Stupid question - matching pre and power amps

treesey

OK - so I have Mission 752s, which have bi-wire terminals.

Can I usefully use the following amps together, with (I am thinking) the 40W per channel power-amp driving the high/mid and the 70W per channel integrated amp driving the low?

Details on the amplifiers:

I have my original Crimson Elektrik 520 power amp:

FR: 1.5Hz-50KHz / Input: 0dB (775mV) 50K ohms / Output: 40 WRMS at 8 ohms

I am getting an Arcam Delta 290 integrated amp:

Pream output: nominal 800mV, maximum 8V, impedance 100 ohms / Output power: 70 W at 8 ohms

treesey said:
OK - so I have Mission 752s, which have bi-wire terminals.

Can I usefully use the following amps together, with (I am thinking) the 40W per channel power-amp driving the high/mid and the 70W per channel integrated amp driving the low?

Details on the amplifiers:

I have my original Crimson Elektrik 520 power amp:

FR: 1.5Hz-50KHz / Input: 0dB (775mV) 50K ohms / Output: 40 WRMS at 8 ohms

I am getting an Arcam Delta 290 integrated amp:

Pream output: nominal 800mV, maximum 8V, impedance 100 ohms / Output power: 70 W at 8 ohms

I wouldn't like to try it. Just run a single cable run from the Arcam.

treesey said:
Al ears said:
I wouldn't like to try it. Just run a single cable run from the Arcam.

But why not?

Because you're going to have two different amps in the equation and its going to be near impossible to adjust volume plus it will probably sound awful. If the Arcam has a pre-out ( don't think it does) you could then connect it to the power amp, using the Arcam as a preamp, then just run a speaker cable from the power amp only. However not sure this is advisable either.

The Arcam is a fine amp, keep things simple and just use as is or go and buy a decent pre-amp would be my advise.

Correction:- it does have pre-outs so you can use it to supply your power amp so you could use it as a preamp. I would forget about the biwireing / biamping though as you are unlikely to hear any improvement. Try it and see.

By the way is that Crimson a stereo power amp or a monoblock?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts