Stereo Amp with AV Amp - Power

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hello,

Having some trouble with my AV amp front left channel at the moment and have used the pre-outs to put the front two channels through my stereo amp. It sounds fine. Depending on price of fix might even use this configuration going forward.

However, the AV amp is 100W per channel, which is average for an av amp, and the stereo amp only 30. I'm thinking if I turned the AV amp right up it would be asking the stereo amp to output 100W per channel, which it can't do, but I never crank it anywhere near the top, and it's seemed OK so far.

Looking at it as a possible longer term solution, to play it safe power-wise and give my av amp full range, I'd need a 100w per channel stereo amp. Stereo amps with 100w per channel seem to cost at least £1000, with those up to about £600 - 700 being 30 - 40w. But I'm sure not everyone who uses such a setup pays that much for their stereo amp?

So I'm wondering am I understanding the power needs of a stereo amp in this configuration wrongly? Any advice would be much appreciated.

nuzikdude

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
hi bud i too use pre outs and have done for years.

For some reason stereo wattage is not the same as that of an AV Amp, not sure why they dont go in unison but they never have in my experience.

You will not blow the amp doing what you are doing at all.

But it never hurts going for something a little better and more detailed in the stereo field.

nuzikdude

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
oh and if you go on ebay there are some cracking Stereo amps on offer at the moment, some myryads going for under £750 and they were £1700 initially so i believe

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Thanks, I'll have a look.

I wonder if the power is measured differently? I'll have a read of the specs.

Ideally I'd like to get the amp fixed, but if it's going to cost hundreds I'd maybe just rather get a stereo amp, or just use the one I have.

nuzikdude

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
what amp is it? and what are you trying to achieive? whats your goal? do you prefer on a sunday to sit down and listen to a cd or a film?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170524802462&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT#ht_500wt_1154

something like that should sort you out for a good 5 or 6 years

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi.. It would be nice if you could mention the brands / models of the AV Amps you are talking about..

But without any background, if your AV Amp is capable of Auto Calibration, pair it with some thing like Marantz PM 7003 (around 300 pounds used or discounted possibly) in a Power Amp Mode (This mode bypasses all the integrated amp controls). 7003 is rated at 70WPC but is much louder than my Denon AVR 2310 which is rated higher that 100WPC. Make sure that you go for the integrated amps with Stero Bypass or Power Amp mode for much easier integration.

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hello,

Thanks for the replies.

It's just a general question as I don't understand the power rating discrepancies and how to make sure a stereo amp used in this way can supply the same power as the av amp.

However, the av amp is a Marantz SR6001, stereo amp Marantz SR4200. I'm probably as interested in music and films, though maybe film edges it.

I've got Tannoy Arena speakers, and still use the AV amp for bass management and to drive the sub, with the stereo amp just amplifying the front left and right channels. The stereo amp has a tone defeat button.

I'm not trying to achieve a different sound or anything really, though I'm as happy with the sound now, using the stereo and av amp, for both music and films as I was with just the av amp, (the stereo amp was previously currently unused). It's just a possible option if the cost of repairing the av amp's faulty front left channel is high.

TRENDING THREADS