Style speaker package 5.1 - B&W XT series or Tannoy Arena Highline 500

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
I am looking out for a sourround system. If it wasn't for my wife I would go for Dali Ikon 6, being a dane and all :)

But as I now have to fullfil the W-factor also, I am looking out for a style speaker package. I will however not make any compromise with the sound, and this I guess is likely to make it more expensive...

Well, there will only be room for one speaker package in our department, so this also needs to function as a plain stereo set. Or in other words, I have certain demands for the musical capabilities of the front speakers - as standalone speakers.

The mentioned speaker sets falls in the likings of my wife. Which of them would you recommend in this situation? The Tannoy set is quite a lot cheaper than the B&W set. Do you get superior performance for the extra price?

A

Anonymous

Having heard the XT4's in a hi-fi situation, I can't say i was particularly impressed. I appreciate they're a compromise on a big box speaker, but they just didn't sound as thought they were worth almost £2k. For the same price, try the Dali Mentor 5's. Quite a compact little floorstander that will far outperform any lifestyle speakers. There's also competition from Proac's Tri-Towers at this price point as well.

Another alternative is KEF's XQ30's, which are a very effectively a high quality iQ5SE. Again, a compact floorstander that will outperform lifestyle speakers and should wow the missus too.

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the reply 4LKN4.

I know it is difficult to get 'real' sound out of a style speaker, and they are often more expensive. You have to live with some kind of compromise.

I will have a look at the mentioned speakers. Maybe I can convince the missus
emotion-1.gif
. Even though I am afraid she has other styles in mind...

I was actually also considering another Dali speaker set, the Piano range. I just havent been successful in finding any proper reviews on these. Anyone who knows how they perform?

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the feedback!

The Tannoy-Revolution surely is another great suggestion! I think they are very stylish, but then again I am one of the guys who thinks speakers are a natural and nice looking part of the living room. My wife on the other hand refer to our current Dali 400 speakers - which are actually quite similar to the Tannoy speakers in appearance - as 'big ugly wooden boxes'.

Therefore to be more precise, I have convinced her that front speakers needs a certain size to be musical - in my humble opinion. She has accepted that, but have instead demanded a more fancy and none wooden look, like the ones I originally suggested or the Dali Piano.

Of the 3, what would you recommend?

I am of course also still open for other suggestions, just as long as they are metallic looking
emotion-1.gif

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
Ok, I will give this one last shot. I realise style speakers are not the most hot topic for real Hifi enthusiasts.

I made some searches and found out the Tannoy will be difficult to purchase in Denmark, and therefore even harder to get on audition.

The Dali Piano is a niche product in Denmark it seems like. There is not much to find online for these speakers.

That leaves me with the B&W XT set. The XT4 is actually the only speakers I have auditioned so far. I was astounded by the sound from these speakers. It was so crisp and clear. But I really do not have any reference as I haven't listened to many speakers. What also appeals to me by the XT series is the amazing P1 sub.

Any final words? Otherwise I will probably go for the B&W set.

A

Anonymous

The Tannoy Arena Highline 500 got fantastic reviews when they were tested and my dealer spoke very highly of them. You can get quite a discount off the retail price if you shop around and in my view that makes them potentially a great buy. I wouldn't give up on them yet :)

A

Anonymous

How about M&K speakers. They are small, black and glossy and they are very highly acclaimed for movies. Here's the website:ÿhttp://www.mksoundsystem.com/default.htm

A

Anonymous

Nintendo_Fan:How about M&K speakers. They are small, black and glossy and they are very highly acclaimed for movies. Here's the website:ÿhttp://www.mksoundsystem.com/default.htmOr the Xenons - smaller than the XT's, cheaper, and they'll knock spots off them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts