Stanton 500 Gold - stylus advice please

JulesBadass

Nov 9, 2007
Visit site
I have a stanton 500 gold cartridge (500 AL i belieeve) identical to this one: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=278245

i want to replace the stylus, but am massively confused about my options. As far as I can tell, there are two conical items which are intended specifically for it, but I understand that there are elliptical ones which will work well with it, even thought they weren't necessarily intended for th AL cartridge.

I'd prefer not to get a dubious quality dirt cheap generic replacement.

What are the trade offs between conical and elliptical?

Any suggestions greatly received.

Hi again JulesBadass though I cannot answer specifically as you have already read Stanton / Pickering where in a partnership so styli from one will probably fit the other.

There is no 'trade-off' as such between conical / elliptical Conical are, of course cheaper to produce, and as such usually occur on the cheaper models from any manufacturer. They are also better for playing back mono vinyl.

If you can find an elliptical to fit then it would be a better purchase if most of your LPs are likely to be modern stereo ones.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Why not send Garage 'a Record a quick mail ...

http://www.garage-a-records.com/products.php?cat=57

My guess would be its the D71EE (Eliptical) which tracks somewhere between .75 to 1.5 or thereabouts. This would also roughly fall in line with the arm on your TT.

I've seen they also do a nice high compliance hyper elliptical which may or may not fit.

As to cheap generic replacements, all are not created equal but many these days are non-originals. I bought a lovely .2 for my Ortofon (the original is still great but I wanted something to play with as I can be a little ham fisted and I have to say it is almost indistinguishable. I doubt many would hear a difference in a blind comparison. Made by Pfanstiehl.

As to stylus cut, I am not sure. The finer cut needles, Micro Line, Gyger, HyperE, Shibata are said to more resemble the cutting head and therefore ride deeper and closer to the groove floor/walls. This will in theory give better high frequency replay/detail. Much, I guess, depends on the Records condition. These more expensive stilii are also more sensitive to precise set-up.

We all know more detail doesn't always make a more musical sound so only you can decide if it is worth the outlay. - Personally I would like to try one of those finer needles and may just do that, you may feel different. I'd probably just try a more inexpensive elliptical if I was you. It will give you an idea to the tonality of your cartridge/arm combination.

Other cartridges which have a 'musical' reputation (basically mid-bass lift and frequency extremes roll-off :) ) are Nagakoa's. Big following. I've seen some measurements which look ... not so good but I haven't heard one personally.

Good luck

regards

JulesBadass

Nov 9, 2007
Visit site
Thanks again both, learning a lot from you guys this week!

Assuming that appearance means the same model, my stylis looks identical to this one, right down to the gold rectangle detail:

http://www.garage-a-records.com/proddetail.php?prod=4820dee

Looks like a reasonable choice based on spec and price, although tracks a little heavier than you're implying might be suitable for the PL12d?

As you suggest, i'll drop them a line for some advice.

Many thanks again.

JulesBadass

Nov 9, 2007
Visit site
Just reset the cart in the head shell using the in-build overhang checker and used my new jewlers scales to set the weight - got it somewhere near I think and it's sounding great. A bit of treble distortion on the inner tracks, so it's not 100%.... but as mentioned before, i've no idea how much use/abuse the stylus has had.

However, the exercise has helped make my mind up as to which way to go - new stanton stylus or new cart altogether; the 2 cart mounting screws won't *** up very tight at all, the threads in the cart have been sripped it seems. Its firm enough to play, but an accidental knock would move the cart.

A good excuse for the Shure M97 I reckon :)

TRENDING THREADS