Style Speakers for Big room?

Dennis Michos

Jun 24, 2008
Visit site
Hi,
Maybe this has been already answered but I couldn't find any relative thread
Are Style Speakers only for small rooms?
I will try to explain what I mean....My room is 5x5m and I plan to have 2 floorstanders with my HiFi System
I am not sure I would like to share the floorstanders with an AV system so I was thinking of adding a Style Speakers System for my future AV system (the option to have 4 big size front speakers, 2 for HiFi and 2 for AV, is not considered!!)
So my question is: will Style Speakers fill a room of 25-30 sq.m. (e.g. B&W MT30 or KEF KHT3005SE or Monitor Audio R90 HD10)?
Is it a kind of 'waste' to use a big AV receiver (e.g.Yamaha 3900) with Stye Speakers?
e.g. Concerning only sound quality is there much (but really much) difference between B&W MT30 and B&W 685 Theatre (all other components (receiver, BR Player etc) will be the same) or any other similar priced systems?
I don't have any space problem in my room but I would like the idea to use a dedicated HiFi System with 2 floorstanders and a seperate AV system with Style Speakes but without compromising the sound quality
Thanks

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
I'm not sure with how you've written this if your going to buy 2 floorstanders and a 5.1 system, but if you intend to buy 2 new speakers systems I would use the same front speakers for both. It will be cheaper and it's easy to set up.

A

Anonymous

Check out the B&W FPM series style speakers. Or for more cash the XT's which have style and great performance.

R

Dennis Michos

Jun 24, 2008
Visit site
Actually I was thinking to buy 2 floorstanders to use with a dedicated HiFi amplifier and a seperate 5.1 style speakers to use with a receiver. In order to avoid having 4 normal sized front speakers (mainly for aesthetical reasons) and also some big central speaker while I plan to have the equipment rack in the center (besides some big rear speakers would also look ugly in the room)
My question is: will the sound quality be much less if I use style instead of a normal size 5.1 speakers system?
If yes then I will sacrifice the aesthetics in favor of the sound quality. But if you tell me the sound quality will be almost the same and only some expert ears can spot the difference then I would go for the style package.
Consider also that if I will use the front floorstanders for both HiFi and AV then I have to buy central and rare speakers of the same brand which I find limited.....e.g. I like the new Spendor A5 (or the Dynaudio Excite X32) to use for HiFi but I am not sure I would like to buy Central and rear speakers from Spendor (or Dynaudio). Music is more important than Movies for me so I can consider spending more money for the 2 floorstanders to use for HiFi (dedicated HiFi amply). This does not mean I want to spend the same amount of money for the Central and the rear speakers in order to match the total quality of a 5.1 system
Will a style system be able to fill a 30 m2 giving a good sound quality or it will struggle to do so? Will it sound thin and without excitement?
The B&W MT30 got some great reviews but are they great only for a small room with limited space or they are great as a 5.1 system generally? As I said: If we have to compare B&W MT30 and B&W 685 Theater which one has the best sound quality?? (forget about aesthetics.....just sound quality)

A

Anonymous

Monitor Audio RS8 AV package ticks all the right boxes.

Well worth considering.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
This is a tricky one. Judging your passion for music, I think you're
probably right to split it - a music system and a home cinema system
combined is always going to lead to a compromise of some sort. I'll
concentrate on the home cinema side as I think that's what this post is
mainly concerned with.

5x5m - the B&W MT-30 will easily fill that space in my opinion. Given you are splitting it up, I'd actually be tempted to do what Big Chris has and get another pair of M1s and make it a 7.1 setup - he loves it. I've absolutely no doubt the 685 Home Theatre package will sound better, but then you're getting a lot of quite large speakers in your front room!

Given your objective, I think you need to pick out a proper Hi-Fi setup for yourself that you're happy with. If it's possible to get a centre speaker and surround speakers to go with that and you're happy with the look, then it's worth thinking about getting an Home Cinema amp which allows you to hook your stereo amp in via front pre-outs. This will be the best of both worlds.

However, if getting the perfect music system is critical, then a style package like the MT-30 should satisfy your home cinema needs without compromising your stereo setup.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I don't think you'll have a problem. My living room is about 3m x 4m, but it does open to a dining room at the back which is about 2m x 3m.

From what you're saying, you're looking to do a similar thing to me....

l_caa0a77dabf31fec69c7d619c566f746.jpg

....Keeping the proper speakers for stereo duties, and having the style speakers for great surround. Once I've decorated and hidden all the wires, I think it'll look like a neat solution to your needs.

I like having the 2 systems completely independent, as I can listen to a CD on my headphones while my Wife can watch TV at the same time (We don't use the TV speakers, The Onkyo and MT are used for all viewing).

The only shared component is the sub.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i also run to seperate sytems - my hi fi is listed below - then i run a ony 876 with arcam solo/muso or my surround - my room is about 9m long and 4m wide all though settee is at about 5m no problem filling space with sound - i can also highly recommend the arcam setup its fantastic

Dennis Michos

Jun 24, 2008
Visit site
Hi Big Chris,
Yes this is what I have in mind. I like the idea of two seperate systems. Only difference is that there will be a projector so probably the central speaker will be lower. My problem is that I will be sitting 4m away from the front speakers and there will be a distance of 3-4m between the 2 front speakers . I hope the MT30 or other style speakers will be enough to send the sound at a distance of 4m with good quality
Don't you feel that your Big Onkyo is a bit "too much" for the MT30?. This is my doubt too.....The Big Onkyo can easily drive any of the big speakers around. I would feel that the Style Speakers would be too small for a beast like the big Onkyos, Pioneers or Yamaha (but I may be wrong)

Dennis Michos

Jun 24, 2008
Visit site
Hi trevor79,
This looks a good alternative (in case I will decide to share the front speakers between Hifi and AV).
Are you satisfied with the RS8 as HiFi speakers? I am sure they will be great with AV
Same with your Onkyo. I will probably be happy with the HiFi capabilities of the Onkyo but I wouldn't mind some more dedicated amply with more HiFi characteristics (e.g. Cyrus 8vs2)
The type of music I listen to is more orchestral (film scores) so I am not sure if the same front speakers (from any brand) would be good for both Hifi and AV (maybe yes, just asking....)

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
I don't understand why you need two separate setups in the same listening area, fair one if your room is massive and perhaps 'L' shaped with two listening areas. I have a AV setup integrated with my hifi setup. I have my AV Receiver connected via front pre-out (phono) to my hifi amp. The hifi amp (Arcam) drives the front left and right and the AVR drives the centre, sub and rears. I have full sized book shelf rear speakers and I suppose I could change them for more compact 'lifestyle' speakers and maybe even go 7.1 but tbh I'm happy enough with my setup. My fronts are currently floorstanders but as the majority of my music is now in digital form on my PC and streamed wirelessly, I use a 2.1 setup for music (pure direct mode but bypassing the AVR's amplification) so am considering book shelfs as an upgrade.

It works for me.

Dennis Michos

Jun 24, 2008
Visit site
Well,
I am not familiar with 7.1.....how does it work? :)
I want to use 2 seperate setups in order to have 2 very good front speakers for HiFi (music is more important for me) and not have to buy the Center and Rear speakers from the same brand as the front speakers
According to most of the people here a 5.1 setup should consist of speakers from same brand.....
If I want to buy a 3000 euros front speakers because I want to have a very good HiFi system does not mean I want to spend another 4000 euros for the central and rear speakers in order to match the quality of the whole system......

Messiah

Seems a fair point and also shows why Big Chris' pictured system is the type of solution you are after!

Added to that, I think the MT-30 package from B&W will be fine as these are nice small speakers to accomodate. The 685 package will be large and I'm not sure that is what you want.

Although personally I would go with the Radius package as I prefer the MA sound.

Dennis Michos

Jun 24, 2008
Visit site
How does it work?
I skip the centre speaker and I have the voice from the front speakers, correct?
Is this something which can be handled by the receiver? (any special setup needed??)
What are the advantages and disadvantages?

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
Yes, that's correct the centre speaker channel is simply directed to the front l/r. You simply set the centre speaker to 'None' or whatever your current/future receiver requires. The main advantage is obviously saving on the cost of a centre speaker! With good quality fronts and positioning, I'm sure you wouldn't miss the centre. As centre speakers tend to be sited wherever they will fit, they're usually not at the same height as the front l/r anyway, so the whole tonal matching thing kind of goes out the window. Some purists would argue that the fronts need to be the same speaker. Centre speakers have to conform to racks and shelves. I'm sure manufacturers try their best to have them as similar to standard speakers as much as possible but they're ultimately a compromise.

In the end, try it and see if it works for you.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Dennis Michos:Well,
I am not familiar with 7.1.....how does it work? :)
I want to use 2 seperate setups in order to have 2 very good front speakers for HiFi (music is more important for me) and not have to buy the Center and Rear speakers from the same brand as the front speakers
According to most of the people here a 5.1 setup should consist of speakers from same brand.....
If I want to buy a 3000 euros front speakers because I want to have a very good HiFi system does not mean I want to spend another 4000 euros for the central and rear speakers in order to match the quality of the whole system......

I think if you are spending 3000 euros on front speakers you want something better than an Onkyo 875 to run them off for Hifi and you definitely need a centre speaker for surround as that is where all the dialogue comes from in a film
Presuming that you are also spending 1500 euros on A/V speakers could you not try something like B&W 805S fronts and centre with DS3 or 686 rears or something similar like Trevor79s RS8 system etc. It would sound great for music but better than a style system for surround.

A

Anonymous

Dennis Michos:
Hi trevor79,
This looks a good alternative (in case I will decide to share the front speakers between Hifi and AV).
Are you satisfied with the RS8 as HiFi speakers? I am sure they will be great with AV
Same with your Onkyo. I will probably be happy with the HiFi capabilities of the Onkyo but I wouldn't mind some more dedicated amply with more HiFi characteristics (e.g. Cyrus 8vs2)
The type of music I listen to is more orchestral (film scores) so I am not sure if the same front speakers (from any brand) would be good for both Hifi and AV (maybe yes, just asking....)

Hi Dennis,

I have enjoyed 'Hi End' quality music for well over 20 years now, and with various modifications to Speakers, Sony 970RDR, and additions of two Mains conditioning units, dedicated supply line, Kimber Classic Powerkords/4TC speaker for the RS8's, I have achieved a very musical system that is now light years away from how it was out of the box!
For music I use the PL2 setting, it now has deeper base, music is alive with sweet, natural detail.
What very few people seem to understand is the hidden potential of equipment to sound really great. Linn, Naim, Cyrus, Marantz, Quad, Meridian, to name a few can be lifted onto 'the best that money can buy' levels with internal modifications.
If you heard my system you would buy it. It does everything you are looking for, Hi Fi better than Cyrus 8vs2, much better.

I like the Onkyo because it is a full 'class A' AV amp with a large/heavy transformer and Burr Brown chips. The problem it has with its musicality is the noise off the power circuits effect the signal path. Sort that out (as I have done) and it is a excellent Hi Fi amplifier.
The MA RS8 AV package weak point is the 'In House' capacitors in the crossover board on the RS8! They close down the speed and timing of the speaker. Replacing these with Clarity Cap SA's and bypassing them with 0.01uf polys transforms the sound.

Don't need to think of future upgrades now, can't really improve on what I have now got (so my ears tell me).

Dennis Michos

Jun 24, 2008
Visit site
I think if you are spending 3000 euros on front speakers you want something better than an Onkyo 875 to run them off for Hifi and you definitely need a centre speaker for surround as that is where all the dialogue comes from in a film

I never said I would like to use the receiver for running my HiFi speakers. I plan to have some Roksan or Cyrus or someother model will be out by then.....

Presuming that you are also spending 1500 euros on A/V speakers could you not try something like B&W 805S fronts and centre with DS3 or 686 rears or something similar like Trevor79s RS8 system etc. It would sound great for music but better than a style system for surround.

Because I don't want to have 4 (full size) front speakers. I am sure the RS8 AV would be a great AV system and better than the MT30. But my room will look more like a HiFi Dealer show room than a living room :)

Dennis Michos

Jun 24, 2008
Visit site
Hi Trevor,
Very interesting all these technical modifications but although I am an electronics engineer I wouldn't be able to make them myself :)
The RS8 look great and could (probably) satisfy my HiFi needs.
When I was talking about 3000 euros front speakers was more to indicate that music is more important for me.
Still the rear speakers of the RS8 AV would be a bit too big....
If some good style speakers can give me the 75-80% of normal sized speakers (even by paying more) I would go fo them
I need to go to some shops and check if style speakers can fit my needs. I understand that the full size 5.1 speakers will be better than the Style Speakers but can be that the later can satisfy my AV needs which are not the same as my HiFi needs
Thanks for the help

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
My idea of using 805s for front speakers is that you would use them for both Hifi and surround.and the DS3s would sit flush on the back wall. 805s and Spendor A5s are about the same price in the UK so presumably would be the same where you are.

Why not try Dali Ikon 7 fronts with the rest of the speakers from the Ikon 6 package.or something similar.

A

Anonymous

Dennis Michos:
Hi Trevor,
Very interesting all these technical modifications but although I am an electronics engineer I wouldn't be able to make them myself :)
The RS8 look great and could (probably) satisfy my HiFi needs.
When I was talking about 3000 euros front speakers was more to indicate that music is more important for me.
Still the rear speakers of the RS8 AV would be a bit too big....
If some good style speakers can give me the 75-80% of normal sized speakers (even by paying more) I would go fo them
I need to go to some shops and check if style speakers can fit my needs. I understand that the full size 5.1 speakers will be better than the Style Speakers but can be that the later can satisfy my AV needs which are not the same as my HiFi needs
Thanks for the help

No, its only the RS8 that are floorstanders, the package includes the award winning RSW12 sub, the RSLCR centre and the RSFX rears that are really small and sit near the ceiling on the back wall.

The biggest improvements come from the Mains conditioning units which give a clean power rail supply so the signal paths really open up. The effect on an AV amp is greater than plugging in a PSX unit on Cyrus amps.

Why not look at Russ Andrews site for more info, it will give you a better idea.

Dennis Michos

Jun 24, 2008
Visit site
Will a Cyrus 6vs2 or a Roksan Kandy III match the RS8? I have a Marantz CD6002 which I don't plan to upgrade soon (bought it 6 months ago)
For AV I will probably use some Yamaha 1900 or similar.....too early to say.....will the RS8 AV be a good match with such receiver?

A

Anonymous

Cyrus and Monitor Audio go together well. Seeing you have a Cyrus amp already, I suggest you audition the RS8 AV system.

The Yamaha 1900, (£1000) at only 130w x 7 I think it is a little underpowered for the speakers and room size.
Think you will end up with a much better sound with the Onkyo 876 (£600) 200w x 7, if you go onto spend some money on cleaning up your mains.

Also on a A/B comparison with your Cyrus you might be surprised by how musical it is.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts