000 speakers options?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I'm hoping to buy some new floorstanders in the next couple of months so I'm trying to get an idea of what's in my price range.

I
don't really want to pay more than £1000, they must be good at
reproducing all types of music as I have a wide taste in music. They
will also be used as the front channels in a 5.1 system so they need to
be good at movies too. I'll also be needing a centre speakers soon, so
whichever main speakers I choose will need to have a matching centre
available.

I'll be powering them off an Arcam AVR-300 amp which is setup in bi-amp mode. So I have about 200W per channel on tap.

So far I've listened to the B&W 684 and 683 and the Monitor Audio RS8 and out of those I preferred the RS8's.

What other floorstanders in this price range are worth an audition?

Thanks,

David.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The KEF iQ70's or iQ90's would be a good starting point as they are a good all rounder for music and movies. You could also look at the Dali Ikon 6's and Monitor Audio RS8's. It's a shame you're stuck on floorstanders, as we've found the ATC SCM11's just seem to reproduce any music we throw at them. A decent set of stands will take them roughly to your budget. They're a little on the insensitive side, but should be fine bi-amped from the AVR300.

Regards

David

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply.

I'll check out the KEF's and the Dali's. The Monitor Audio RS8's are my current favourites.

I'd prefer to stick with floorstanders as I prefer the way they look. I think having speakers on stands tends to look a bit messy but I would consider stand-mounters if they ticked all my sonic boxes.

Do the ATC SCM11's have good bottem end? I like my music to have lots of power and dynamics.

Thanks.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
davidearp: Do the ATC SCM11's have good bottem end? I like my music to have lots of power and dynamics.
They do, but it does depend on the amplification as to how good it is - driven correctly, they're fine. They may sound a little leaner than big floorstanders as they're a sealed box rather than ported, but this does give them the most even bass response I've heard from any sub £1k loudspeaker. As for dynamics/detail etc - this is ATC we're talking about :)

A

Anonymous

While I would love a pair of PMC's I don't think I'll bother with those.

The ATC's have gone on my list.

I've just been ofered a pair of Wharfedale Opus 3's 2nd hand. What are these like?

A

Anonymous

Sorry this is completely "Off Topic" but you are not somehow related to the famous W. Earp by any chance? Sorry if you have been asked that a million times
emotion-10.gif

A

Anonymous

AKL:Sorry this is completely "Off Topic" but you are not
somehow related to the famous W. Earp by any chance? Sorry if you have
been asked that a million times
emotion-10.gif

Lol, no I'm afraid not as far as I know. Different family roots. I actually don't get asked as often as you'd think.
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Gusboll:
A nice pair here - http://tinyurl.com/dy3yp3

Nice find, thanks. I may try and get in touch with the seller.

Does anyone know how the PMC FB1+ compares to the Wharfedale Opus 3? I think they were on sale around the same time.

I'm not sure how much the FB1+ cost when new but the Opus 3 were £3500 and I can get them for about £1000.

A

Anonymous

There are also the Tannoy signature revolution DC6T which are highly thought of. Have'nt heard them myself though!

seasiders rock

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
sevenoaks brighton are selling dali suite 2.8 floor standers ex display for £399 + £40 delivery..

I purchased some last week, if you have the room, they are massive, it,s a no brainer...

awesome deal, simply put you can not go wrong....

they were £1000

davidearp:

Hi,

I'm hoping to buy some new floorstanders in the next couple of months so I'm trying to get an idea of what's in my price range.

I don't really want to pay more than £1000, they must be good at reproducing all types of music as I have a wide taste in music. They will also be used as the front channels in a 5.1 system so they need to be good at movies too. I'll also be needing a centre speakers soon, so whichever main speakers I choose will need to have a matching centre available.

I'll be powering them off an Arcam AVR-300 amp which is setup in bi-amp mode. So I have about 200W per channel on tap.

So far I've listened to the B&W 684 and 683 and the Monitor Audio RS8 and out of those I preferred the RS8's.

Thanks,

David.

If you like RS8's, imho, the RS6 are far better all-rounders. The bass is tighter than the 8's and they time better too.

Also check out Mordaunt Short Mezzo's (can't remember the number) but they usually retail around £800.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:davidearp:

Hi,

I don't really want to pay more than £1000, they must be good at reproducing all types of music as I have a wide taste in music. They will also be used as the front channels in a 5.1 system so they need to be good at movies too. I'll also be needing a centre speakers soon, so whichever main speakers I choose will need to have a matching centre available.

Thanks,

David.

If you like RS8's, imho, the RS6 are far better all-rounders. The bass is tighter than the 8's and they time better too.

Also check out Mordaunt Short Mezzo's (can't remember the number) but they usually retail around £800.

I also prefer the RS6 to the RS8.... So if you like the RS8, you really should at least try the RS6 (in case you also prefer it)...

A

Anonymous

The best speakers under a £1000 are the Mordant Short Mezzo 6? They cannot be matched. Just read any review

A

Anonymous

I'd be interested in Mezzeo 6 vs MA RS6 match-up... There certainly people here that prefer one or the other! I've never heard the Mezzos but RS6s are cracking speakers.

A

Anonymous

Every one has a different view point, which is fine. Some like Classical Music, some Rock, some Chill. Different speakers suit different musical tastes. However, the Mezzo 6's from the low notes to the high ones, are the best all rounders money can buy for under a grand!

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails:FrankHarveyHiFi:Hmmmm......that looks well dodgy John! Yep, very cheap speakers, no pictures from an ebayer with zero feedback - you would have to be a mad person...

I contacted the seller out of curiosity. I didn't get the picture I requested but he said cash on collection is fine. May be legit after all...

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
sewage man:Every one has a different view point, which is fine. Some like Classical Music, some Rock, some Chill. Different speakers suit different musical tastes. However, the Mezzo 6's from the low notes to the high ones, are the best all rounders money can buy for under a grand!

You've heard them, then?

A

Anonymous

momo72:
Gerrardasnails:FrankHarveyHiFi:Hmmmm......that looks well dodgy John! Yep, very cheap speakers, no pictures from an ebayer with zero feedback - you would have to be a mad person...

I contacted the seller out of curiosity. I didn't get the picture I requested but he said cash on collection is fine. May be legit after all...
what about getting the serial numbers off him and having them checked out. After all why would you have two sets of unopened boxes...

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Thank you to everyone that contributed here.

I thought I'd post an update.

In the end I decided to go for the Wharfedale Opus 3's I was offered 2nd hand and I'm very happy with them.

£3500 speakers for £740 is a pretty good deal I think, although I did have to drive nearly 350 miles all together to get the home. It was worth the hassle though.

Cheers.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:davidearp: Do the ATC SCM11's have good bottem end? I like my music to have lots of power and dynamics.
They do, but it does depend on the amplification as to how good it is - driven correctly, they're fine. They may sound a little leaner than big floorstanders as they're a sealed box rather than ported, but this does give them the most even bass response I've heard from any sub £1k loudspeaker. As for dynamics/detail etc - this is ATC we're talking about :)i agree the atcs are brilliant speakers, you really should audition them, there class! i also own the rs6s, again a great pair of speakers for the money give them a demo!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts