Stylish (stereo) micro/mini required for TV system.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I want a nice (but not too expensive), stylish, micro system that will be permanently attached to a new Panasonic 32" LED and (probably) a Panasonic DMR-BW780/880 Bluray recorder with Freeview HD etc.

The obvious choices are the Teac CR-H500DNT or the cheaper Denon D-M38DAB.

The maximum budget is £500 + appropriate speakers. (Thinking MA BX1s in light oak because they are cheap, look gorgeous, are probably quite good, are small, and because my old BR1s sounded fine.)

Any other (stereo only) micro system recommendations from personal experience?

The Teac CR-H500DNT was listed (in the 4 star WHF review) as £500 but is now - typically - £399. Would it have got 5 stars if it had been £399 at the time of review?

I have seen both the Denon and Teac models and the Teac looks superb. Whereas the Denon looks ok (and is small) but not as nice as the Teac and has holes all over the top. (Don't like holes on top of things because then I feel I have to dust them every day!)

Thanks.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Good to meet you yesterday btw, BC...

You too John.

Hope your 'Stuff' launch went without hitch.
emotion-1.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Does it need the CD player or is it really just to provide amplification?

Anything it can 'bring to the table' will be welcome so long as it works properly, is all in one attractive box, sounds good, will drive MA BX1s and has decent build quality. ('Shiny' is good too, which is why I thought of the Teac.)

FM/DAB/internet radio/CD/iPod - iPhone direct digital USB connection/ethernet/two (minimum) spare RCA phono connections (rear mounted) to plug in Panasonic TV and BD recorder.

No more than two small speakers required (no subs wanted on this one).

The Panasonic LED 32" I have been thinking of buying looks gorgeous (and has a far better picture - especially with SD and upscaled DVD - than anything else I have seen yet) so I want a micro/mini and speakers that all look as good.

A

Anonymous

Oh, and being serious for a moment, if you can run a tad over budget the Sonus Faber Toys will knock the Monitor Audios into a cocked hat.

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
Well I'll vouch for the TEAC and it drives my RX1's easily.I went for it over the Denon because I needed internet etc and do not regret it. To me the Marantz model also lost out last year (March) for the same reasons as Denon but the latest version would certainly have got a looking at.(although the colour might have lost it the important vote)

A

Anonymous

manicm:
Grottyash:Oh, and being serious for a moment, if you can run a tad over budget the Sonus Faber Toys will knock the Monitor Audios into a cocked hat.

just a tad over budget?
£200 compared to £700?, Yes, that's a tad in my book judging by my last HiFi purchase!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Ravey Gravey Davy:Well I'll vouch for the TEAC and it drives my RX1's easily.I went for it over the Denon because I needed internet etc and do not regret it. To me the Marantz model also lost out last year (March) for the same reasons as Denon but the latest version would certainly have got a looking at.(although the colour might have lost it the important vote)

I am going to get around to listening to and looking at them all in a couple of weeks time. (I still prefer the look of the Teac stuff.)

Nice to find someone to vouch for the Teac (especially with the same speakers I was considering).

Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts