Stand and Deliver

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
OK – so bash me over the head with a mallet for asking a simple Q but:-

My non-technical non-geeky understanding of types of speakers is that there are two main types:
Floor-standing and Stand-mounters (Yes, I guess there are others such as recessed, flat, underwater and goodness knows what other gimmicky things).
But in the esoteric HI-FI world I guess the FS and SM are the main choices.

It would appear to my limited Hi-Fi appreciation that position is critical for ANY type of speaker.
So, with regard to Stand-Mounters, “WHAT” one places these type of speakers on is critical.
Hence my question is “what characteristics and qualities should a good stand have?” ie What is a stand supposed to do musically?

Many thanks in advance
Serenity

"If you hear anything that I say, then I invite you to take it and use it as your own. If you resonate with it because that's what we will make it your own. And if you don't, then throw it away. Don't try to wear a shoe that pinches." Gary Zukav

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Musically, the perfect stand should not add nor subtract anything. It should provide a stable platform for the speaker to sit on, without rocking, flexing or resonating.

Basically, it allows the speaker to do exactly what the speaker manufacturer built it to do.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
A number of things:

1) To place the drivers at approx ear level
2) To reduce vibration
3) To provide space around the speaker rather than being on a bookshelf for isntance
4) Can't think of any more

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Well, in theory yes.

But there may be the case where a different speaker/stand combination suits your ears better.

For instance, if the speaker has lean bass to your ears, a heavier stand may help.

Are you thinking of any particular model?

Also, positioning of speakers can be critical - some like being near a rear/side wall, others need free space, some like to be facing directly forward, others like being angled in towards the listener...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim:4) Can't think of any more

4) To stop the speaker moving, however minutely, and ensure all the energy of the drive units is employed in shifting air, not the speaker. (Newton's Third Law of Motion and all that)

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
JoelSim:4) Can't think of any more

4) To stop the speaker moving, however minutely, and ensure all the energy of the drive units is employed in shifting air, not the speaker. (Newton's Third Law of Motion and all that)

Is that not part and parcel of number 2?

timwileman

Mar 19, 2008
Visit site
actually the energy will still be used up trying to move the speaker, so not quite precise....its just that the speaker wont move as the energy is not enough to move it as its ''held'' firm.

or am i talking poppycock?

A

Anonymous

Hi All,

I think I hear you all say

A platform that is:-

Stable
Resonance free
Inflexible
Able to reduce vibration
Stop the speaker from moving
Act as a mechanical ground
Give required free space

FatBoySlim - You are sort of on the right lines with asking "any particular model?"

I'm trying to get my head around how you go about narrowing down the right stand for the right speaker for the right room for "the listeners" who will either be suffering or enjoying.

It seems to me that matching the right speakers to a given system is difficult enough. When you add in the "room" and likes/dislikes of the audience it gets even harder. Then when you add in the be positioning/placement and platform for those "standmounters" - the options and choices (and mistakes) are multiplied many fold.

Hence me trying to get to the nitty gritty of Stand characteristics before being baffled by sales BULL!

Serenity

"If you hear anything that I say, then I invite you to take it and use it as your own. If you resonate with it because that's what we will make it your own. And if you don't, then throw it away. Don't try to wear a shoe that pinches." Gary Zukav

A

Anonymous

Had one of those EUREKA moments it the tub last night.

How about Speaker stands made out of Granite (or some other aesthetically pleasing stone)?

Something in the shape of a capital "I"

A
3" thick 8" square base, with a securely fixed 3" square column about
18" high, with a 1" thick 6" square platform secured on top.

It would be heavy, stable, nice to look at and something slightly unique.

Would this tick all the requirements boxes for Speaker stands?

Serenity

Another Day, another $

A

Anonymous

essentially yes this design would work. however, i could see it being very expensive to make and one similar to this that you can buy (made in granite) cost in the region of 400 quid. the steel stand you can readily buy often have the advantage of being hollow - thus allowing you to fill them with sand which will add mass to the stand and allow you to "tune" the stands to your liking... typically i believe the more sand you use the less bass your speaker will appear to produce (i say "appear" as the speaker is still making the same amount of bass but it will be more refined and focused)

A

Anonymous

So, someone has pinched my idea already. Bahhh-HuummBug!!!

BUT
If I could get these things knocked out at 199 quid a pair - I may be onto a winner!

Thinking out loud:- Ganite has been mentioned, but I wonder about Sandstone or Limestome.
Not quite as heavy and a little bit easier to machine. I may even be able to take up my Mallet and Chisel and knock something up that Michelangelo would be pleased with.

;-)
Serenity "PS - Cant wait for tonight soak!"

If you dont, someone else will

A

Anonymous

or build a cast (or three - one for each part) and pour cement into them! much cheaper than any of the other materials you mentioned!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts