Stand by your sound section...

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
This is gona be a bit contentious but im bored and could do with a debate. Basically was reading the Stand by your sound section in the latest issue and had to chuckle at what was being written:

Hi fi racks can apparantly make a system sound 'bright', 'detailed', affect the bass,midrange and warmth....

Really? I find this really hard to believe and to me its a load of pretentious nonsense. I understand how a good rack is important (minimising vibrations etc). But any critisim that are not related to price, style and structural integrity i do not understand. How can one critisize a rack by stating things like "it could do with more warmth"??

What do people think. By the way im not have a go as such - more interested in understanding this issue.

Cheers!

A

Anonymous

Go Ikea I say. Their correa racks and lack tables are legendary. Unfortunately their probably too cheap to be taken seriously.

idc

I had a Target stand with a solid metal frame and wooden shelves further isolated by little foam pads. It did make a difference to the sound, especially beefing up and firming up the the base. I suspect that difference stands will make a difference, though auditioning would be difficult.

The article was a typical review, where the language used is describing differences in terms that to the sceptics are a complete and utter exaggeration, if not total nonsense. However, if your experience is that a stand can make a difference, then the terms used will make more sense and will help to make a decision as to what to buy. Particularly helpful where auditioning is very difficult. If I were in the market again I would have used that review to by the Target stand again. Not just for the sound, but also the looks and price.

A

Anonymous

You think that's bad, a certain competing publication was revealing that they had listened to different shaped rack surfaces giving rise to different sounds. If it comes down to this then I would advise changing hobby before sectioning happens...

...wonder what a fully padded room would sound like...a job for Cyrus and MA methinks.

A

Anonymous

igglebert:You think that's bad, a certain competing publication was revealing that they had listened to different shaped rack surfaces giving rise to different sounds. If it comes down to this then I would advise changing hobby before sectioning happens...

...wonder what a fully padded room would sound like...a job for Cyrus and MA methinks.

Lol

A

Anonymous

Depends on the quality of padding and run in.
emotion-1.gif

T

the record spot

igglebert:You think that's bad, a certain competing publication was revealing that they had listened to different shaped rack surfaces giving rise to different sounds. If it comes down to this then I would advise changing hobby before sectioning happens...

Not a million miles away from the esteemed hifi journo who claimed energy saving bulbs had a different bearing on the sound from standard ones and later bemoaned the (long overdue IMO) disappearance of the 'standby' button. Straitjackets please!!

basshead

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
''a certain competing publication was revealing that they had listened to different shaped rack surfaces giving rise to different sounds''

- was that said on april 1st by any chance? did they also claim to be able to fly, or time-travel? maybe the reviewer in question was fed up with their job and trying to get the sack or something.

A

Anonymous

the record spot:Not a million miles away from the esteemed hifi journo who claimed energy saving bulbs had a different bearing on the sound from standard ones
Now my limited understanding of energy saving light bulbs was that they put noise onto the mains. Perhaps I should leave that one there...

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
I decided to put my amp on the next to top shelf on my stand and the cd player underneath instead,there seemed less bass when I did this
emotion-42.gif
it must be my imagination.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts