Stands and Brackets for the B&W 685 theatre package

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am looking to buy the B&W 685 theatre speaker package and am wondering what stands/brackets to use? The guy in Seven Oaks recommended the Atacama Nexus stands?

Does anyone know what the stands are in the B&W promotional material?

For the rear speakers I am going to have to wall mount them as my sofa is up against the rear wall. Can anyone recommend any good speaker brackets to use?

Thanks

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
B&W 686s come with there own brackets either key hole or ball joint, go on ther website and download the 685/6 speakers manual and it tells you everything. I tried to link from here but my computer skills are not good enough.

Presuming your using 686s as rear speakers.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
My 685s work fine on the Nexus 6 stands, though I'd recommend filling them at least 3/4s full with atabites - certainly improved performance for me.
I know Clare Newsome of WHF recommends the Partington Super Dreadnoughts with the 685s if you can afford them though.

A

Anonymous

Lost Angeles:

B&W 686s come with there own brackets either key hole or ball joint, go on ther website and download the 685/6 speakers manual and it tells you everything. I tried to link from here but my computer skills are not good enough.

Thanks - thats good to know they come with brackets :) - I will have a look for the manual. Yes - the 686's will be the rears.

A

Anonymous

professorhat:My 685s work fine on the Nexus 6 stands, though I'd recommend filling them at least 3/4s full with atabites - certainly improved performance for me.

I know Clare Newsome of WHF recommends the Partington Super Dreadnoughts with the 685s if you can afford them though.

Thanks - I am tempted by the partingtons - not sure whether its worth spending double the price though... mmm

How many kg of atabites do you need to fill the Nexus 6 stands?

Thanks for your help :)

A

Anonymous

The stands in the B&W promotional material are the B&W FS-700/CM stands and retail for around £195 and would be the best ones to use as they have larger top plates to support the (rather deep) 685/686 much better than something like the Soundstyle or Partingtons would. They also have a cable management built into them and are fillable for extra density.

The best looking stands too in my opinion!

A

Anonymous

Soundstyle Z2 have a good size top plate and can be found around £50 as they are replaced with a revised version. These are better than Atacama nexus. Though I have nexus 7 (extra height for Missions). Custom Design S300 are potentially even better but you may find the smaller top plate less suitable.

beater

Apr 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi professorhat, I have the Nexus 6 stands with my kef iQ1's on them as rears, is it worth filling these or is it more importent when useing for front speakers.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Difficult to say, I would think it would definitely have an impact on the sound, but given this is for rear effects, it's hard to say if this would be noticeable like it is for the fronts. I would say if you can get hold of some kiln-dried sand or something on the cheap, it might be worth an experiment, but if you're happy with how it sounds at the moment, it's not going to make that much difference I don't think.

A

Anonymous

Lost Angeles:

They didn't come with any brackets - they just have a key hole plate mounted on the back of the speaker. It says in the instructions the speakers can either be used with the key hole mount or by employing ball-joint style brackets. I think I'm going to go for the latter as they should allow the speakers to be angeled with respect to the wall. I'm not too sure where to get these from though?

I have the Nexus 6 for the front speakers - Is it better to place the speakers directly onto the stands or use the adhesive pads between the bottom of the speaker and the stand?

Thanks

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
On the second part, just use four blobs of blu-tack under each corner of the speaker. Seriously - it works a treat, one of my speakers is by the door to the living room and has been knocked a few times and the blu-tack holds them fast on the stands.

A

Anonymous

professorhat:
On the second part, just use four blobs of blu-tack under each corner of the speaker. Seriously - it works a treat, one of my speakers is by the door to the living room and has been knocked a few times and the blu-tack holds them fast on the stands.

Thanks for the tip - will give it a go.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
blu-tak is a great cheapy upgrade. I have the soundstyle z2 for my rears, good stand for the money. The fronts (imagine a shame-face here) are in a (very sturdy) bookcase. Marital compromise.....

A

Anonymous

The best ball joint wall brackets for 686/685's are the B-Tech BT38 "AVIBALL" brackets. I got mine for £45.

They hold the speaker about 95mm away from the wall, which is quite close for a rear ported design like the 686's but should be ok.

I looked good and hard and these are definately the best one's to go for.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts