Stevie Ray Vaughan - LP or remastered CD

Greenwich_Man

Sep 6, 2008
Visit site
OK - I know there are a lot of different opinions here - so I will make my question quite specific...

I'm looking at getting some music by - STEVIE RAY VAUGHAN

If you are a fan can you suggest if I should buy

an original LP from e-bay?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350229141173&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

A modern LP from HMV?
http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;-1;-1;-1;-1&sku=415465

Or a remastered CD from HMV?
http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;-1;-1;-1;-1&sku=796162

You can see from my list below what kit I'll be playing it on - since upgrading the cartridge I've been very impressed with the Ortofon OM 10 on the Project deck - and for me it sounds better than the NAD CD player

But what do you folks think?

Thanks for your input.

T

the record spot

I'd go to the Steve Hoffman forum and either use the search engine for the best sounding SRV, or jump in and ask the same question. Excellent resource. Don't be surprised if they say something like the Japanese Black Triangle release or the like...see what the best regularly available release is that fits your budget.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Ok i hold my hands up,totaly biased opinion. S.R.V. Couldn't stand the weather.From, Pure Pleasure records. 180gm vinyl Epic PPAN 39304. On my system / set up,surface noise next to nowt. Sound quality,stunning. Huge silly grin recording, brilliant.
emotion-21.gif

Greenwich_Man

Sep 6, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Record spot... I'll look at that

floyd droid:Ok i hold my hands up,totaly biased opinion. S.R.V. Couldn't stand the weather.From, Pure Pleasure records. 180gm vinyl Epic PPAN 39304. On my system / set up,surface noise next to nowt. Sound quality,stunning. Huge silly grin recording, brilliant.
emotion-21.gif

Thanks floyd droid - I took a look at Pure Pleasure and the price including postage would come to about £35 - and the price from HMV would be £6

As I'm spending my birthday money I'm wondering if I should spend a big chunk on the Pure Pleasure pressing and continue to take my vinyl to Sister Rays to be cleaned for £1 each. Or... Buy a Knosti to clean my vinyl and get the £6 option

What do you fink?

Greenwich_Man

Sep 6, 2008
Visit site
Well thanks to all of you...

I was up in London today, and I called in at HMV and found out that SRV Couldn't stand the weather LP is only available online.
AND I was told that they are loosing £12.50 on each LP as they pay £18.50 to the supplier for it!

Well never one to miss a bargain (I am a Yorkshire man) I've just ordered it online.

By the way have any of you preordered any of the Beatles remasters? I've preordered "With the Beatles" (it was the 1st LP I ever bought); and "Abbey Road" as it's my favorite Beatles album.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Dont forget to order your knosti so you can clean the mould release and assorted bits of crud off it before it hits your deck. Then sit back and enjoy with this thought in your mind. The day floyd droid buys a bloody beatles album, will never happen.

T

the record spot

I might get that 3CD boxset I mentioned; £6.99 & free delivery from Play. Hmmm...!

Greenwich_Man

Sep 6, 2008
Visit site
floyd droid:Dont forget to order your knosti so you can clean the mould release and assorted bits of crud off it before it hits your deck. Then sit back and enjoy with this thought in your mind. The day floyd droid buys a bloody beatles album, will never happen.

Thanks floyd - you made me laugh
emotion-2.gif