Starting a new home cinema system with my old floorstanders

Pete68

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I am putting my HiFi in the kitchen as this is where I spend most of my time, I have an Arcam Alpha 9 system (pre/power combo and CD) and will be adding some bookshelf speakers to replace the Acoustic Energy AE 120 floorstanders.

I would like to use these floorstanders as a part of a home cinema set up as they are in great condition, sound great and have very little resale value. I am looking at the Sony STR-DH820 reciever as from the reviews it looks to be a good 'budget' reciever and I already have as a Sony TV and Blue Ray player, so the whole system should play well together (correct me if I'm wrong on this point).

So, whats next?

Can I assume that by utilising the AE120's I won't need a sub as they have the capacity to produce plenty of bass?

Is the best way forward to purchase some kind of centre speaker giving me a stereo image with something in the middle.

I will work out rear satellites at a later date but for now I just want to get started and make some first improvements.

Any help or advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Pete

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
If its all Sony then it will intergrate beautifully (I had 3 Sony products originally and it blends in so well as a package).

Cant help on the centre front but would recommend you get an AE centre to give your speaker set up the best balance acoustically - rears are not so fussy.

I also do not use a sub and my 5 speaker system sounds great - I have PMC floorstanders which have plenty of bass for me (one day I will add a sub but money is too tight at mo). Obviously a sub would make it all sound better but it still sounds excellent imo.

Dont skimp on cables either - you dont have to spend massive amounts - these should do the trick.

http://www.whathifi.com/review/audioquest-flx-slip-144

Hope thats of some help, I am sure others will give better advice but this is a start.

Your choice of av amp is a great starting point so you will be very happy.

Pete68

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks a lot for your reply, good to hear that the Sony products will all play well together. Will have a look at an AE centre speaker, seems the logical choice as I already have AE speakers. Thanks for the cable recommendation, nice price too.

beer.png

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts