Stream Magic 6 or other streamer owners---does it sound better than a computer?

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Dear forumers,

I like a lot of members here, am curious about streamers. Interested to hear from actualy owners here, have you compared it to your pc via the same dac? Does it sound better through the same dac or am I better off just upgrading my current dac? I am well aware of the arguments for and against streamers and would urge the non believers to not bother, I just want to hear from actual owners themselves.

Sincerely,

Shafin

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
No idea I'm afraid, I never listened to music direct from the pc to the stereo and it doesn't have an optical output anyway so I couldn't judge that part of the question if I wanted to.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
shafesk said:
Dear forumers,

I like a lot of members here, am curious about streamers. Interested to hear from actualy owners here, have you compared it to your pc via the same dac? Does it sound better through the same dac or am I better off just upgrading my current dac? I am well aware of the arguments for and against streamers and would urge the non believers to not bother, I just want to hear from actual owners themselves.

In which case you only want to hear from people saying that it does sound better from a streamer. So why ask?

(On the assumption that anyone who thinks a streamer sounded worse wouldn't then go and buy one.)

I am neither a 'believer' or otherwise, just commenting on the logic.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
shafesk said:
Dear forumers,

In which case you only want to hear from people saying that it does sound better from a streamer. So why ask?

(On the assumption that anyone who thinks a streamer sounded worse wouldn't then go and buy one.)

I think that comment was meant to mean that replies from users of both technologies are sought and not the views of those who sit on one side of the fence, or the other.

However, a non believer might be so, because they have heard a streamer and found it wanting in some way.

I am perfectly happy with my set up for now (just as well given the upgrade finance pot status) and cannot really see how changing any of my source is going to greatly affect the sound quality for the better anyway. Speakers are another issue however.;)

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I've tried 4 or 5 different computers and they all sound different...so I would say the answer you might get from anyone depends on what computer they're using and how it's all connected up and what DAC it's connected to v what streamer they happen to have.

I reckon the question you want to be asking yourself is how good is the relative performance of the DAC in a streamer like the StreamMagic v your DacMagic.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Sorry, all getting a bit 'religious' with this believer/non-believer language.

I 'stream' internet radio on occasion (via AirPlay from my iPhone and iPlayer). I also stream from my iMac (Apple Lossless via AirPlay) and it sounds absolutely fine. The iMac is in the adjoining room, so the - albeit minimal - noise from the iMac is not an issue anyway.

It sounds extremely good. Internet radio (from iPhone/TuneIn Radio Pro app) is even better quality than using the built-in internet radio feature on my Marantz (probably because TuneIn Radio Pro always finds the highest bite rate and uses AAC, where available, whereas whatever software the Marantz uses doesn't.)

I have the digital optical input (on the Marantz) connected to my TV for good quality stereo sound from TV, Blu-ray and Humax.

My criteria for streaming is convenience, lack of extra boxes, minimal cables and, yes, sound quality (but not to the point where I would invest in an extra DAC, seperate streamer, extra cables etc. just for the sake of what might be a tiny increment in quality.)

I have done with all that 'believing' and got a system that does exactly what I need with more than satisfactory results and a lot of enjoyment. We can even just pop in a CD if needed.

Four extra boxes, thirteen more cables and 17 months ago I worried about crap like this but frankly I don't give a toss.

I don't even recommend the Marantz M-CR603 anymore because it is inevitably followed up with "will it drive my 8 foot floorstanders and still be loud at the end of my 65 feet long garden?" type questions, or people insisting on wanting to use it without ethernet or with some flaky internet service that means you know they'll be on here next week blaming Marantz because they can't read the effing instructions and are never even going to get the initial firmware download completed let alone Spotify!

That feels better.

John Duncan

I haven't tried plugging my computer (or either of my laptops) into the Stream Magic (thus making it "the same DAC") because 1) my iMac is in the kitchen and 2) both my laptops are currently buggered. So I stop worrying about it and just listen to it, and it sounds fantastic.

However, IF you can bear to have your computer permanently plugged into a DAC via USB, I'd be more inclined to get a DACMagic Plus and save yourself a few hundred quid, since they're ostensibly the same from an output stage point of view.

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
shafesk said:
Dear forumers,

No I mean the non-believers who don't have streamers shouldn't bother. Anyone who has/had a streamer is welcome to comment.

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
paradiziac said:
I reckon the question you want to be asking yourself is how good is the relative performance of the DAC in a streamer like the StreamMagic v your DacMagic.
Well apparently due a computer not being the "perfect source" a pc sounds worse than a streamer connected to the same dac. So its apparently not just dac vs dac. I've read it from Hi-fi world. They also claim that streaming cd rips sounded better than the cd via the stream magic :wall: Even WHF said that the rips from a Naim Uniti sounded better than the original cd. That is why I am contemplating getting a streamer and not another dac. I just think that in order to significantly better my dac magic I would need to spend incredible amounts on a dac--like 1000 pounds plus. If I am going to spend that much on a dac, I'd rather spend it on a good streamer with a good built in dac as I will just be using a dac for playing files on my pc/nas anyway. (Hope this makes sense)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
shafesk said:
No I mean the non-believers who don't have streamers shouldn't bother. Anyone who has/had a streamer is welcome to comment.

I have been one of the strong voices on here for the benefits of streaming, and (imo) it's superiority to CD.....in particular the Linn DS range with which I'm more familiar. Since this forum is littered with my views, I won't bore you further, unless of course you insist!

Cno

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
shafesk said:
paradiziac said:
Well apparently due a computer not being the "perfect source" a pc sounds worse than a streamer connected to the same dac. So its apparently not just dac vs dac. I've read it from Hi-fi world. They also claim that streaming cd rips sounded better than the cd via the stream magic :wall: Even WHF said that the rips from a Naim Uniti sounded better than the original cd. That is why I am contemplating getting a streamer and not another dac. I just think that in order to significantly better my dac magic I would need to spend incredible amounts on a dac--like 1000 pounds plus. If I am going to spend that much on a dac, I'd rather spend it on a good streamer with a good built in dac as I will just be using a dac for playing files on my pc/nas anyway. (Hope this makes sense)

Probably I shouldn't have gotten involved as I don't own a streamer...

Sure, computers are not perfect sources, but then neither are streamers—that's why the likes of Linn, Naim and many others have a range of products at different price points.

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
+1

Like Cno , I also consider a decent rip streamed properly will give better results than cd. Linn appeared to abandon cd production when all of their streamers produced a better sound.

Haven't heard the stream magic so can't comment but have recently bought linn majik after 5 years of squeezebox. Not played a cd for a long time (except the odd one in the car).

Still buy CDs but only to rip. just bought a cd storage case as they are all heading for the attic!

Pedro

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
shafesk said:

I have been one of the strong voices on here for the benefits of streaming, and (imo) it's superiority to CD.....in particular the Linn DS range with which I'm more familiar. Since this forum is littered with my views, I won't bore you further, unless of course you insist!

Cno

In terms of sound quality, I don't think any transport method is superior outright. My Mac/USB converter/DAC sounds quite a lot better than a couple of mid-range CD players I have feeding the same DAC. But that's not to say a £10k CD transport or streamer couldn't be even better. But there again, I could replace the spinning HDD in the Mac with Solid State drives, run my USB converter off a battery, upgrade the power and digital leads, get some Black Ravioli...

That said, I don't think the digital transport method will have that much of an influence if you are feeding the signal to a budget DAC.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts