Standmounts to Floorstanders

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm thinking of changing my atc11 speakers for a pair of floorstanders. I should have about £1500 to spend once i've sold the atc11s.

They will be used with Cyrus prexpd and a pair of monos so if anyone has the same set up or demo'ed similar your opinions and advice would be appreciated in making a short list.

Thanks

Hi J.M.B

If you are happy with the performance of your SCM11 monitors then i'll suggest looking at the SCM19's and SCM40's. Whilst the SCM19's are bookshelf monitors however they significantly better the SCM11's in greatly reducing distortion level and offer greater mid range detail, scale, dynamics and depth which you might feel is more then adaquate enough. If your budget allows SCM40's are truly superb with the legendry original studio soft dome unit. I feel the SCM40's are not only the finest VFM floorstanding speakers currently available regardless of price but are probably overall also the finest VFM speakers currently available on the market.

Your Cyrus electronics will be capable with either monitor.

Btw, Dynaudio's X32's and speakers from Vienna Acoustics are also worth a look

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

The ATCs are great speakers you do hear everything and no problem going loud. 90% of my music sounds brilliant but that last 10% doesn't quite sound right. Hard to explain but if i listen to something like Doves or Elbow its not quite right but something like nina Simone or Ray Lamontagne sounds brilliant.

J.M.B:The ATCs are great speakers you do hear everything and no problem going loud. 90% of my music sounds brilliant but that last 10% doesn't quite sound right. Hard to explain but if i listen to something like Doves or Elbow its not quite right but something like nina Simone or Ray Lamontagne sounds brilliant.

HI J.M.B

Yes, ATC's are fantastic monitors.
emotion-1.gif
If most of your recordings are good enough then i'll suggest you carry on with the bigger and better ATC monitors because the reproduction only gets significantly better. You'll hear even more of the 90% recordings and funnily enough ime (because of the lower distortion levels of the better models) you might also start to enjoy some (if not all) of the other 10%.

Btw, whilst ultimately it is a compromise i think 90% is good enough!
emotion-5.gif

The lower it distorts the more natural it sounds. Ime ATC monitors reproduce the stability and the power of the sound
emotion-2.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
As you like the ATC sound, I'd suggest the SCM19's. We were impressed with the SCM11's when we initially heard them, but less impressed with the SCM40's. Then we heard the 19's, and these were impressive in the same way as the 11's were, but so much better. Personally I think it's to do with the fact that the SCM19's use their SL bass/mid driver, which I think might just sway you. The 11's and 19's work well with the Cyrus amps, but the 40's seem far more fussy, and seem to need their own amplification to perform.

Floorstanders do have a slightly different sound than standmounts, which can be much more communicative and involving.

Grab yourself a demo and compare them to a few alternatives.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies so far. I am looking at floorstanders so that rules the 19's out and the 40's are a bit pricey. Looking at reviews and pricing these are some maybe's. Spendor A5, Proac Studio 140, Dynaudio Excite x32 and PMC GB1i. Is there any i should stay clear of or any that work well with Cyrus. Just trying to narrow down list to reduce milage and time this coming weekend.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The Dynaudios will work well with the Cyrus, but the ProAc would be my choice if you're looking for a nice, punchy sound. You could also try out the new KEF Q900's - they use 8" drivers and a 1.5" tweeter in a sealed cabinet. Going by what KEF have achieved with the cheaper models, it could turn out to be a cracker.

J.M.B:Thanks for the replies so far. I am looking at floorstanders so that rules the 19's out and the 40's are a bit pricey. Looking at reviews and pricing these are some maybe's. Spendor A5, Proac Studio 140, Dynaudio Excite x32 and PMC GB1i. Is there any i should stay clear of or any that work well with Cyrus. Just trying to narrow down list to reduce milage and time this coming weekend.

Hi J.M.B

Your welcome.

If the SCM19's are out of the equation and a new pair of SCM40's is out of budget then how about considering a used pair of SCM40's instead? With a little luck you might pick up a mint pair around your budget. The drive units and crossovers are built to last a lifetime so in all probability everything should be perfectly fine.

Whilst the SCM19's already offer a significant improvement over the SCM11's with the superb and massively engineered SLMT mid/bass drive unit (which itself weighs more then a complete SCM11!) however the SCM40's offer an even greater performance advantage over the SCM19's then the one which exists betwen the 19's and 11's. This is no mean feat and the main reason for this is because the studio Soft Dome (in particular) and the bass drive units are simply vastly superior to the already impressive SLMT drive unit. The studio Soft Dome can cover a range of 300Hz to 4KHz and achieves an exceptionally broad and even dispersion, so the reverberant soundfield matches the on axis sound. The result is a flat frequency response, almost anywhere in the room!

If you can find the time then please have a listen to the SCM40's as i feel you'll be it will be worth the effort. Btw, try this album You've Stolen My Heart by Kronos Quartet and Asha Bhosle. This will put all the speakers through their paces.

Btw, as i previously mentioned speakers from Vienna Acoustics are also worth considering as they are a good match for Cyrus electronics.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Hi J.M.B

I would also suggest sticking with ATC if you liked the scm11's.

I would class the PMC GB1i as a backward step from the scm11, so wouldn't consider them. I had the DB1i, which is essentially the standmount version of the GB1i and used the same drivers. I upgraded from the PMC's to a pair of ATC scm19's and the difference in all area's was massive.

Definitely arrange a demo of a few speakers. Or a home demo if you can.
As Rick said, if you can find some scm40's second hand im sure they will blow you away.

A

Anonymous

Again thanks for help/advice, i'll knock the PMC's off the list

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts