Step back . . .

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
As a sequal to 'Revived' . . . the final question being upgrade the cartridge?

Much thought, web serching and discusion with Hazel, we have decided to take a 'step back'. The systen is working so well, very balanced, we have much more than many as has been pointed out and a fundimental fact is, I dont want to start the upgrade merry-go-round again, I'm out of it and want to stay that way. One had got as far as finding a 'black' at the right price! Its not that I cant aford it, I just dont want to get into that mess of a whillpool I was very close to disapering in to.

Gliders are my passion that I can concentrate on 'improvement by practice not throwing money at a problem'.

Another issue is an old interest in photoraphy, how technology has changed. So sitting in the middle of a heap of camera bits, clear them out. 'One' new camera, no asperations of a Sir 'David Baily', just something light, that I can use without to much effort, my semi profesional days are long gone the way of 35mm film. Also means I can set up a tripod (camera suport) on Hazels wheel chair, she used to take a mean picture in her better days.

CJSF

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Until you've invested in a Purple Tagliatelle self-reciprocating flange-wobbler, you can't claim to have got anyhere near the best out of your system...

Glad you're in such a happy place with it. Keep enjoying some top-quality music, the gliding - and, of course, each other.

I love photography as well. Want to get myself a digital SLR, and also resurrect my old Canon (got some fabby lenses for that) and get into developing (think I can make my bathroom dark enough). Like you I'm interested in the technology of it, and learning the craft from start to finish. As soon as I'm well enough to get out more regularly, I'll get back into the photography.

CJSF said:

Much thought, web serching and discusion with Hazel, we have decided to take a 'step back'. The systen is working so well, very balanced, we have much more than many as has been pointed out and a fundimental fact is, I dont want to start the upgrade merry-go-round again, I'm out of it and want to stay that way. One had got as far as finding a 'black' at the right price! Its not that I cant aford it, I just dont want to get into that mess of a whillpool I was very close to disapering in to.

Gliders are my passion that I can concentrate on 'improvement by practice not throwing money at a problem'.

Another issue is an old interest in photoraphy, how technology has changed. So sitting in the middle of a heap of camera bits, clear them out. 'One' new camera, no asperations of a Sir 'David Baily', just something light, that I can use without to much effort, my semi profesional days are long gone the way of 35mm film. Also means I can set up a tripod (camera suport) on Hazels wheel chair, she used to take a mean picture in her better days.

CJSF

This all riddles to me. I am into glider to. The Benz Micro type. What is this 'black' you talk of? Photography gets you out of the house and Hi-Fi keeps you in. Am I missing something?

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Al ears said:
CJSF said:

CJSF

This all riddles to me. I am into glider to. The Benz Micro type. What is this 'black' you talk of? Photography gets you out of the house and Hi-Fi keeps you in. Am I missing something?

Sorry to confuse you Alears, black, 'Koetsu Black', glider, I am a model glider pilot, I design, build and fly open competition 4 meter high performance radio controled gliders, photography, I am out of the house with the gliders, I used to write about and photograph model aircraft for the media in a previous life as well as having an association with the fishing and boating media which also developed my interest in photography.

So as something completly different but for me a link to my previous life, I made a living out of hifi, model aircraft, boats, fishing and photography. I supose I am shuffling things around to achive a balance without upsetting what I feel is a comfortable position in my twilight years?

At the end of the day, I get pleasure from the achivements by practise rather than throwing money at a 'problem that is in my mind', so developing my competative gliding skills and having a light, simple, digital camera with me seems like a good idea? Its also a good idea for Hazel, she used to enjoy her photography when she could walk, so I will make a camera suport fixed to her wheel chair for when we go out. I supose its getting everything sorted, one thing leads to another day by day, the tapastry of life according to circustances of the time.

We are retitired, have nothing special to do these days, especialy as we are not very mobile, so sorting interests out is the way to go. One had so much planed for reirement, now retired, we are not well enough to act on the plans . . . ?

Sorry Alears, I hope that is not sounding like wow is me . . . far from it, finaly getting things in order is a pleasure, 'we have a plan B' . . . *smile*

CJSF

No, see your point exactly . If you can afford the black then go for it. For me that would realistically be the end of the line. Value for money wise, and I 've never heard one

You get to a point we that is it, certainly at my age, where onward progression ifs pointless.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Al ears said:
No, see your point exactly . If you can afford the black then go for it. For me that would realistically be the end of the line. Value for money wise, and I 've never heard one

You get to a point we that is it, certainly at my age, where onward progression ifs pointless.

It strange Alears how things pan out when one simply 'steps back', listens and watches . . . I of course refer to the new topic; 'Coincidence, what if'. I had no idea that was going to hapen, life can be very strange some times. I'm looking forward to my days flying on Sunday, coming home and watching F1 in Mexico on TV. Probably buying a new camera next week and all the pleasure that will give in the coming year(s). In amoungst all that, listening to my new found 'old sound', probably do a little tweaking hear and there if it does not cost anything and if it does not work, back to the previous settings, a very satisfying place to be in, I am in control.

CJSF

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Cliff - see where your coming from think I'm at the end of the line now unless I win the lottery but the allure of a MC does entice me though but would know where to start but something from Lyra/Benz/Koetsu stable !

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Cliff - see where your coming from think I'm at the end of the line now unless I win the lottery but the allure of a MC does entice me though but would know where to start but something from Lyra/Benz/Koetsu stable !

I have been using MC since the early 80's, I think you are right about stable choice, however something I learned very early on is that a passive step up transformer has a majour influence on the final presentation IMHO. Two schools of thought, seems to me all that I have read about MC phone amps always have a 'but' type caviat? Never found this with transformers, you get what you pay for, there is a 'but' with transformers, good ones are expensive. I used to have an 'EAR MC Head Transformer', top quality, these days I have a 'Carver MC transformer', picked it up SH for a coupl of hundred quid, matches up very well against 'the Head'. A personal opinion this is . . . you must investigat it for yourself.

CJSF

PS, the Maiden glider flight went well today, sadly I was restricted to just one flight, the fog came down, it got cold and damp. So, home early now, warm up and listen to some 'old sound presentation' vinyle, Look forward to the F1 racing late tonight on TV. *ok*

Sorry to hear about aborted flights. You have had two lovely bits of kit there and you are correct in the word 'expensive'.

I too have been using low output mc's for as long as I can remember, just love them but not the prices involved. If you are going to use one then consideration must be given to spending a similar amount on a good step-up or preamp.

I am fortunate enough to live not far from Tom Evans Audio Design and managed to find one of his 'Groove' phono preamp for a very reasonable price. Problem is he keeps finding ways to 'improve' it, not that it really needed improving. :)

Problem is that they work......... damn him!

Still, a good cartridge deserves a decent pick up. This is why I never suggest mc's to anyone who's a bit cash-strapped.

Chris Munden

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
Hi CJSF, I also fly model gliders, not as often these days, mostly scale, although I'm at the small end of the hobby, 3-m being about as big as I want to go, I'm a big fan of vintage gliders and have a glider pilots licence, although it has lapsed now, I'm also a member of the vintage glider (full size) club.

PM me if you fancy further chat,

Chris M

Chris Munden

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
O well, sorry, I should have checked, unlike most other forums I have been on which you can send PM.s this one does not have that facility.

Chris

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts