Stereo Imaging/Soundstage

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I want to ask for some advise.

I've been trying to get the balance correct through my 2.1 set up. (via AVR)

Is it correct that to achieve this you need to get vocals sounding exactly from the centre.

Is this always the case, because I adjust everything to achieve this listening to a certain track/artist. Then another track/artist may sound slightly off to the left or right.

I'd rather not get too much into the habit of re-adjusting settings each time a new song plays. So can anyone recommend me a (reference) track that is known to have the vocals at dead centre so that I can calibrate to that.

Thanks.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Vocals aren't always positioned dead centre in the mix, so it's quite usual for them to move a bit off-centre from disc to disc, or even track to track.

The best indicators are that the soundstage sounds realistic - ie voices and instruments are positioned in a credible fashion -, that the sound doesn't seem constrained by, or coming from, the speakers, but spreads between and beyond them, and that the soundstage 'picture' has both front to back depth as well as width.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for explaining this for me Andrew. Appreciated
emotion-2.gif

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
Luke Kenobi:

So can anyone recommend me a (reference) track that is known to have the vocals at dead centre so that I can calibrate to that.

Thanks.

Andrews advice does not need much addition, you can look here also some good advice http://whathifi.com/Video/Get-the-best-from-your-hi-fi/Vidcasts/Page2/

If you really want to check a track that has a center vocal Do you have Nora Jones Come Away with Me - The first track Dont Know Why is about as central as you will get.

A

Anonymous

I dont know if i understand the word good, sound stage.

You mean a wide virtual podium where all happens.

It begins with your cd player, or D/A converter.

They must produce that wide stereo image, and some want do that.

There are many ways to encode digital, some do it right some bad.

The DACMAGIC from Cambridge has NO ! sound stage for example.

I know for sure that the old Mission DAC5 has a good sound stage and also the CI VDA2 ( channel islands)

The CI VDA2 is even better than the mission for only 700 euro, the dacmagic is 600 euro and also for that mony your sound is distroyed.

Your amp must produce this soundstage to, and Cyrus will do that job for sure.

Be-wire, with the filter components behind the amp added also soundstage for me.

All quality will ad more detail and also sound stage, especial good loudspeakers, they are the key.

To fill speaker stands with sand is good, but will do almost nothing.

In that way you can check you hole room too for objects that will resonate with sounds, the back of a cheap bookshelf for example.

A

Anonymous

I have here a cheap modern denon amp and it has no soundstage at all.

I have also a rubbish 60 euro amp from no brand, and that has the soundstage.

That one has the same direct sound as a cyrus amp, but with more distorsion.

I wished i hears all amps, and speakers, its a jungle of stories and brands.

A

Anonymous

pwiles1968:Luke Kenobi:

So can anyone recommend me a (reference) track that is known to have the vocals at dead centre so that I can calibrate to that.

Thanks.

Andrews advice does not need much addition, you can look here also some good advice http://whathifi.com/Video/Get-the-best-from-your-hi-fi/Vidcasts/Page2/

If you really want to check a track that has a center vocal Do you have Nora Jones Come Away with Me - The first track Dont Know Why is about as central as you will get.

The Norah Jones track was just what I was looking for. Clear and precise vocals to adjust my balance to. Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts