Strange clicking/snapping sound coming from my speakers on certain movies

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Over the last few weeks when I've been watching certain movies on bluray (Paul / Ted) for e.g

from out of nowhere I suddenly get a loud clicking / snapping sound from my speakers mainly the front three!!

At first I thought maybe it was a dodgy disc with some kind of a flaw on the soundtrack but it appears not as I tried them in another player.

It can be that loud I have to quickly reach for my remote to turn it down, now it doesn't do this on all discs I have, only a selected few and also up to now it hasn't done this sound whilst watching movies on Sky just on my bluray player..

Any suggestions as to what can be causing this? :O

Thanks

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
Sounds like your Denon is finally showing its age....
Or the Amp!

Older releases I have on bluray are fine, no problems... But it seems to happen on the newer releases :O

So could this mean the audio has changed somewhat that the Denon is struggling to read??

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
Your Denon is a transport only so there's no question of "struggling to read" audio. Try connecting it to another HDMI input in your receiver. May just be a dodgy HDMI port.
I'll re-phrase "struggling to transport" .....maybe, ha

And yes I'll give it a go bigboss but like you pointed out the Denon is an old boy now and hasn't had any new firmware in 3 years..

Maybe a replacement is on the cards ;)

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
jase fox said:
I've checked on the Denon website and still no further updates, last one was in Dec 2009!!

:O I think that's the reason.
Yes I agree also as I think Denon have now abandoned the 2500BT :-(

Have you any recommendations bigboss as to a worthy replacement for the 2500BT?

Been reading up on the Panasonic BDT-500 , good price and a great review??

Panasonic BDT500 is a very good player & has a premium look & feel to it.

It depends on your budget.
Check out the Oppo 103 which has some new features not found in any other player, like Dual HDMI inputs to allow external devices to take advantage of BDP-103EU's video processing:

http://www.oppo-bluray.co.uk/ecommerce/blu-ray-players/BDP-103EU.aspx

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
Panasonic BDT500 is a very good player & has a premium look & feel to it.

It depends on your budget.

Check out the Oppo 103 which has some new features not found in any other player, like Dual HDMI inputs to allow external devices to take advantage of BDP-103EU's video processing: http://www.oppo-bluray.co.uk/ecommerce/blu-ray-players/BDP-103EU.aspx

I think I would go for the Oppo too.

Apart from the extra features, my main reason for the Oppo would be class leading DVD upscaling. Don't get me wrong; the Panasonic is excellent & has a very good DVD upscaling, but the Oppo beats it in this department.

If this is not important for you, then the Panasonic will be just as good.

Of course you know the drill......demo! :)

A

Anonymous

Weird. We had a very similar situation in our home and then switched to a new/better HDMI cable. Apparently the cheap "in-the-box" HDMI cable that came with our (Samsung) blu-ray player had very poor constrution and caused interruption of signal transfer into the receiver which made the sound go "POP" in our speakers. It wasn't loud or anything but very very disturbing. However, you might have a completely different issue :p ?

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
Apart from the extra features, my main reason for the Oppo would be class leading DVD upscaling. Don't get me wrong; the Panasonic is excellent & has a very good DVD upscaling, but the Oppo beats it in this department.

If this is not important for you, then the Panasonic will be just as good.

Of course you know the drill......demo! :)
Yes I certainly know the drill ! :)

Anyway I'm going to borrow the Panasonic in the next few days for a demo (my local hifi store is good like that ) and I'm going to play the couple of discs that do the "clicking" sound and if it isn't present then I'll know that the culprit was my Denon :cry:

And for the record the "clicking" sound does happen in the same place on the film ! :?

And also it'll give me an opportunity to see if the PQ / AQ is improved over my Denon :)

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
ANLI said:
Weird. We had a very similar situation in our home and then switched to a new/better HDMI cable. Apparently the cheap "in-the-box" HDMI cable that came with our (Samsung) blu-ray player had very poor constrution and caused interruption of signal transfer into the receiver which made the sound go "POP" in our speakers. It wasn't loud or anything but very very disturbing. However, you might have a completely different issue :p ?
I'm using a good HDMI cable ANLI a QED Silver reference!!

And besides if this was the case then why just on certain discs and not all??? Hmmm :?

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Thankyou for the advice Bigboss as it turned out you where right, It was a faulty HDMI port on my amp!

:doh:

When I moved my HDMI cable into another port I did notice that the sound seemed abit louder, as I had to check the volume and turned it down slightly, so maybe the ports been on it's way out for a while ?

Anyway I also demo'd the Panasonic DMP-BD500 player (did this first before checking the port) where the clicking sound was still present, with which eliminated it being my 2500BT, but I still found my Denon to have better picture quality (IMO of course) so even though it's now 4years old it still holds it's own!

So to me bluray picture quality hasn't moved on a great deal, mind you from when I first got the 2500BT i always knew this was going to be a tough player to beat in terms of PQ as always thought it was the pinnacle of bluray.

The only downside of the Denon is it's lack of firmware for the future as I think Denon have now abandoned it :mad:

So I'm curious now to try out the Denon 1713, has anybody had a demo of it yet?

jase fox said:
Thankyou for the advice Bigboss as it turned out you where right, It was a faulty HDMI port on my amp!

:doh:

:cheers:

Try to demo the Oppo.

Check David's initial assessment of the player:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/blu-ray-players/oppo-105-is-it-going-to-make-a-difference?page=2

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
The oppo does sound good Bigboss, although there is a member on here who's got the oppo and the 2500BT and he states that he still prefers the 2500BT over the oppo in terms of PQ etc

Trouble is me getting hold of one as my local HIFI store doesn't stock em, so it would mean just buying one outright where as i'd rather demo first.

Do you know if the Denon 1713 is compatible with NON 3D amps Bigboss? As I notice that the likes of the Panasonic 500 has twin HDMI inputs one for direct feed to Tv and the other for audio, with which states it's better hooked up this way for NON 3D amps, i'm asking as the Denon 1713 only has one HDMI input

Any idea's??

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
The Denon 1713 will be compatible with non-3D amps for non-3D movies. You'll need twin HDMI outputs if you have a 3D TV & want to watch a 3D film without upgrading your amp.
Oh right I see.

Thanks for all your help Bigboss, much appreciated :clap:

michael hoy

Hi Jase,

Missed this post.

I have now sold my 2500BT, found I was not using it at all. The OPPO 95 I have now is a fantastic machine, I do use it for both HDMI and RCA for music.

I now stream most of my music and this works very well via the OPPO, the picture quality is very good and I believe the new 103 & 105's are better still.

They are also built like a tank, something you will be used to with the Denon. The new 105 is bigger than the 95 due to the removal of the fan from the 95.

Have a demo Jase and you will be impressed, you know I would not recommend something I did not believe in.

Have a wonderful christmas and maybe a new player in the new year.

All the best.

Mike

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
michael hoy said:
Hi Jase,

Missed this post.

I have now sold my 2500BT, found I was not using it at all. The OPPO 95 I have now is a fantastic machine, I do use it for both HDMI and RCA for music.

I now stream most of my music and this works very well via the OPPO, the picture quality is very good and I believe the new 103 & 105's are better still.

They are also built like a tank, something you will be used to with the Denon. The new 105 is bigger than the 95 due to the removal of the fan from the 95.

Have a demo Jase and you will be impressed, you know I would not recommend something I did not believe in.

Have a wonderful christmas and maybe a new player in the new year.

All the best.

Mike
Hi Mike

How's you doing? And I have every faith in you Mike as it was you I was referring to earlier in this post, with having the 2500BT and the oppo.

So you've finally sold it, ha It's hard to imagine ever parting with the Denon :O but i suppose time marches on!

I still enjoy the 2500BT and I must admit Mike I've found it so damn hard to wanna part with it mate, the only gripe I really have with the 2500BT is it's now non existant firmware, I have a feeling that one day some of the later titles maynot play on it so I'm getting prepared so to speak.

I think that's why the Denon 1713UD sounds appealing to me as It's still, well, a Denon :dance: and I've always loved Denon players.

So I'm going to definately try the 1713UD and if I'm not to impressed with it (amazed if that happens) I'll possibly consider the Oppo

Can I ask Mike, how much did you sell your Denon for??

Cheers

michael hoy

Hi Jase,

Probably for less than I could have got :) it was snapped up within 1/2 hr.

£200.00 - It was imaculate, boxed etc.

Probably the equivalent now would be the 3313 UD - reduced price here.

I know it is hard to replace something that you like so much, my wife likes to watch some 3D films now and the changes to the room set up are on hold at the moment, so for me, it was time to sell.

Enjoy looking and listening.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts