Standmount speaker test 250-400

lazar1980

Aug 17, 2008
Visit site
Regarding this speaker test in this months issue. Was really hoping to see Mezzo`s 2 on test since they can be picked up for less then 300quid atm and in last years test was very short run between 685`s and mezzo`s 2. Wondering if any1 listened all these speakers and can recommend one?

And especially will i have any noticable improvment over my 602s3?

Regards

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
What kind of music do you listen to?

I have demo'd both and went for the B&W 685's as i felt that their bass was better controlled over the Mezzo's and also that it went deeper.

I also felt that the overall soundstage of the 685's was better as it had a more detailed midrange and smoother treble.

Dont get me wrong; the Mezzo's are good speakers but for my taste in music (modern electronical - Leftfiel, Underworld, Hed Kandi, Fischerspooner, Layo & Bushwacka etc...) and partnering separates, the 685's won me over.

I have also owned the B&W 602 S2's and S3's and the 685's, IMO, blow these both away even though they are smaller in design. They still love to go loud though :)

One thing i can recommend is that swapping your speaker cable for Chord Carnival Silverscreen will make the B&W's sound a lot better!

A

Anonymous

I felt the mezzo's had a nicer treble than the 685's but lost out on the bass to them.

The 685's also have a great soundstageÿ

A

Anonymous

Go for the B&W 685's - they are the best of the lot. Superbly balanced and excellent speakers, and does well with all music genre. My opinion.

lazar1980

Aug 17, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for answers guys, guess its time to pop to local dealer and check for meself...

As for speaker and interconnect upgrade( think i saw interconnect also in your list. U reckon i`m good with mine?) you think that swapping qed silver anniv for chord silverscreen will give noticable improvment?

Cheers all
emotion-1.gif

manicm

Have to comment on the 685s, I have them but another UK magazine who have tested both the 685 and 683s remarked that they found their imaging to be only average, and my listening tends to bear this out.

What also seems to confirm my suspicions is the WHF review of the B&W CM5s right here on the site, having found the imaging to be considerably better than the 685s.

At the same time have to say that the 685s treble clarity is very good indeed, if just slightly lacking in 'air' and horizontal depth.

TRENDING THREADS