Strapped For Cash

• Thread starter BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW
  • Start date
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I realise that my language was not the best in my first post, but I do not think it's fair to remove it, or the next one.

Why have my post been censored, while those who only preach negativity are allowed to remain.

Strapped For Cash is, and has been a very helpful, informative, and friendly forum member to myself, and many others, and I feel he has been almost bullied into leaving the forum, by antagonistic and negative posting my certain members.

I did hope he would refrain from entering into debates, which were only posted to bait him, but unfortunately his views are so strongly held, he could not resist.

I'm upset that this has been allowed to happen by WHF, as it was obvious to me that the thread started by Cloverleaf was a deliberate attempt to provoke Strapped.

Though I do not agree with all of Strapped's political views, I respect him as person, and support him as a decent human being,

I too do not wish to contribute to a forum that allows decent people to be provoked and baited in such a way.

WHF, you have my permission to forward my email address to Strapped for Cash. Strapped, please keep in touch.

And to gel, Ben, BB and others, it's been nice talking to you, and thanks for the help.

[note from mods - your post was unpublished for severe profanity; no need for that, whatever the provocation. Thread has been locked and statement clearly made re starting threads of this nature. Now, who wants to discuss music or movies instead, hey? Hope to see you back soon]

camac

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
"Strapped",

Don`t let a very small minority bait you into leaving.

Your posts have been very informative and helpful and YOU HAVE ADDED TO MY ENJOYMENT OF THIS FORUM ENORMOUSLY.

YOU WILL BE SORELY MISSED MATE.

All the best.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
[note from mods - Now, who wants to discuss music or movies instead, hey? ]

Include TVs in that, and strapped and BBB would be a good answer. Whereas everybody's favourite lucky charm persistently posts merely to antagonise. I sympathise with the mods as I know you don't wish to or be seen to stifle debate, but I agree with BBB that the OP of that thread had one purpose, and the comment it attracted made a pretty poor advert for anyone stumbling across WHF. It is a sad day when cloverleaf, who deserves all the profanity that I can imagine, continues to post here, whilst strapped and BBB do not.

Anyway, would the mods mind passing my email address to both BBB and strapped please in order that if they wish to they can get in touch with me. I for one would like to hear how their TV travails progress over the next few months.

A

Anonymous

Censorship is always sinister.

You know who you are. Shame.

Life's too short for petty fights. The main purpose of the forum is to discuss AV & Hi Fi, so I don't know why should Strapped or BBB quit the forum in protest. This isn't a political platform. Quitting in protest for actives or cables is more understandable. ;)

D

Deleted member 2457

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I realise that my language was not the best in my first post, but I do not think it's fair to remove it, or the next one.

Why have my post been censored, while those who only preach negativity are allowed to remain.

Strapped For Cash is, and has been a very helpful, informative, and friendly forum member to myself, and many others, and I feel he has been almost bullied into leaving the forum, by antagonistic and negative posting my certain members.

I did hope he would refrain from entering into debates, which were only posted to bait him, but unfortunately his views are so strongly held, he could not resist.

I'm upset that this has been allowed to happen by WHF, as it was obvious to me that the thread started by Cloverleaf was a deliberate attempt to provoke Strapped.

Though I do not agree with all of Strapped's political views, I respect him as person, and support him as a decent human being,

I too do not wish to contribute to a forum that allows decent people to be provoked and baited in such a way.

WHF, you have my permission to forward my email address to Strapped for Cash. Strapped, please keep in touch.

And to gel, Ben, BB and others, it's been nice talking to you, and thanks for the help.

[note from mods - your post was unpublished for severe profanity; no need for that, whatever the provocation. Thread has been locked and statement clearly made re starting threads of this nature. Now, who wants to discuss music or movies instead, hey? Hope to see you back soon]

Don't go BBB, I'm sure the member in question won't be around for much longer if he continues down the same route. Cheers for the help and advice and chats if this is it. I am Thegelman on AVForums it would be good to stay in touch with you and Strapped. You just do a search for my name and can contact me through being a member.

Cheers Gel.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I always thought that a majority of posters on this site were grown adults, but it appears not. It's like a bunch of kids throwing their toys about just because they can't tolerate others point of views. You may not like what Cloverleaf and others said but they are entitled to a point of view. All of the foul language was posted by the so called do gooders who have quit the site, well good riddance if you can't tolerate all points of view. Besides you didn't have to get involved in the thread at all did you.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
eggontoast said:
I always thought that a majority of posters on this site were grown adults, but it appears not. It's like a bunch of kids throwing their toys about just because they can't tolerate others point of views.

Why should anybody have to tolerate intolerance? Your entire viewpoint is based on not tolerating the views and lifestyles of others and yet you think your right to be heard should be respected over and above everyone elses (if this is not your actual viewpoint then I apologise, but you're defending Cloverleaf and his side of the argument so I'm making an assumption you agree with him).

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
eggontoast said:
I always thought that a majority of posters on this site were grown adults, but it appears not. It's like a bunch of kids throwing their toys about just because they can't tolerate others point of views.

Why should anybody have to tolerate intolerance? Your entire viewpoint is based on not tolerating the views and lifestyles of others and yet you think your right to be heard should be respected over and above everyone elses (if this is not your actual viewpoint then I apologise, but you're defending Cloverleaf and his side of the argument so I'm making an assumption you agree with him).

This. With bells.

I agree with every word SFC wrote in his last post, and congratulate him on his patience. Had I kept mine, however, it would have made no difference; when a bigot is right, they are right.

"In part, this is just what hardship does. Generosity drops away and distrust is amplified and embellished, to use as a fig leaf over a spirit of meanness."

(Zoe Williams, The Guardian, 03/04/2013, my italics).

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
eggontoast said:

:clap:

(I hope in the circumstances you'll excuse my non-productive simple agreement.)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
BenLaw said:
The_Lhc said:
eggontoast said:

:clap:

(I hope in the circumstances you'll excuse my non-productive simple agreement.)

Oh, go on then...

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I had no idea that the thread in question was in any way a deliberate wind-up of certain members. But then that will never be known for sure unless the originator owns up to it.

If it was a deliberate wind up then I can't see the point quite honestly, but it makes no difference to anything I said. Also, no amount of prosperity or poverty would change my opinion on scroungers. The Guardian, don't you just love it!?

If WHF are going to allow non-hifi/av/tv etc threads then those contributing to them should have the ability to deal with contrary views to their own. Marching off into the sunset is really sad and not what I would expect from grown-ups.

I don't make a point of being sure who said what to who or who one likes or doesn't, there is far more in my life than the individuals on WHF. That said, I'm pretty sure that Strapped and BBB have made very many positive contributions on here and to that end it will be a shame to lose their input.

I do not extend any wish for them not to go because if they are so easily offended and unable to enter serious debate then better now, than in the inevitable future.

Fare well, and I hope you find a space that better suits your needs.

marou

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure a "serious debate" entails a level of impoliteness which drives others away. Even more argumentative online outlets such as The Guardian are pretty rigorously moderated. What is missing is a degree of self-awareness on being pulled up for a comment which is borderline offensive which allows posters to apologise. This suggests to me that some like to be offensive - why? I simply don't think WHF is the place for it. This may not suit the more "robust" commenters but if I thought mine was a minority viewpoint, I'd probably leave too.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
eggontoast said:

I wasn't particularly defending either side, but I only saw one side of the 'discussion' throwing insults and their toys about then abstaining to post again. One can only assume this is a vain attempt to think someone might give a toss.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
relocated said:
serious debate

Did I miss that? I must have blinked...

Yes T you probably did.

Generally. How does anyone think that society can get better if we restrict debate on the basis of the sensibilities of the most [deliberately?] easily offended in society?

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
if I thought mine was a minority viewpoint, I'd probably leave too.

Do you mean that you would exclude yourself from ever making a contribution on the whole forum because other people didn't agree with you on one thing in the miriad of things we [try to] discuss on WHF?

If yes, then I feel immensely sorry for you. Where exactly is Utopia?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
eggontoast said:
The_Lhc said:
eggontoast said:

I wasn't particularly defending either side, but I only saw one side of the 'discussion' throwing insults and their toys about then abstaining to post again.

That was also the only side that provided any solid facts (that benefit fraud accounts for less than 0.5% of the total welfare budget), rather than throwing around highly emotive comments based on newspaper headlines. The side doing that also never attempted to counter any of the arguments put forward by the other side but you could lay that at both sides really.

TRENDING THREADS