squeze box vs apple tv

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
i plan to get one of these would just like to get a couple of arguments for and against

i have all my music saved in apple lossles to my pc takes up about 65gig and i have a dac magic and i would think about getting an ipod touch as a remote.

John Duncan

Arguments for Apple TV

- it plays movies
- plugged into your TV the interface is lovely (even without adding iPod remote)
- it can (though doesn't have to) store the music locally so your PC/NAS doesn't need to be on (but limited to 160gig*)
- without having done A/B, I think it might sound better than airport express via wireless into a DAC
- lots of hacks out there to add functionality (see my atvflash threads for their relative merits though, some claimed ones just don't work or are compromised)
- *atvflash allows you to add extra storage via USB hard drives

Arguments for Squeezebox

- cheaper
- better format support
- internet radio without a server being on

A

Anonymous

Argument against Apple TV

Its Apple, they've already sucked the life out of MP3 players and Phones with substandard expensive rubbish and demand you use Itunes for everything, just do yourself a favour and buy the best equipment, not the flashiest sounding adverts

Messiah

nodnarb4444:

i have all my music saved in apple lossles to my pc takes up about 65gig and i have a dac magic and i would think about getting an ipod touch as a remote.

Seems like the Apple TV is already a front runner...

Messiah

moomoo2:
Its Apple, they've already sucked the life out of MP3 players and Phones with substandard expensive rubbish and demand you use Itunes for everything, just do yourself a favour and buy the best equipment, not the flashiest sounding adverts

emotion-8.gif

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
thanx guys apple it is

only one problem ,its only a small one i wish it was black,i dont no if any of you have seen my setup in the my systems section but it does have a bit of a black look

anyone any good with an air brush?

A

Anonymous

How do you get that conclusion then?

It only supports Apple format standards and only runs with Itunes, granted the interface is nice to use.

If you want the best get the Netgear EVA9150 its won a few tests against all other comers including the Apple TV and wouldn't look out of place in a good home setup, supports more formats because you never know what you will want to do with it in the future . It also has HDMI connection which the Apple hasn't. It also has a 500gb drive.

Clearly a better piece of kit. Apple are average and expensive

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
moomoo2:

How do you get that conclusion then?

It only supports Apple format standards and only runs with Itunes, granted the interface is nice to use.

If you want the best get the Netgear EVA9150 its won a few tests against all other comers including the Apple TV and wouldn't look out of place in a good home setup, supports more formats because you never know what you will want to do with it in the future . It also has HDMI connection which the Apple hasn't. It also has a 500gb drive.

Clearly a better piece of kit. Apple are average and expensive

never heard of it,does it support apple lossless,who stocks it and how much pennys pls

A

Anonymous

OK i got the HDMI wrong, but they are expensive and average, you look across their range and you do get alot of mediocre kit.

The Iphone is not a good phone, its a good toy.

The Imac and Macbook are very expensive for the spec

Ipod shuffle is pointless when you have things like the Sansa

The main reason for Apple's success is Apps and docks, make all the accessories and people buy the thing to use them with.

The Ipod classic is good and the Mac mini is a good thing too, i don't hate them but they just really annoy me

Itunes is a nuisance and unnecessary as other MP3 players can do drag and drop

The Netgear is still a better Media streamer as it is higher quality and does more, that is a fact you cannot argue with

A

Anonymous

Ok it doesn't do Apple Lossless, I give up, go buy the Squeezebox

I was just trying to give another option to show there was one

Messiah

moomoo2:

emotion-8.gif

Have you used one?? I think the iPhone is simply amazing. Works fine as a phone doing pretty much what I look for - I can call someone and they can call me. Add to this all the additional functionality and it is a great piece of kit.

Don't get me wrong, some Apple stuff is expensive but they do make some amazing stuff.

method man

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Hi nodnarb.

You may be interested in my expereinces of the squeezebox in the my setup section

http://community.whathifi.com/forums/t/272669.aspx

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
moomoo2:Ipod shuffle is pointless when you have things like the Sansa

I can't even begin to understand that statement. Does that mean the Renault Clio is pointless when you have things like the Peugeot 207?!

moomoo2:The main reason for Apple's success is Apps and docks, make all the accessories and people buy the thing to use them with.

I think you may have that the wrong way round...

moomoo2:Itunes is a nuisance and unnecessary as other MP3 players can do drag and drop

I've yet to find another media player I like more than iTunes. The idea of having to drag and drop music onto my player fills me with dread! Of course, I understand it's horses for courses and for those that prefer that method, then iTunes / iPod isn't a good option, but for me iTunes is very necessary.

A

Anonymous

moomoo2 - what program do you use to organize your music on your computer?

I made the move to apple because of how easy it is to organize the music with iTunes and with Apple TV. plus its got a great looking interface.

I use to use windows media player but I just got so frustrated with it and found it difficult to organize and maintain.

I have never use the squeeze box but I can highly reccommend the Apple TV. it does all that you want plus think of this.. it's a COLD FREEZING rainy night and you and your woman are chilling on the couch. but there is nothing on TV! you can just turn on apple TV and rent a HD movie and be watching it in minutes!! for me that is worth the price

John Duncan

moomoo2:The Netgear is still a better Media streamer as it is higher quality and does more, that is a fact you cannot argue with

No I cannot, as I have only bought and experienced the Apple TV and have not compared the two side by side. Perhaps you could share your experience with the Netgear (which, whilst admittedly having a larger hard drive, carries about £6 difference in price...)?

And you'll note that I gave pros and cons and didn't recommend the Apple TV over the Squeezebox - I'm sure the OP could manage to do that for himself given some balanced advice on the product you suggest...

Juzzie Wuzzie

moomoo2:
OK i got the HDMI wrong, but they are expensive and average, you look across their range and you do get alot of mediocre kit.

Ipod shuffle is pointless when you have things like the Sansa

The main reason for Apple's success is Apps and docks, make all the accessories and people buy the thing to use them with.

The Ipod classic is good and the Mac mini is a good thing too, i don't hate them but they just really annoy me

Itunes is a nuisance and unnecessary as other MP3 players can do drag and drop

The Netgear is still a better Media streamer as it is higher quality and does more, that is a fact you cannot argue with

Best you go out and short Apple stock.

mushroomgod

May 25, 2009
Visit site
moomoo2:

incorrect, the Iphone is a very good phone and a very good toy. As well that that its a whole lot more but im guessing you dont really care for anything more, but if you do....media player, gps, compass (which belive it or not I thinks fantastic!), networking device etc...

moomoo2:

The spec of both of these - and most of apples consumer gear is near totaly pointless. People dont buy those kinds of computer for the spec, they buy them for the OS, and the overall design - Which 99% of the populatiuon would agree is very high.

moomoo2:The main reason for Apple's success is Apps and docks, make all the accessories and people buy the thing to use them with.

?? there apps have nothing at all to do for there success , 90% of there success is down the the ipod. Apps and docks are pretty new things.

moomoo2:The Ipod classic is good and the Mac mini is a good thing too, i don't hate them but they just really annoy me

YEP......

moomoo2: Itunes is a nuisance and unnecessary as other MP3 players can do drag and drop

As it happens, I kinda like Itunes - and I know my dad does, I very much doubt he even knows what drag and drop is. But that alown proves that people just like to use things based on the software and its usability.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts