Streaming confusion NP30 + DAC or stream magic 6

def lugs

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Hello chaps - I am after some advice on a dedicated music streamer. I currently use my Oppo 93, feeding into a Dacmagic 2 for music listening duty < both streaming and CD. I am happy with the result but not happy with the slow interface and the fact I need to switch TV on to find specific tracks.

I have auditioned the Cambridge NP30 which interface was good but sound quality did not live upto my current solution. I was unable to audition the NP30 feeding into a separate DAC. I thought the NP30 on it's own lacked detail and accuracy placing intruments correctly in the soundstage.

I was wondering if any forum users had tried out this combination and could comment on its sound quality?

I also auditoned the Stream magic 6 - this was a good step up from a NP30 and provided a very pleasing listen but at £700 will take another couple of months saving.

Another option is a squeezebox touch feeding into a DAC - however this would require purchasing a new NAS drive as my current WD MyBook Live will not run Squeezebox server. Though buying a new NAS and a squeezebox would still leave a lot of change in my pocket over the stream magic so it could still be an option.

nads

def lugs said:
Another option is a squeezebox touch feeding into a DAC - however this would require purchasing a new NAS drive as my current WD MyBook Live will not run Squeezebox server. Though buying a new NAS and a squeezebox would still leave a lot of change in my pocket over the stream magic so it could still be an option.
and you could sell the DacMagic.

def lugs

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Will answer this tomorrow...

Thank's John I would appreciate your views.

nads said:
def lugs said:

This would then leave me without a DAC?

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
def lugs said:
John Duncan said:
Will answer this tomorrow...

Thank's John I would appreciate your views.

nads said:
def lugs said:

This would then leave me without a DAC?

The DAC in the Touch is pretty well regarded. I haven't heard it though, so don't take this as advice to go one way or another.

def lugs

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Alec said:
The DAC in the Touch is pretty well regarded. I haven't heard it though, so don't take this as advice to go one way or another.

Thanks Alec I have heard good reports about it but would not buy unless I can have a listen first.

nads

def lugs said:
Alec said:

Thanks Alec I have heard good reports about it but would not buy unless I can have a listen first.
well mine soon got sold after the Touch was bought.

If you need a DAC for other boxes look at one that would also be an improvment for the Squezebox. I have no need for a DAC at all any more.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts