Still buying CDs ?

I am finding myself buying more and more CDs , the price of some albums on Amazon can be under a quid! Great value, and cracking sound.

I must have bought 20 CDs already this year. That's on top of the vinyl I have been buying also.

Still discovering new and old gems. Today I'm listening to sepultura, chaos ad. Sounds fantastic.

Anyone else still enthusiastic about the little silver discs?

A

Anderson

I ripped my CD collection about 10 years ago, I had hundreds, stored them after. When I moved I just never brought them with me, now I don't even have anything to play them on.

I really did believe that digital downloads would be a lot healer than they are currently. Should have known.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Yeah still buying CDs. I hadn't bought any in quite a while, but have bought 6 this year so far.

Im quite addicted to Rodrigo y Gabriella's live albums(except live in France which isn't so good)and Major Lazer. Great quality recordings

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
I love my cds I picked up the new Slash album today and the new Answer album lastweek I picked up the physical graffiti rematered 3 disc set

CarlDW

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I have purchased/received around 20 CD's so far this year, and there are plenty more to be bought. ZOverstocks are a great place for getting cheap, good quality discs on the Internet but I have also been into HMV to pick up a new album on release day. I have also imported albums from overseas, so there is definitely life in the old dog yet.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Bought 7 today.

Gnr .. Use your illusion 2 £3 new

Paul Weller wild wood £2 used but mint

Paul Weller heavy soul £2 used mint

Jurassic 5 lp used mint £2

U2 pop. £2 used mint

Stone roses second coming used mint £2

Annie Lennox nostalgia £9 mothers day present

All from fopp.

With my current system, my CD player sounds so organic and incredible. A serious step up in sq from streaming 320kb.

I get the feeling CDs may be here longer than we thought. I thought the end was coming 5 years ago or so, but no. Plus, they are your property once bought, unlike downloads (iTunes at least)

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
It's my favourite physical format for sound quality. I lose count of how many new and used CD's I buy from Amazon and eBay. My CD Player sees regular use and I've owned the same one since 1999.

I also still use a CD Recorder in my system for vinyl rips and streaming rips as well as an iPod DAC.

The CD has not been beaten by anything else apart from SACD, which is largely overpriced and limited in available titles.

Downloading is convenient, but that's about it. I like to own the physical object. I do rip to my iPod for long varied playlists, but I'll never abandon the CD.

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Yes but sometimes the cds never actually get played, just ripped via dbpoweramp in flac and then streamed. I do have an old Linn Classik in the bedroom where I will sometimes play new ones a couple of times when I am getting to know them, but they generally end up stored away in a big box. I like the idea that I could re rip them though in case of major software disasters so am reluctant to sell them on or give them away. Lots of cds to be had at good prices online but don't forget the olde worlde record shop, you can still get some good deals on the high street especially if you live in a city like Bristol where we have Rise, Fopp, HMV etc not to mention the ubiquitous charity shops and car boots.

Still buying and indeed playing. Always ripped to FLAC for my mobile player that I take to work (I'm away from home for weeks sometimes).

On top of buying vinyl , the odd SACD and even odder blu-ray audio the cheap CD still makes a lot of sense in my view. The sale of CDs may be declining due to the increase in streaming / downloads but I don't think it's going to drop dead tomorrow.

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I still buy CDs too... I love buying vinyl but it is just so expensive, although sometimes (not often enough) mitigated by inclusion of download codes. This month I bought Royal Bloods album. Wanted vinyl - £18 in my local independent, with no download codes. Went to HMV and bought the cd for £5.

If I knew I would always get download codes with a vinyl version, that's the way I'd go, but until then, for purely financial reasons, CD is still around 80% of the music I buy.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I have bought more CDs since having a Sonos ZP90 than ever before. Some of the albums I like I can't get on vinyl as they're pretty obscure, or if they do exist, they're megabucks. I also tend to like to use the music I like to demonstrate equipment, so I'll add it to our server in the store, where I can always share new music with regulars too. It also means I can add it to my iPod. As there's no inherent value to a CD nowadays, I do tend to buy used for a few pence or a few quid, as has been mentioned already. Although again, with some of the more obscure stuff, some I still have to pay £10-25 for.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Definitely... used and new CDS are at very good prices. I am using streaming services a lot more to discover and rediscover music and then end up buying the CD for artists or albums I like. They all get ripped and stored almost immediately. As a means to buy digital music it's still the best option for me as it is far cheaper than downloading and I get to own and keep what I paid for.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
When I first bought the Sonos connect found it so good thought I might actually buy less CD's... wrong! buying just as many, if not more.

Usually via Amazon market place, but occasionally I find myself having to buy via Bandcamp which is a bit expensive.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

www.mintfm.net

LDTM

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Love buying CDs. Mostly through Amazon JP, probably about 60/40 ratio of used to new. Physical stores occasionally - there's a guy around the corner who's pretty good.

Although I also copy everything to my computer and old-school iPod I really enjoy glancing over at the wall, looking at all the spines and thinking to myself, 'what to put on now...'

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I also love the way most CD's nowadays come in a old vynal style sleeve instead of those horrible plastic cases.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

www.mintfm.net

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I buy mostly CDs, usually 2nd hand from Amazon or eBay. Some real bargains out there.

I rip, them sell them on again.

Buying a bit of vinyl too.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I mainly use CD's for music.

Not bought many recently though.

Last one was a compilation I bought in December 2014, While my Guitar Gently Weeps.

A few good songs but I'm sure someone ruined many buy remastering poorly.

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I love my CDs and since the hi-fi upgrade have been working our way through from A-Z. Currently on N. I have Neurosis "Honor Found In Decay" on at the moment.

Can't wait to get to Sepultura and throw in Chaos A.D. or any Slayer for that matter.

I've managed to buy a few CDs in the last couple of years. Money has been so tight. Hope I can get back to my old ways of getting nearly every new album that comes out.

Been adding mine and my wifes CD collection onto Discogs too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts