Streamer control apps - specifically Marantx MCR 603

Twill

Oct 6, 2007
Visit site
I thought I read somewhere on WHF that the Marantz control app for iPhone for the MCR603 wasn't the best. I now can't find such a mention in the current review.

Has anyone got experience of using the control app to help with network streaming on the MCR603?

I'm looking for a streaming option with a good control app that makes rooting around in my NAS as simple and intuitive as possible.

I've considered the Denon 720 as another good budget streaming option to add to my existing system, but wonder if the Marantz might be an even better simple solution that would also enable me to paper over some of the cracks in my existing system by providing an all in one replacement at a good price.

Really though, it's the comparative merits of streaming control apps for iPhone I'm interested in, so that I can ditch the laptop as a source.

Have considered Sonos but don't like their power consumption stats. I wouldn't want to be burning 4w day and night, like it or not, just on point of principle alone.

Thanks.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Sorry I can't help because if I were streaming from an external drive, then I would continue to use iTunes/AirPlay.

(Actually I do sometimes stream my Lossless stuff, wirelessly, from an iMac in the next room using AirPlay and the Apple remote app on my iPhone.) Our M-CR603 is connected with ethernet to the Apple Extreme 802.11n wireless base station/hub.

However, Apple, AirPlay, iTunes gets frowned upon a lot nowadays as not being a very 'purist' solution. I love it but that's not going to help you.

I guess you'd be better off with Sonos and switch it off at night.

Twill

Oct 6, 2007
Visit site
Fair point. I used to think Airplay was lossless for standard def, but apparently it's not bit perfect... or something... hmmm. It's a smidge beyond me.

I just think that with streamers having more and more features, the key to real ease of use is an excellent control app, and I've heard whispers that the Marantz's isn't.

The more I lean towards a streaming option, the more I think about good old fashioned IR remotes, volume dials, and physical buttons. It also strikes me though that a traditional IR remote just probably isn't flexible enough to make searching and hopping around massive digital archives as easy and immediate as it needs to be.

Thanks for the thoughts though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts