Stax Or AKG

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

It's been a while sice I posted a thread on this site.

For over 2 years now I have been using Bose Around Ear Headphones. These Headphones has always kept a smile on my face with it's nice warm sound. I know these Headphones may lack in detail, but they are good alrounders. To be honest, I prefer the Bose over the Grado SRS-125. I know some of you might kill me for saying that LOL!!

Now I'm thinking of saving up for a Headphone upgrade. I do like nice clean fast Midrange, So that's why I'm thinking about Stax. Some people say they can go a bit deep in bass, considering they are electrostatic headphones. And the other think about is the AKG Headphones.

If there is any Stax or AKG owner on this site, please pop in and tell me about their sound.

Thanks

Shane

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We've just reviewed the AKG K701 (list price £350) in our current, January issue (out today!) - a lot to like there, though they do tend to major more on detail than energy. Definitely worth a listen....

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:We've just reviewed the AKG K701 (list price £350) in our current, January issue (out today!) - a lot to like there, though they do tend to major more on detail than energy. Definitely worth a listen....

Hi, Thanks for your reply.

Well, My father just bought a pair of AKG K701 the other day. Which I forgot to mention on my thread. I will have a go on them and see what I think.

We have read reviews saying they need a long break in time for it to sound properly.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
I think the AKGs are exceptionally good.... But like any good pair of headphones, you'll want to audition them to ensure that they are the right sound for you... Also, they will sound their best when combined with an appropriate headphone amp.... System synergy is often key...

They sound OK straight out of the box, but you really need to give them a lot of hours to burn in before casting final judgement.

So far, I'm really enjoying my AKG K701/Benchmark DAC1 Combo... Even thought the AKGs are still not fully burned in & theoretically, this should be a more detailed and exact combo than a 'musical' one...

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
I had the entry level Stax headset (plus energiser box) a few years ago. I now regret selling it on eBay as I hadn't been listening to music for a while, and wanted to raise money for another hobby.

It was amazing! I read an article years ago saying that you do not know how good electrostatic headsets sound until you try one.

The clarity and transparency is startling - you really feel you are listening to the other components without any interference from the headset. Even the best non-electrostatic headphones sound at least slightly boxy in comparison. And they will blow Bose away.

If I were spending a few hundred pounds again on headphones, it would be Stax for me!

A

Anonymous

ElectroMan:
I had the entry level Stax headset (plus energiser box) a few years ago. I now regret selling it on eBay as I hadn't been listening to music for a while, and wanted to raise money for another hobby.

It was amazing! I read an article years ago saying that you do not know how good electrostatic headsets sound until you try one.

The clarity and transparency is startling - you really feel you are listening to the other components without any interference from the headset. Even the best non-electrostatic headphones sound at least slightly boxy in comparison. And they will blow Bose away.

If I were spending a few hundred pounds again on headphones, it would be Stax for me!

Sorry for my slow silly reply.

Oh dear, I wonder what that other hobby was, LOL!!

What type os music did you play with the stax??

Stormboy

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Hi

I have the Stax Signature system (SR-404 earspeakers and SRM-006tII valve headphone amplifier). I have connected it to a Logitech Transporter music server client with balanced XLR cables. The sound quality is just outstanding. The music is fast and dynamic and the base response is surprisingly good, given they are electrostatic headphones. I can highly recomment them.

Stormboy

A

Anonymous

i've only herd AKG and they whereÿreallyÿgood but give aÿthoughtÿto audio-technica such as ATH-AD700 and remember that headphones need to be burned inÿ

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
Linn is the best:Oh dear, I wonder what that other hobby was, LOL!!

What type os music did you play with the stax??

Photography!

I mainly listen to classical and rock. The likes of Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd sounded stunning.

A

Anonymous

To you all, Thanks for your replys over the last couple of days.

I will all let you know on what I think about the AKG K701. My Dad has only had these cans for 2 days now. They have a lot of braking in to do.

A

Anonymous

I like those things that are shaped like heads that put your headphones on.

What are they called, I would like to get one, one day. And plus I don't know where you can buy them.

A

Anonymous

Linn is the best:I like those things that are shaped like heads that put your headphones on.

What are they called, I would like to get one, one day. And plus I don't know where you can buy them.

Here's one. Or maybe something a little more attractive?

A

Anonymous

Octopo:
Linn is the best:I like those things that are shaped like heads that put your headphones on.

Here's one. Or maybe something a little more attractive?

lol!!!!!

A

Anonymous

Sorry that link didn't work because of the build of the website, just search headphone stand on Stoneaudio.

A

Anonymous

I tried my Dad's AKG K701 Headphones.

I really liked how they sound, and they sound a million miles better then my Bose Around Ear Headphones.

My Dad has only had these AKG's for 3 days now, we know they need a lot of playing to brake in. I can't wait to see how they will sound after there brake in!!

And soon, I want to find a dealer and Demo a pair of Stax Earspeakers.

A

Anonymous

I'm planning to buy a pair after Christmas. I've heard the difference between a new pair and a pair with a couple of months listening, though they really appreciate well produced music!

A

Anonymous

Octopo:I'm planning to buy a pair after Christmas. I've heard the difference between a new pair and a pair with a couple of months listening, though they really appreciate well produced music!

What?

Stax or AKG?

Stormboy

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Hi

Run in is also important for the Stax earspeakers too. I found that they were a little brittle when I first got them out of the box but they have certainly improved with a couple of hundred hours of use.

Stormboy

A

Anonymous

Stormboy:
Hi

Run in is also important for the Stax earspeakers too. I found that they were a little brittle when I first got them out of the box but they have certainly improved with a couple of hundred hours of use.

Stormboy

I agree,

My Dad's AKG has not broken in yet and they do sound a little bright. Just like what you said about the Stax. Same thing really!!

Shane.

A

Anonymous

The AKG K701 are really starting to sound much better, these headphones are really nice. Looks like I might end up nicking them from my Dad quite alot. lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How may hours exactly do these headphones need to burn in?

All togeather they have had about 10 hours of use.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
Linn is the best:The AKG K701 are really starting to sound much better, these headphones are really nice. Looks like I might end up nicking them from my Dad quite alot. lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Supposed to be 300... I've used mine for less than 70 and am loving them...

A

Anonymous

Ajani:
Linn is the best:The AKG K701 are really starting to sound much better, these headphones are really nice. Looks like I might end up nicking them from my Dad quite alot. lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Supposed to be 300... I've used mine for less than 70 and am loving them...

Thanks for that.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts