Streaming music from PC with a PS3

magicshaunson

Apr 18, 2008
Visit site
Hello all,

Apologies if this has been covered before. Can someone tell me whether or not it's possible to stream music from a home PC on a wireless network with a PS3 -thereby outputting it to the Onkyo SR605?

Thanks in advance

A

Anonymous

Do you really need to run software to do it? I got it working on mine and I didn't have to install anything. I just had to enable some media sharing thing in WMP11 and that let me stream and copy music, video and photos to my PS3.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
If you are using windows, give WMP11 a try first. I had no problem streaming media from my PC to PS3 using WMP11. If you have problems (which I don't think you will) I may be able to help you out.
TVersity? I tried that. Absolutely hated it. I don't know why people rate it so much. Cos it's not M$?
Twonky? Why pay? Might be better with movies? I find that my PS3 is a bit stop/start with home movies. Don't know if it's WMP11 or the powerline network I'm using.
Incidently, I did have WMP11 and PS3 streaming over wireless with no problems (except the movie issue above).

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
I have replaced my powerline network with a fully wired gigabit network.
The issues with streaming movies appear to have gone away.
For some reason I am unable to steam .wav files. I suspect this is actually an issue with WMP rather than the PS3.

To head off discussions over various merits of flac, wav, etc, I was trying to stream wav files to the PS3 as an experiment. I wanted to compare the relative quality of .wav to 320vbr MP3 using my wife's totally impartial and highly sensitive bat ears! That experiment is on hold for the moment.

John Duncan

[quote user="PJPro"]I don't know why people rate it so much. Cos it's not M$?[/quote]

No, only because it was free - I have no need for it personally. And without MS, there'd be fewer of us here talking to each other, frankly.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"][snip] without MS, there'd be fewer of us here talking to each other, frankly.[/quote]
Agreed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts