Standmount or floorstanders

Nelly

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone ive been driving myself insane with the dillema floorstanders or standmount.i have already saved up and bought the marantzpm6004 amp.my normal everyday use for the speakers would be mostly music played through my pc(streaming,mps,but mainly cd)i have a asus zonar essence sxt sound card which i love.my music tastes are mainly reggae,dance,rnb.dubstep(bass orientated)music but im not a bass head i prefer puch and detail more than house shaking bass.So guys i have £400 for speakers which would fit my needs more i love the look of the mordaunt short aviano 6,monitor audio bx2.my room measures 6m by 4m rectangle.any help will be greatly appreciated

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I know they are under budget but what about some Tannoy V4's? then you could spend the rest of cds!! If you are happy with a standmount idea instead- then the Boston Acoustics A26 are excellent but don't forget to factor in some stands and ballast. You might prefer the Monitor Audio BX2 which i've heard and found a little more direct sounding.

I also I did hear the Aviano 6 speakers driven by a Yamaha stereo amp - wasn't that keen. I thought there seemed too much bass - could have been to do with the small demo room though. worth a try if you want some floorstanders. Along with the Q Acoustics 2050i.

Nelly

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
hi thanks for the reply.i was looking at the tannoy mercury v4 alot of great reviews.also i like the look of the TANNOY REVOLUTION DC6 standmounter which i can get for about £360.not having heard any as im new to all this i just want the best sound i can get if that means less money ill take your word for it.what do you guys who have a marantzpm6004 amp use with yours i know everyones tastes are different but it would give me a good place to start.i could even stretch my budget to £600 just would have to save up a bit more.

Nelly said:
Hi everyone ive been driving myself insane with the dillema floorstanders or standmount.i have already saved up and bought the marantzpm6004 amp.my normal everyday use for the speakers would be mostly music played through my pc(streaming,mps,but mainly cd)i have a asus zonar essence sxt sound card which i love.my music tastes are mainly reggae,dance,rnb.dubstep(bass orientated)music but im not a bass head i prefer puch and detail more than house shaking bass.So guys i have £400 for speakers which would fit my needs more i love the look of the mordaunt short aviano 6,monitor audio bx2.my room measures 6m by 4m rectangle.any help will be greatly appreciated

Your room is big enough to accommodate floorstanders, so what you need to decipher is which ones gives you the best overall sound. The only way of doing this is to trot to a local dealer and listen for yourself. Once you have a preference ask for a home demo.

Tannoys, MS, MA , Wharfedale, Dali, Epos... all these have standmounters and floorstanders around your budget.

Nelly

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
yes i suppose ill have to bite the bullet and go sound check some.the only place near me for demos is richer sounds.have you guys had experience with them?

Nelly

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
yes i suppose ill have to bite the bullet and go sound check some.the only place near me for demos is richer sounds.have you guys had experience with them?

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Floorstanders could give you problems in standing waves, and could sound slow. Why not have a nice standmount like Epos Epic-2 or Epos Elan 15 ?

Good luck!

Pete68

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I've heard extremely good thinks about the Q-Acoustics Concept 20's, that they punch well above there weight in terms of price.

I don't know what they would sound like with the Marantz amp, best to get an audition.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
With that amp I would get speakers that are efficient/sensitive look for around 90DB rating or higher. The Epos may well suit but not many dealers have them. Another new on ethat RS has is AE 301s about £400. Floorstanders are generally more sensitive and produce more bass so maybe good for low volumes but also can be a problem if you don't have space away from walls. Do you have wooden or concrete floors? Only way is to hear them preferably at home.

PAULCHRISTOPHER

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Re the above comments I have never had standmounters but my opinion is that if you are using the floor space for the stands then you might as well get floorstanders so you get the increased cabinet volume.

PAULCHRISTOPHER

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I have recently bought Marantz PM6004, CD6004, NA7004 & Q Acoustics 2500i without demoing them just going off reviews and what hi-fi dealers sell together as deals. IMHO they work togetther superbly. The speakers are connected to the amplifier with Van Damme Blue 2.5 sq. The interconnects are Maplins best gold plated. My room is 4 meters by 6 meters and is quite heavily furnished with carpets and curtains. One of the speakers was faulty but was replaced by Peter Tyson of Carlisle without any problems. The speakers do need a few hours running in. My favourite types of music cover jazz and classical.Having debated with my wife about getting floorstanders I would never go back to the bookshelf speakers I had before.Incidentally the floor is concrete which might be relevant and better than a wood floor for solidity.Hope this helps in your decision.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
PAULCHRISTOPHER said:
Re the above comments I have never had standmounters but my opinion is that if you are using the floor space for the stands then you might as well get floorstanders so you get the increased cabinet volume.

There is quite a bit more to it than that. Yes and what does increased cabinet volume bring with it?

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
PAULCHRISTOPHER said:

How niave can you get . . . ?

PAULCHRISTOPHER

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I thought that my comment would provoke some response. I am no expert. I made my own speaker cabinets back in the 60's. Agreed bigger is not always better. But if the larger volume is used effectively and tuned correctly with the bass reflex port my inexpert opinion is that the increased volume would give better low frequency response. In the same way that a double bass is larger than a violin. Generally speaking over years where a manufacturer has a range of loudspeakers the more expensive will tend to be the larger cabinets with a lower low freqency response. There are no doubt small speakers costing £20,000 with a better frequency response than the QA 2500i's but I have spent about £1500 for a complete system so you would not be comparing like for like.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
PAULCHRISTOPHER said:
I thought that my comment would provoke some response. I am no expert. I made my own speaker cabinets back in the 60's. Agreed bigger is not always better. But if the larger volume is used effectively and tuned correctly with the bass reflex port my inexpert opinion is that the increased volume would give better low frequency response. In the same way that a double bass is larger than a violin. Generally speaking over years where a manufacturer has a range of loudspeakers the more expensive will tend to be the larger cabinets with a lower low freqency response. There are no doubt small speakers costing £20,000 with a better frequency response than the QA 2500i's but I have spent about £1500 for a complete system so you would not be comparing like for like.

I agree that large cabinet produces lower freq. ie more bass but it is also less stiff and as you have more bass you can see the problems that introduces. More expensive speakers may be larger that is because larger cabinets cost and need far more bracing than smaller standmounts however there are plenty of expenive standmounts around. Here are some guidelines: http://www.avreview.co.uk/news/article/mps/uan/11

PAULCHRISTOPHER

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I might be niave as far as Hi -fi is concerned but I have replaced one budget system with one I think is a little better and I am enjoying listening to my music on it. As regards the floorstander versus standmounter argument if Q Acoustics update the 2050i's with the new sandwich construction of the Concept 20 as they might well do it would be interesting to hear the difference between the Concept 20's on their dedicated stands and the floorstanders.

PAULCHRISTOPHER

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I agree with the positioning. I am still experimenting with different speaker positions. have five meters of cable on each speaker so this is no problem. All part of the fun! Also putting the foam bungs in and out of the bass ports. My previous speakers were four Mordaunt and Shorts (2 x10i's +2 x 20i's ) bookshelf speakers with a 1990's Technics amp etc. so you can see why I might easily be pleased. Digressing : Amazon download of Acker Bilks Beona Sera via PC Network with ethernet cable to Marantz NA7004 with M-Dax set at low through PM6004 to the QA 2050's is brilliant. The rasp from the trumpets is amazing. Just like being in a jazz club. If that is being niave long may I be so! At the end of the day it is the individuals aural perception of the reproduction of the music that matters.

BigH said:
The other problem with FS is positioning is generally less flexible and they need more space around them.

Sorry, don't agree. If a standmounter or FS is ported they both need at least 10-12" from the wall. There are one or two exceptions, but generally, and regardless size, they'll need breathing space. The only real advantage as regards positioning if the speaker is sealed.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
BigH said:
The other problem with FS is positioning is generally less flexible and they need more space around them.

Sorry, don't agree. If a standmounter or FS is ported they both need at least 10-12" from the wall. There are one or two exceptions, but generally, and regardless size, they'll need breathing space. The only real advantage as regards positioning if the speaker is sealed.

Not sure about that there are some port that are recommended to be closer than that to walls like the Epos Epics, PMC DB1s and Rega RS1s, I agree that sealed are better although Harbeths are recommend in free space.

Does it matter if rear or front ports?

BigH said:
plastic penguin said:
BigH said:

Not sure about that there are some port that are recommended to be closer than that to walls like the Epos Epics, PMC DB1s and Rega RS1s, I agree that sealed are better although Harbeths are recommend in free space.

Does it matter if rear or front ports?

Yes there are some like Rega, Totem and Ruark that work well close to a wall, but from personal experience PMC DB1i need as much room as my RS6 to sound good without any bloating. Still say that rule of thumb is so true.

Nelly

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
hi guys thanks for all the replies.today i just bought a pair of mission stancette stands so i could put my microlab solo 6c on and free some desk space.WOW the difference now they are 2 meters apart and the same distance from me to each speaker is insane, i play my music from my pc which i play sat on a sofa(creature comforts)with a tv stand just infront of the sofa with my monitor on it so my speakers are not near a back wall i would say they are atleast 4 feet from the rear wall and the left speaker is about 1 foot from the side wall and the right speaker in open space.the soundstage has grown dramatically.the floors are concrete.i do not have much of a choice for positioning as that is governed by the misses this is my corner of the room and thats that lol

Nelly

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
hi guys thanks for all the replies.today i just bought a pair of mission stancette stands so i could put my microlab solo 6c on and free some desk space.WOW the difference now they are 2 meters apart and the same distance from me to each speaker is insane, i play my music from my pc which i play sat on a sofa(creature comforts)with a tv stand just infront of the sofa with my monitor on it so my speakers are not near a back wall i would say they are atleast 4 feet from the rear wall and the left speaker is about 1 foot from the side wall and the right speaker in open space.the soundstage has grown dramatically.the floors are concrete.i do not have much of a choice for positioning as that is governed by the misses this is my corner of the room and thats that lol

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts