Stereo? Who needs it: I think The Beatles sound better in mono

JennaChaplin

Dec 13, 2020
Visit site
I definitely agree. Some old 'stereo' recordings are just plain awful with instruments 'locked' to one channel or another. You're lucky if the bass and/or drums are exactly in the middle.

Quadrophonic.4Ever

Feb 22, 2024
Visit site

JennaChaplin

• I definitely agree. Some old 'stereo' recordings are just plain awful with instruments 'locked' to one channel or another. You're lucky if the bass and/or drums are exactly in the middle.
Re quoted content, that didn't jump across as I had hoped?
My reply, to JennaChaplin

They are stereo only in one sense, and that is this, those early "so called" stereo recordings were made on 2 track tape and "pressed" onto two sides of the V needle track, on a vinyl record, so that the resultant mono, if a mono player - or two channels of a stereo player, can be "sent" into the amplifier either as a single mono, or into a stereo amp, with two channels thereafter the amplified sound, goes out either one mono, or two stereo terminals. where those are DELIBERATELY crossed across each other, as a mono output, to run either a single mono output to a single speaker, or if two channel outputs, both dual channel wires, get exactly the same summated mono feed, to power either one or more speakers at a remote location, so long as the final impedance of that "greater than two" speaker circuit is managed at a "feedback 8 ohms" to the amps dual outputs, as 4ohms to each.

Hence anyone can then further passively split these with signal separators, using coils of wire and capacitors, thus tweeters and mids and bass, and finally a subwoofer (1) was put somewhere up front, as if that's where the lion roars? Each and every time, to the left of a larger than needed tv screen.

Thankfully, studio technicians finally learnt, to place more and more music, on both channels, by "panning" mono sounds, all the way, slowly, from one channel - say in from the extreme left channel through the middle mono center channel, then out past the right - to give an impression of a moving thng, such as a train in a movie moves across the screen

Some people eventually sent "by accident or design", a signal that had a floating earth, being sent directly to the right channel from the left - or back the other way, without needing a central earthing / bonded point, thereby allowing one speaker at the back, or two speakers to be placed at the rear corners, such that these "opposed" each other, and thus were muted a little which was good eh? as they sat either side of the rearward lounge seat eh?
(as putting them on the same phase - meant a single sound in the middle rear, and no one wanted that eh?)
Then recording artists went wild, making all different records, some good some trashed, as everyone came to terns with dual but different side channels, not just a centre front and rear the same?

PLAYING PLEASE PLEASE, THE OLDER VERSONS, ACROSS A MODERN STEREO SOUNDS RUBBSH - I AGREE
Oops accidentally little fingered that useless caps button again,
Playing the earliest please please releases, when I got a copy, sounded magnificent, because I played them my way, on a three phased output, off the back of any older style "non-bridged" valve or early electronic amp, meaning that I 3phased the two channel output, into a FULL CHANNEL, all the uppers, mids, lows and bass, along with subwoofers, THREE DISTINCTLY DIFFERENT channels, from a two channel stereo anything, from a single player?????

Yet I played to have the BEATLES play in concert at my place, a cow-byre's cream separator room, and several paddock fences around it, where I strung along a heap of ad-hoc speakers from old house stereograms through to salvaged radios and tv's as well as a few newer car stereo speakers, all doing their thing via passive crossover filters I made from the variety of salvaged sources at the dump, as - back then until well after I started working for wages, in the 1970's onwards, I could only buy what I could afford, sortof one at a time thing, until in the late 1999's early 2,000's when I started my own business, could I ever afford multiple speakers in one purchase, to install those systems as I went through my working life/

And now at 70+, I am finally telling people that hifi, to me, means absolutely nothing, (oh for sure, better quality equipment, more inputs, more whizzbangs for your buck, such as MONO Bluetooth, (or an inferior stereo version) as well as anything that shines or attracts people - as soon you can make a coffee out of them too I'll bet?
Yet to me, none of it is HIGH FIDELITY, as it is all bog standard two channel Stereo
With a vastly boosted low frequency (summated MONO) center channel, as well as the upper ranges from that same channel, as TWEETERS?

That isn't Hi Fi, neither is the delay timing, of the 5 point 1?
Or anything point one?
One subwoofer, for all the other DIFFERENT channels?
You are joking I hope, but no, 1 sub instead of 1 sub on all channels.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts