Still not enjoying my system....

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello there!

My Hi Fi system is a Naim 5i-2 Amp & CD player, B&W CM7 Speakers, Chord Anthem 2 interconnect, Chord Odyssey speaker cable, chord power cables for Amp & CD player, Tacima Power Adapter, Naim Headphone Amp, NAPSC power supply, Alessandro II Headphones.

I'm still not happy with the mid range of my system. What can I do to improve it? Any suggestions??

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Give it to me and I'll enjoy it for you.....

Try plugging the amp directly into the power socket not the Tacima?

You haven't said how long you've had it either, is it just running in?

A

Anonymous

I'm sorry if this is too obvious but it happened to me yesterday..

I wasn't enjoying my system at all until for experimentation i dropped the speakers terminal links. I just made a jumper with a short strand of speaker cable bare wire and it was night and day.

Now i am happy.

I

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:
I've never felt that B&W and Naim make a good match.

I totally agreed. Never felt the Naim and B&W is a good match. For better mid, try pairing the 5i with Spendor or Dynaudio. I have good experience pairing Naim with Spendor, Dynaudio and Sonus Faber. They seems to go well.

T

the record spot

What's the problem with the midrange? How is it differing from what you want to hear?

Have you tried repositioning your speakers? What's your room like - as in, are there any soft furnishings or is it more of a contemporary, clean-cut design with lots of bare surfaces - wood floors, etc?

Go back to basic with the whole arrangement before lashing the cash on anything else. Also, ask your dealer (if the speaker repositioning doesn't work) what he can suggest. Did you buy everything from the one dealer?

Chord Odyssey speaker cable...okay...here's another "back to basics" suggestion. Get some generic speaker wire. Single strand copper core, or some basic stranded stuff. NOT bell wire, that's not the point of the suggestion. Failing that, Audioquest Type IV (or similar, it's not the brand that's important, it's the cable construction you're interested in here) - I use this and have done since the late 1990s and my stereo's sound quality is excellent (for what I want to hear).

I'd be inclined to unplug the Tacima for now as well. If you do need a block, you can always plug it back in later. Alternatively, try out one of the unbranded white blocks you see in B&Q. Yes, the ones that are less than a fiver. You probably already own one.

The point isn't to debunk "accepted" hifi theory, it's crossing off all the options you can try right now that don't involve extra spend, or very minimal in the case of new speaker wire to help the system deliver what you're looking for. You can always add these bits back in later on.

In case you're wondering, I'm somewhat sceptical of the benefits offered by expensive cable accessories - another issue for another thread however - but trying out cheaper alternatives will give you the chance to compare and contrast without breaking the bank.

Your problem seems to be more one of getting your system to meet your expectation, as somewhere along the line, what you want and what it's delivering went their separate ways.

Ticklist:-

- speaker reposition
- room furnishings
- unplug mains conditioner
- generic speaker cables
- understanding what you want to hear in contrast to the sound being delivered.

Hope that helps (in some/any small way)! And you can of course keep your existing wires in place until you're sure that the 'free' suggestions aren't at fault. So reposition the speakers and chuck the cushions round the room with nary a backward glance. Okay, your other half will give you hell, but hey, sweeten the deal and make the dinner...!

A

Anonymous

nexski:FrankHarveyHiFi:
I've never felt that B&W and Naim make a good match.

I totally agreed. Never felt the Naim and B&W is a good match. For better mid, try pairing the 5i with Spendor or Dynaudio. I have good experience pairing Naim with Spendor, Dynaudio and Sonus Faber. They seems to go well.Agreed. Changing cables etc will do nothing. Having heard the CM series with Naim I too found the midrange a touch recessed.

Try Vienna Acoustics as well. They're a good partner for Naim.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
I agree with Mr. Spot's extensive advice, but would suggest trying Naim's NAC A5 cable (something I am about to do).

If the 'going back to basics' advice doesn't work then Neat speakers are a great match with Naim.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
If the Naim/B&W combo/sound/synergy isn't working then changing a cable is not going to do the trick. I am a cable believer but that is asking rather too much.

You either need to change the speakers or the components. One has to go.

A

Anonymous

i got some acoustic foam and that made all the difference in my set up, more detail, all in all more enjoyable to listen too......its worth a shot, worked for me......eight acoustic panels on the walls and two bass traps, the stop the reflections so you hear the speakers and not the sound bouncing off the walls which muddles up the sound.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts